Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also like the bit where all of the miners pat the guy in the suit as they're walking past, and then the last one says, "Now you look like a mine supervisor."
*Minister of Coal*

But yes that was funny... although I saw it coming a mile away. From the moment he arrived at the mine with that sparkling, powder blue custom tailored suit I was thinking "Yeah those miners are having none of that, someone is going to smear coal all over that ridiculous suit". Especially once he revealed that he was essentially intending to send them to their deaths at gunpoint, without even telling them where they were going beforehand. The least they could do was soil his nice suit. What I didn't expect, was that every single one of them would get their licks in :lol:

Aaaahhh… the warm, soothing glow of television… I could freeze out in the drifting snows watching it while holding my fire-axe.

I've now finished The Big Bang Theory.
Man, that's from March on, with nearly daily watching.
And I feel sad :cry:. Yes, it started repeating things, and you could anticipate jokes. But still, it was good, and it's over now.
Feels a bit the same as after a long and good computer game. Somehow nostalgic, but with fond memories.

Yesterday also finished Geniuses of the Modern World.
3 x 1h, about Marx, Nietzsche and Freud. The visuals were sometimes random, but it had good information content. I barely knew anything about Nietzsche, but now I feel better informed.

I finished Dark and I liked that they wrapped up most of the major plot lines and I enjoyed the way the whole thing ended. I did not like how they introduced a parallel universe in the final season, I felt that was dumb and unnecessarily confusing. This show kept skirting right up to the edge of Lost-territory when it came to the plot confusion and mystery generation and at times I came close to hating it. They usually managed to walk back from the crazy abyss but I still think they could have trimmed 25% of the extraneous plot lines and time loops and been better off. I might have already posted this before, I don't remember.

Since over 24 hours have passed since local_hero earned the right to start the new thread (post #1000), it should be @EgonSpengler who does it (post #999).

Last edited:
The epilogue actually addresses a few of these, which I thought was a nice touch.

The epilogue itself isn't accurate. The claim they made about bridge appears to be an urban legend and IIRC that wasn't the only slip. Probably the one thing about Chernobyl that puts me off: don't claim things in the epoligue that aren't true. Doing so is wilful deception.

I thought this book would be right up my alley
https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/21/21449127/ships-of-the-expanse-rpg-book-rocinante-deck-plan

The Expanse RPG is getting a big book of ships — here’s an exclusive look
Ships of the Expanse was created with the help of the original authors

Honestly though this is not a good way to illustrate spaceship interiors for entertainment.
Spoiler :

I much prefer more dynamic cutaway drawings:
Spoiler :

The drawing of the Rocinante looks like an image taken from the game Faster Than Light which is not a good comparison to be making tbh. This new illustrated book is really about helping role playing tabletop gamers rather than throwing space nerds like me a bone. :sad:

This book is right up my alley
https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/21/21449127/ships-of-the-expanse-rpg-book-rocinante-deck-plan

Honestly though this is not a good way to illustrate spaceship interiors for entertainment.
Spoiler :

I much prefer more dynamic cutaway drawings:
Spoiler :

The drawing of the Rocinante looks like an image taken from the game Faster Than Light which is not a good comparison to be making tbh. It seems that this new illustrated book is really about helping role playing tabletop gamers rather than throwing space nerds like me a bone. :sad:
Isn't that exactly what it's for, though? The TTG players?

Yeah I edited it to make that clear because I misread the headline when I posted it. I read the article a couple of weeks ago and have had the link saved to my browser. I posted it without re-reading it. The ship illustrations are still ugly though imo.

EgonSpengler
really
Sommerswerd

in that order for the new thread.

I think maybe I'm going to take back my recommendation for Raised by Wolves. Around episode 7, it took a really weird left turn into some Alien/Prometheus type absurdities and by episode 10 left a whole lot of unanswered questions. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised considering Ridley Scott's involvement, but still... In any event, I found the little snippets of flashbacks to the religious war between the Mithraic and the Atheists the most interesting part of the story.
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Thought I'd give Schitt's Creek a try since Comedy Central is replaying all the episodes from the beginning. Normally, I don't care about award ceremonies, but figured if it had won 7? Emmys maybe there's something to it. After two episodes I'm not finding it particularly funny or engaging. If anyone else has seen the whole series, can they let me know whether it gets better later on?
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Also started watching Utopia on Prime. I guess the best I can say about it thus far is that it's topical concerning epidemics. Basically, a group of young fan'atic's believe a comic book "Dystopia" predicted all the major epidemics in history. The manuscript for a sequel, called "Utopia", has been discovered, which they believe will predict future pandemics. The first two episodes I've seen so far detail them trying to bid on and get it, while a mysterious duo goes around killing everyone who's seen it. Also, it throws in John Cusack as a scientist creating mystery meat that might be causing a new pandemic and Rainn Wilson as another scientist toiling in obscurity that may know something about it. I guess it's a remake of a British series, but so far it's just been very violent (which I don't care for), the writing mediocre, and the characters generally unlikeable.
Finally, we watched a really fun series on Apple TV+ - Tiny World, narrated by Paul Rudd (apropos). It's a nature series that looks at some of the tiny creatures in our world. Some really great camera work in this. Each episode is only 30 minutes, but it's just as enjoyable as any Planet Earth series.

Thought I'd give Schitt's Creek a try since Comedy Central is replaying all the episodes from the beginning. Normally, I don't care about award ceremonies, but figured if it had won 7? Emmys maybe there's something to it. After two episodes I'm not finding it particularly funny or engaging. If anyone else has seen the whole series, can they let me know whether it gets better later on?
Did you start with the last season? I started it from the beginning and loved it.

Also started watching Utopia on Prime. I guess the best I can say about it thus far is that it's topical concerning epidemics. Basically, a group of young fan'atic's believe a comic book "Dystopia" predicted all the major epidemics in history. The manuscript for a sequel, called "Utopia", has been discovered, which they believe will predict future pandemics. The first two episodes I've seen so far detail them trying to bid on and get it, while a mysterious duo goes around killing everyone who's seen it. Also, it throws in John Cusack as a scientist creating mystery meat that might be causing a new pandemic and Rainn Wilson as another scientist toiling in obscurity that may know something about it. I guess it's a remake of a British series, but so far it's just been very violent (which I don't care for), the writing mediocre, and the characters generally unlikeable.
Good to know. Is it also rapey? The combination of violence and rape in the very first episode of Westworld turned me off of it forever.

-------------------

The Challenger documentary series is only four episodes long. It was so short and skimmed over everything so quickly that I was actually surprised when it was over. It's not bad as far as being an introduction to what happened but there's nothing really compelling about it if you know the basics already. The way they skipped over all the ethical implications* and technology is annoying and it's impossible to do any sort of deep character study of the 7 astronauts in 4 episode either.

Shoot, they didn't even mention the Pepcon disaster - which is still one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history - which was a direct result of Challenger.

*The infighting directly before the launch - where NASA brow-beat their contractors into signing off - is brought up but not explored in depth. And I do not believe they brought up the fact that none other than Sally Ride had to sneak Richard Feynman data on cold o-rings which lead to his dramatic science experiment on live TV. The reason she had to clandestinely give him the data was because NASA was working that hard to cover their asses that she felt powerless to speak openly about what they knew even though she was a member of the review panel.

I'm fielding Challenger or Columbia questions if anyone has them.

Last edited:
Did you start with the last season? I started it from the beginning and loved it.
From the beginning, season 1 - episodes 1 & 2. It's not bad or anything, I just didn't find it particularly funny. Will probably stick it out through season 1 though.
Good to know. Is it also rapey? The combination of violence and rape in the very first episode of Westworld turned me off of it forever.
Oh, geez I hope it doesn't go that way. But, thus far no, nothing like that - just lots and lots of murders. In episode 2 there was a particularly gruesome
Spoiler :
torture scene concerning eyes, salt, bleach, and a spoon. I've had a few surgeries on my eyes in the past five years, so it was particularly disturbing. (There was even a disclaimer at the beginning of the episode.)

Those purple lines look fantastic against the Dark CFC (WIP) background.
I had the same reaction at first. There's no ‘hilarious!’ moment but the story kinda grew on me when I picked it up again a few months later… I still don't think it's a great loss if you don't watch it, but there's entire seasons I haven't watched, at least by number of episodes.

Moderator Action: Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom