1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? β'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

I finished Kingdom last night. Very good show. Bad finale. It's my first Korean show so maybe that's just how they do season finales. It was unimpressive. Show itself was great though.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I know of this masterpiece:

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

That is not singing. It's screaming.

tjs282 and Kyriakos like this.
  4. Valka D'Ur

Since this bit of conversation has been revived, allow me to present to you the Pernell Roberts version of "They Call the Wind Maria":

That's my preferred version of a "singing cowboy." ;)

5. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Rewatched Dollhouse. Had to get from the library cuz they took it off Netflix. Great show even 2nd time thru.

Cutlass likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Child in Time proved that the two are not mutually exclusive. Of couse, it did not involve cowboys.

7. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I persuaded my partner to watch the last English royal wedding by reminding her that it was Anthropology, her post-grad before seeing the light and doing Law. :)
    I watched, wishing like hell that the American preacher would rip off his cassock mid-service to reveal a flashy suit and then break out into:

Sadly, the only fervent wishes I have ever made that came true were the tight result for the Brexit referendum and the election of Donald Trump. :(
    I still have one more good chance if there's a 2nd Brexit referendum.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  8. Valka D'Ur

I'm fairly sure the Queen wouldn't have been amused. I did notice that Prince Andrew's daughters and a few others were hard put to keep a straight face during that overly-long mess. I just turned the mute button on until he was done yapping.

One reason I watched it was to see just how weird the hats were.

9. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

American Gods: The latest episode was the best of a bad bunch this season.
    Barry: Ok in the background.
    Killing Eve: Good with excellent pyjamas.
    The Orville: Better than Star Trek and Dr Who, but so is death from Ebola.

10. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

BONDING. New comedy show from Netflix. Really short, something like 6 episodes at less than 20 minutes each. About BDSM. It was surprisingly amusing.

I caught up on the second season of Star Trek: Discovery. It was... very bad. Pike as a character is being woefully wasted on pure nonsense.

The rest of season 2 of The Orville is next. I stopped watching after episode 7 because the story was rotating between "petty inane personal drama" and "Bortus' species is terrible and everyone knows it, but nobody does anything about it". Based on a review from a friend it sounds like they super double-downed on the latter, but I figured I might as well see it through. I really thought the first season was fantastic so I have a vague hope the second season can redeem itself.

I burned through a show called Between. Two seasons before getting cancelled. It was decent, pretty standard-fare virus/government conspiracy story. Nothing to write home about but not bad either. 12 episodes in total so not a huge commitment.

11. civvver

civvver Deity

I might bail on the walking dead for once and for all. It's just so boring.

Season 1 I found late, so I watched that on netflix I think, maybe reruns. Season 2-7 I watched live, minus maybe an episode here or there I missed and watched on demand the next day. But I was a regular and looked forward to it. Season 8 was the first one I said ehhh I don't feel compelled to see this as soon as possible any more. I watched it all on demand, but in spurts like 2-3 episodes one night, then wait a few weeks watch some more. Season 9, wow. I watched the first half on demand and it was ok I guess, but now the season is done and the second half is so bad. I'm 1.5 episodes in and I can't stomach it. Might bail.

I bailed on fear the walking dead sometime into season 3 for same reasons. It just got super old and tired.

It's kind of sad. Walking dead was never a great show with regard to acting and writing like breaking bad or sopranos or mad men, but it was a really great show to watch with compelling characters and an interesting story. Now all the new characters suck, most of the originals are gone or unrecognizable, the settings never change, the show never evolved into anything better. It's stuck in a huge rut.

Synsensa likes this.
  12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I never saw why Sopranos supposedly was a good show. But i already hated mafia movies since the 90s (when every second movie was a mafia one).
    I suppose production value was good, but the story imo is trivial and couldn't be more about the surface of things.

13. civvver

civvver Deity

The acting is really good, aside from a few characters (looking at you AJ) and it was one of the first popular shows to make the hero guy a bad guy. Tony Soprano is a psychopath, a really bad dude, yet the show got you to sympathize with him, is that called and anti hero? Idk, but it's a theme. Other shows later did the same like breaking bad, dexter, etc but Sopranos came before all those. And I don't think it's surface level at all. It's a lot about depression and mental health and how to cope. Even though Tony is a gangster, he could just as easily be a normal guy some middle manager at a company somewhere with all the same baggage and issues. It's relatable in that way.

Kyriakos and Snerk like this.
  14. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

The Sopranos is also frequently cited as the beginning of the "prestige tv" era*, of premium cable networks and now, streaming services producing high-quality shows that has flipped the tables and, among other things, drawn movie actors to television series. It predates The West Wing by several months, and The Wire by a couple of years.

* Fans of Sex & The City could make a case for that show, which beat The Sopranos by about 6 months.

Kyriakos likes this.
  15. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

I still like it, but that might me my kind of fanboyism.
    Not the fanboy who obsessively wants to complain and looks for deviations from the source, but the fanboy who loved the source and desperately wants to also like and defend the adaption.

16. civvver

civvver Deity

It launched a whole bunch of original series stuff by the hbos and showtimes, and then later Mad Men opened the floodgates for regular cable networks.

If you don't like the Sopranos I get it, the genre is different. It's a drama about a crime family but it's not really a crime drama, nor is it action.

17. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Doctor of Funk

AMC has had some great stuff. The Killing and Halt and Catch Fire are among my favorite shows, and those aren't even the shows the channel is famous for. A really underrated show, imho, was Rubicon; I think like eight people watched it when it aired, and you can't even stream it now.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Fox is putting on all the seasons of The Simpsons, one at a time, twice a day, for this whole month. Somebody help me, for the next fortnight I'll be enthralled.

19. metatron

metatron unperson

Wow, ok, i'm only very late to this.
    It's also remarkable how we have no batting order whatsoever.
    Anywho, bygones.

(only seen earlier parts, feel free to spoil, i'm immune, don't care - i go "well, i'll go see how that happens then")​

In case you, Egon, still remotely care, let me comment:
    Spoiler :
    You mean in the first episode?
    Yes, that's Alexanderplatz, partly.
    It's mostly CGI, obviously, since most of the buildings retained their function - until airborne demolition, that is.
    Oh, it would be horrible otherwise. Because it's not just a period piece.
    It's a milieu setting.
    So there has to be Berlinerish accent and idioms.

Do you get that there's accents?
    (It's not that relevant to the story (Rath is giving himself away as a person of relative status by speaking High German (he switches to Rhenian with the Apothecary) but it's not like that's a secret).)
    I'm just wondering. :)

Yes and no.

Gereon is a Saint's name. St. Gereon of Cologne. Some martyr bro.
    That it's Cologne exactly is not the point (although that may have motivated Rath's parents).
    It's a catholic culture name; exists in France too, i guess.
    Like...
    ...de-german her for a second: She'd be Charlotte Knight, and there's this dude - soaked at this point in heroin, his own urine, some other dude's blood - who has some odd dated name, because Rhenian's are weirdos.

Some still exist, but they are most are restricted to "employees only".
    They used to be very common, i suppose more so (and longer) here than in the US or UK.

I have to randomly explain ideomatic shenanigans lost in translation.
    There's no point. I could have picked any number of other scenes.
    I just can't help myself with this one.

When Lotte takes Greta to see the Widow (the capital W one), Greta - eventually - addresses her with the standard greeting, particularly up-rank: Gnä'Frau i.e. gnädige Frau i.e. merciful woman.
    People just say that, like m'am', they don't mean it literally.
    The Widow - who probably has done this before - doesn't miss a beat:
    "Nuh-uh, merciful is the dear Lord..."​

20. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I'm watching 14 diaries for the first world war and enjoying it greatly so far. Lots of interesting archive material and the diaries are fascinating. Not sure if it exists in English though.

It's a great psychological spectacle and tells some very human stories. It's close to what Dostoyevski would be doing if he grew up in New York and did TV series for a living.

Anti Hero doesn't meanl "evil guy", it's literally the antithesis of a hero: A clumsy, good for nothing nobody who fails at everything. Roughly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.