Which television shows are you watching? β'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been rewatching Stargate Universe the last couple of weeks, and it's better than I remembered. I seem to recall that it ended on a gigantic cliffhanger. 10 years later, it's probably all-but impossible that a streaming service would revive a low-rated series (and it wouldn't be my first choice anyway - Hannibal would be) but it would be fun to know what the writers would have done with a 3rd season. I presume that they'd at least sketched something out on the proverbial bar napkin before the show was canceled.

Decided to watch Rockford files
, did some searching and found Season 1, ep 1.

Great find, it's got James Woods playing what James Woods plays best .... love the dog.

I finished season 3 of Stranger Things last night. Possibly their best season. :thumbsup:

Steve, Dustin, Robin and Erica could have their own show, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, now I have "The Neverending Story" stuck in my head.

Full-season spoilers:
Spoiler :
A subplot with Will must have hit the cutting-room floor. There was Mike's brief line about him not liking girls, and then Will has his freakout on their fort, and then... nothing.

I also liked seeing Max and El become friends; I didn't think their semi-rivalry in season 2 was interesting or compelling.

Of course I don't believe Hop's dead. He went through the gate before it closed. I'm not as convinced as some people are that he's "The American", but it's a solid theory.

Millie Bobby Brown said that she didn't listen to or read Hopper's speech to El until they were really filming the scene. And she was actually listening to David Harbour's recording of the voice-over, for the first time, while filming it, so that her reaction would be authentic. I don't know if the version we see was the actual first take, but it might've been.
I agree it was the best season. I couldn't stand Season 2 and I almost didn't give this season a chance as I wasn't that enthralled with the first season to begin with. But man this season really delivered.

The new characters are good and I like the way the Steve Harrington has developed. Agreed about Max and El.

I finished season 3 of Stranger Things last night. Possibly their best season. :thumbsup:

Steve, Dustin, Robin and Erica could have their own show, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, now I have "The Neverending Story" stuck in my head.

Full-season spoilers:
Spoiler :
A subplot with Will must have hit the cutting-room floor. There was Mike's brief line about him not liking girls, and then Will has his freakout on their fort, and then... nothing.

I also liked seeing Max and El become friends; I didn't think their semi-rivalry in season 2 was interesting or compelling.

Of course I don't believe Hop's dead. He went through the gate before it closed. I'm not as convinced as some people are that he's "The American", but it's a solid theory.

Millie Bobby Brown said that she didn't listen to or read Hopper's speech to El until they were really filming the scene. And she was actually listening to David Harbour's recording of the voice-over, for the first time, while filming it, so that her reaction would be authentic. I don't know if the version we see was the actual first take, but it might've been.

I don't plan to watch it, cause I regarded s1 as terrible and didn't bother seeing s2.
But how can you like something like this?

That isn't even good music, nevermind all the other types of cringe going on :)

Finished off Part I of 3Below, started on Part II. Still glorious.

By accident (i.e. a Wimbledon doubles final lasting over 5 hours) and the efforts of the Japan Foundation I've found about two live-action Japanese series called Ramen-loving Girl and Time Taxi. Strange, and with Japanese humour, but good.

I don't plan to watch it, cause I regarded s1 as terrible and didn't bother seeing s2.
But how can you like something like this?

That isn't even good music, nevermind all the other types of cringe going on :)
It's not about the music, it's about the characters and the story. If you see it in context, you 'get' it. All season, Dustin had been talking about his 'girlfriend that he met at science camp', who he just couldn't seem to get in touch with.

Episode 8 spoilers, for people still watching the series:
Spoiler :
In this 8th and final episode, with everyone poised on the edge of doom, at one of the tensest moments, we learn that Dustin wasn't making up the story about the girl he met at science camp, and out of nowhere there's this bizarre swerve into a comedic musical number. All of the other characters are listening, because it's on their shared radio frequency, and everybody has to stop and wait. At 1:00, you can see Steve and Robin with their mouths hanging open as if to say "what the actual [fork]?", and in the background, they're literally being chased by a giant monster. At 1:32, you see David Harbour and Winona Ryder wearing green army uniforms, because they're right in the middle of infiltrating a secret Soviet base to break into a safe (that's why they need Planck's Constant - it's the safe code). Ryder turns away like she's about to bang her own head against the wall, and we can't tell if she's laughing or crying. It's a deliberately absurdist moment. And just like Dustin's friends throughout the season never believed that he really had a girlfriend at science camp, his girlfriend naturally doesn't believe that he's trying to save the world from monsters from another dimension.

It's not about the music, it's about the characters and the story. If you see it in context, you 'get' it. All season, Dustin had been talking about his 'girlfriend that he met at science camp', who he just couldn't seem to get in touch with.

Episode 8 spoilers, for people still watching the series:
Spoiler :
In this 8th and final episode, with everyone poised on the edge of doom, at one of the tensest moments, we learn that Dustin wasn't making up the story about the girl he met at science camp, and out of nowhere there's this bizarre swerve into a comedic musical number. All of the other characters are listening, because it's on their shared radio frequency, and everybody has to stop and wait. At 1:00, you can see Steve and Robin with their mouths hanging open as if to say "what the actual [fork]?", and in the background, they're literally being chased by a giant monster. At 1:32, you see David Harbour and Winona Ryder wearing green army uniforms, because they're right in the middle of infiltrating a secret Soviet base to break into a safe (that's why they need Planck's Constant - it's the safe code). Ryder turns away like she's about to bang her own head against the wall, and we can't tell if she's laughing or crying. It's a deliberately absurdist moment. And just like Dustin's friends throughout the season never believed that he really had a girlfriend at science camp, his girlfriend naturally doesn't believe that he's trying to save the world from monsters from another dimension.

Couldn't they just use wiki to get Plank's constant? Or is this the 80s, before books were invented? ^_^

Last edited:
I watched the first couple eps of The City & The City. First of all, they chose the wrong Chine Mieville novel for an adaptation, but setting that aside for a moment... This is pretty boring. I think it would also be confusing, if I hadn't read the book. I wonder if someone who hadn't would have the slightest idea what's going on with the setting. Doesn't matter, I guess, I probably won't finish it.

Now, about that 6-episode adaptation of Perdido Street Station. I'm thinking we lock Terry Gilliam and Guillermo Del Toro in a room together with a 12-pack of energy drinks, a laptop and a copy of the book, and see what they come up with.

Hi cfc, it's ya boy, moronwithterribleideasandtaste_147 here

I have been watching the japanimations lately, and I'm currently looking at an entire nine different kidshows series to watch from next, which I've gathered in a freecollage4all

one of them is a movie and not a tv-series but whatever

anyway I am here to outsource and crowdsource which one of these 九 pieces of trash to watch next, which you can vote on here https://www.strawpoll.me/18347268

please don't forget to like and subscribe

I must disagree - I loved the show a lot more when it was more of a supernatural thriller and less of an absurd-comedy.
Still decent as far as absurd-comedies go, but that's it.
Yeah, they're almost different shows (which I like, I'm glad they're not repeating themselves). For me, the difference is in the characters. I liked the quartet of Steve, Robin, Dustin and Erica more than the original quartet of Mike, El, Lucas and Dustin. I liked Max and El in season 3, and of course Max wasn't in the first season. On the red side of the ledger, I didn't like Hopper in season 3, where he was one of my favorite characters in the first two seasons.

Season 3, episode 8 spoiler:
Spoiler :
My sense that Hop is still alive comes partly from the feeling that the writers wouldn't let the final chapter of his arc be as the tool. After his "heel turn", he needs to be able to redeem himself.

Hi cfc, it's ya boy, moronwithterribleideasandtaste_147 here

I have been watching the japanimations lately, and I'm currently looking at an entire nine different kidshows series to watch from next, which I've gathered in a freecollage4all

one of them is a movie and not a tv-series but whatever

anyway I am here to outsource and crowdsource which one of these 九 pieces of trash to watch next, which you can vote on here https://www.strawpoll.me/18347268

please don't forget to like and subscribe

Don't waste your time with Elfen Lied. It is trash.

You think that most things are bad.

It's true. :lol:

I've been watching Stranger Things 3. Dunno how to feel about it. First episode was great but the next two have been meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom