Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ agreed on most points. what made you dislike the dialogue?

It seems that a few of the characters (maybe even everyone other than the lead scientist) are there to just serve as a wall to make the ball roll to a specific end. Basically most of the characters either have no believable personality (KGB boss), are shells which signify angst (the three accused at the trial), are caricatures of historical figures (Gorbachev), are middle America victim and protector (fireman's wife and the fictional second scientist) or exist just to follow a simple arc without much realism (the main political guy we see).
As for specific words used, i have to doubt that the russian scientist used this sort of "our lies doomed us" line. This does sound a bit childish, no?

I did like the dynamic between the three accused ones, or between the chief manager of the plant and his subordinates. But really, if the show writers would bother to just read some russian literature of the time it would likely come across as more authentic (while the "little person" is a known stereotype in russian literature of the 19th and 20th century, the type presented in HBO's show does again seem like an oversimplification).
Maybe i am wrong on that point, i don't know; i just suspect it was americanized - and in this case it wasn't just an american stereotype of an american, but one of a russian, so even less believable. Maybe @red_elk can help there, if he watches the show.

Does Tales from the Crypt still count?
I spent last week watching one Hammer Horror film per night every night so definitely.

Finished Glow S1 a couple of weeks ago (great), Kimmy Schmidt S3 a couple of days ago (I realised with hindsight: Netflix of course ran us straight into S4:E1 without asking or telling*), and S1 of both Jessica Jones (rather anticlimatic, considering) and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina yesterday (again, with hindsight: I watched the inter-series Yuletide episode).
Spoiler * :
... so we saw Lillian going from debating whether or not to visit Europe/Norway with Artie, to her looking to scatter his ashes, which was a little, erm... jarring — no pun intended (well, OK, maybe just a little!).
Still chugging on with Luke Cage S1 and also occasionally watching 3Below for some comic relief after the Dark'N'GrittyTM stuff.

(Having just seen Nurse Claire turn up in Jessica Jones) now considering going back to finish Dare-Devil S1 before I start JJ S2. In the meantime, I'll probably start on Glow S2 next, and to tide us over until Derry Girls S2 reaches our neck of the Netflix woods, Sex Education also looks like it might be quite fun (I watched E1 of Bonding out of curiosity a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't engaged...).

Does anyone watch The Son on AMC? How is the new season? Finding it hard to get back in to since the first season was two years ago and I mostly forgot what happened. Just sticking with peaky blinders during workouts, though Snowfall on FX is returning next month and I'm pumped. RIP Jon Singleton.

Finished Glow S1 a couple of weeks ago (great), Kimmy Schmidt S3 a couple of days ago (I realised with hindsight: Netflix of course ran us straight into S4:E1 without asking or telling*), and S1 of both Jessica Jones (rather anticlimatic, considering) and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina yesterday (again, with hindsight: I watched the inter-series Yuletide episode).
Spoiler * :
... so we saw Lillian going from debating whether or not to visit Europe/Norway with Artie, to her looking to scatter his ashes, which was a little, erm... jarring — no pun intended (well, OK, maybe just a little!).
Still chugging on with Luke Cage S1 and also occasionally watching 3Below for some comic relief after the Dark'N'GrittyTM stuff.

(Having just seen Nurse Claire turn up in Jessica Jones) now considering going back to finish Dare-Devil S1 before I start JJ S2. In the meantime, I'll probably start on Glow S2 next, and to tide us over until Derry Girls S2 reaches our neck of the Netflix woods, Sex Education also looks like it might be quite fun (I watched E1 of Bonding out of curiosity a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't engaged...).
Glow is my favorite comedy - and one of my favorite shows, period - of the last few years (full disclosure, though, I'm not a fan of the traditional "sitcom").

On the Marvel side, all 3 seasons of Daredevil are worth watching, imo. If you plan to watch The Punisher, you should watch season 2 of Daredevil first, because that's where Frank Castle's story begins. The scenes with Matt Murdock and Jessica Jones were the best parts of The Defenders, but otherwise I didn't love that series. Iron Fist is only for folks who feel compelled to watch everything Marvel-related - I'd rank it last among all the series, including Runaways and Cloak & Dagger over on Hulu.

If it makes any difference to you when you watch things, season 3 of Jessica Jones is due later this month, and season 3 of GLOW is due in August. Of course, part of the point to a streaming service is that you can watch these shows whenever you like.

A little violence and "pardon my French" language in the trailer. No nudity or gore, so let's call it 'mildly NSFW.' The villain seems to be played by the guy who was in Russian Doll, another Netflix series I really liked.

EDIT: I looked him up. Jeremy Bobb. He was also in some episodes of The Son, which somebody mentioned.

G.L.O.W. is awesome and it got renewed for S3
Season 2: The full episode of the show-within-the-show was one of my favorite things on television last year. I'll probably rewatch season 2 before season 3 is released.

So when disney pulls are their content plus fox content off netflix it'll still be worth keeping huh?

So when disney pulls are their content plus fox content off netflix it'll still be worth keeping huh?
They're spending eye-watering amounts of money on original content. They're signing people like Ava Duvernay to multi-project contracts, they're developing stuff based on Mark Millar's comics (Millar wrote Wanted; Kick-Ass; and Kingsman, as well as Civil War and Logan for Marvel Comics, all of which have become movies already) and they're scooping up international content like a vaccum-cleaner. They have movies and tv series from Korea, India, Turkey, Brazil, Germany, and Norway already. They co-produced Tom Tykwer's German series Babylon Berlin, with Sky 1, but I suspect they're moving away from co-productions. iirc, it was Netflix who pulled the plug on Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Punisher, not Marvel. The 3rd season of Babylon Berlin is due at the end of this year, incidentally.

A little violence and "pardon my French" language in the trailer. No nudity or gore, so let's call it 'mildly NSFW.' The villain seems to be played by the guy who was in Russian Doll, another Netflix series I really liked.

EDIT: I looked him up. Jeremy Bobb. He was also in some episodes of The Son, which somebody mentioned.

Hm, she is that Eva Green look-alike.
Evan Green> Eva Green look-alikes, imo :)

I think they are also having issues getting out of their Netflix contracts as well. Pretty sure they announced their marvel and star wars properties were getting pulled by this January or something then could not do it.

I still haven't had a chance to watch the Chernobyl finale yet - still sitting on our DVR. But, in related news:
Russia is making its own 'correct' version of Chernobyl that will blame AMERICA and the CIA for the nuclear disaster following the unexpected success of the new HBO show

Spoiler :

• Russian broadcaster NTV is filming its own version of HBO's Chernobyl series
  • Director says it will depict the 1986 nuclear disaster as part of a CIA plot
  • Russia has been shamed by HBO depiction of Soviet blunders after incident
  • Still the HBO series has garnered a positive response with many Russian viewers

:lol:

I mean, I would genuinely be surprised if the CIA wasn't involved in one way or another, it's quite literally their job to meddle and provide intelligence into external affairs.

The CIA gains nothing from perpetrating a Chernobyl event, unless we're going to assume they're galaxy-braining things. Might as well just call them the Illuminati.

Either way, the HBO series uses direct Soviet information and testimony. The Russian government is just mad that its own media about Chernobyl is terrible in comparison.

HBO just made a show; it isn't reality, m8.

I'm enjoying "Into the Badlands" at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom