Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was traveling during the Columbo days so missed them, will take advantage of youtube and watch a few.

I'm finishing up season 2 of the Deuce. Fabulous TV.

Started watching S2 of GLOW yesterday. Sublime.

Just finished Chernobyl. It is excellent.

I have never seen any production, neither Russian nor Western, portraying everyday items/scenery of late 80s with such accuracy. 12/10.

Top notch acting. 10/10

Two or three scenes have characters say things that make little sense, as if they were incredibly naive and unfamiliar with Soviet reality (Khomyuk with Belarus party boss and Legasov questioning 30-km quarantine radius with Scherbina spring to mind), so script gets 9/10.

Hm. That seems to be a show about female wrestlers.
Yes. I was astonished to discover (though maybe shouldn't have been, given the USA in the mid-80s!), it's a fictionalisation based on an actual cable TV show/ franchise. But regardless of the cheesy premise, the show/cast is very good.

Just finished Chernobyl. It is excellent.

I have never seen any production, neither Russian nor Western, portraying everyday items/scenery of late 80s with such accuracy. 12/10.

Top notch acting. 10/10

Two or three scenes have characters say things that make little sense, as if they were incredibly naive and unfamiliar with Soviet reality (Khomyuk with Belarus party boss and Legasov questioning 30-km quarantine radius with Scherbina spring to mind), so script gets 9/10.
I haven't watched it yet™ but I did watch a local TV programme interview an Ukrainian man who pointed out some mistakes in the way of address (I can testify that USians cannot get their heads around formality, let alone Russian patronymics).

He also did say that those who didn't volunteer for clean-up work in relatively dangerous areas got volunteered for clean-up work in even more dangerous areas, and things like that. Also that the government initially lied its arse off, which sounds like standard operating procedure for governments in my experience.

Hm. That seems to be a show about female wrestlers.
Not exactly. It's a show about a bunch of failures, misfits, losers and freaks trying to make something of themselves. The wrestling is just the vehicle, in two ways; it's the vehicle for the show, but it's also the vehicle for the characters within the show - they're all show business washouts and wannabes, and part of the joke at the beginning is that none of them know what they're doing. There's a winking sense of humor about the show-within-the-show; the ridiculousness of pro wrestling is part of the story. It's Major League-meets-This is Spinal Tap, well-written and well-acted.

Addendum: Just watched the trailer for season 3. Hoo-boy. Not good. I think maybe they were going for an '80s-style movie trailer, but... *cringe* But if you haven't watched the show yet, you don't want to jump in on season 3 anyway.

Last edited:
Well, Doom Patrol recently became available on HBO Nordic (to which we have a subscription). As an old fan of the Grant Morrison run on the comic, I am amazed to death that something like this has actually been made in this day and age.

Well, Doom Patrol recently became available on HBO Nordic (to which we have a subscription). As an old fan of the Grant Morrison run on the comic, I am amazed to death that something like this has actually been made in this day and age.
It's gotten pretty good reviews. I expect I'll give the DC Comics streaming service a whirl at some point, and Doom Patrol will be first on my list.

It's gotten pretty good reviews. I expect I'll give the DC Comics streaming service a whirl at some point, and Doom Patrol will be first on my list.

I'm like three episodes in and it's a blast so far.

Comes with a fourth-wall-breaking narrator-villain who literally starts out the first episode by being sarcastic about the need for yet another TV series about superheroes, and who pokes fun of how "Grant Morrison fans and reddit trolls" will react to it.

Watched the first few eps of Jessica Jones 3rd season. Only to realize I don't recall the second season well enough to remember all the things that they are constantly referencing.

Watched the first few eps of Jessica Jones 3rd season. Only to realize I don't recall the second season well enough to remember all the things that they are constantly referencing.
I think the only big thing that carries over to this season is that...
Spoiler :
Trish killed Jessica's mom, when Jessica thought she might be getting through to her.

Anything worth streaming on Amazon Prime? It looks to me like a lot of crap.
Good Omens. The Expanse. Man in the High Castle.
Also Orphan Black, Mr. Robot, Fleabag, Battlestar Galactica (2004), The Americans, and the English-language remakes of Humans and The Killing.

If you like scifi and are willing to roll back the clock, they have The X-Files, Stargate SG-1, Babylon-5, Farscape, the more recent Doctor Whos, and I think all of the Star Treks except the current one.

They also have a distribution deal with HBO that gives them several series that have completed their runs: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Spartacus, True Blood, Veep. They don't have Game of Thrones yet, but maybe give it another year..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom