Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the first 5 episodes of The 100. The short version is that earth had a nuclear apocalypse, survivors are on a space station which is failing. They send a 100 teenage prisoners to earth (there are no adult prisoners, since any crime committed by an adult is punishable by death) to see if it's habitable.
So far, so good. I like the setting, it is post-apocalypse, sci-fi, and exploration, and the episodes were nice.
It could have been better though, since until now it has essentially been somehow lord of the flies a bit, and now they just added teenage romance and relationship drama to the plot. As I said already for voyager: The authors have a vast and unexplored universe to them. And they start with that? Could that not have waited until they run out of ideas? I mean there are leftover humans and mutants on that planet, a destroyed civilization etc, and after 5 episodes we've only seen a minor glimpse of that.
But this is after a book series, so that's probably why.
I also just read the summary in wikipedia, seems the story will go nuts with later seasons.

What I also didn't like:
The use of red-shirts.
5 episodes, and they killed already off 1 of the main characters, and introduced 2 which got killed in a following episode, without adding really any others
I know, that every character must have a purpose (for some wiki stroll: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov's_gun , nothing to do with Star Trek), but it should be not as obvious as the Star Trek red shirt character getting introduced and killed 10 minutes later.
If I now look at (now something totally different) Sex Education, this series had a rather big array of side characters, who also played more than one role. It was pretty clear from the first episode that this latino gay guy would have a plot, but it got only really introduced in... what... episode 14? And until then he played a side role in some of the other episodes. Same for many of the other side characters. That's way better and less predictable writing.
Some for Lost in Space, although not that extensive, but you had recurring side characters (like the Japanese biologists, the camp leader, etc), which served more than one purpose (and none of them was getting killed)

I keep wandering across a show in which four groups of inventors present their ideas to bzillionaire Mark Porter, seeking funding. He turns down 3/4 of them, which is a little sad, because I love about 90% of the inventions. :love:

I am continuing to watch "Invent it Rich." :yup: Our second grader has me watching Paw Patrol.There's so few things worth watching here. :(

Last edited:
Maybe you could watch The Guild? I've been intending to pick up the last couple of seasons which I never got round to watching for a couple of years now.

I am actually happy when stuff is over. There must be an end, at some point, so don't drag it on for too long.

So, I watched...
The society. Some high school kids go on a trip, and after they come back everyone in their town has vanished. And the town is actually also not where it is supposed to be, since the surrounding does not exist anymore, no neighbouring villages, no TV signal, internet, outgoing cell phone signal, etc. There is also an unexpected solar eclipse.
Interesting premise again, I liked that. I watched 3 episodes, and it's again all about teenage relationships. Some is about organizing the new surrounding. Overall a bit meh. Wiki indicates that this doesn't get more interesting.

The I-land. Limited series with 7 episodes. 10 people wake up on a tropical island, without memories. There are various strange things going on, like that they are all dressed the same, and woke up in a specific distance to each other. So a bit like Lost, for the beginning, but the mystery fades relatively quick. The story also ends with some unsatisfying logic holes, so...mmhh... 6/10, would not necessarily watch again (mainly because of the end, but episodes were done well).
Spoiler :

So... this is a simulation where everyone involved was sentenced to death, right?
Chase is released, because her husband admitted that he killed her mother.
a) why has he been sentenced to death then?
b) why does Chase have these dreams?
c) and she really just walks out, shrugging this off, not caring for her husband? She had reason to hate her mother, and the death was an accident.

Also why is Cooper not disfigured in the simulation, and how do Cooper and KC not end up killing each other?

The story also doesn't even attend to tell anything about nurture vs nature, that's unsatisfying in a different way.

Never have I ever. Is about an Indian high school girl, who wants to be cool and experience high school as it is supposed to be (so sex, drugs n rock'n roll, kinda). I think the trailer was funnier than the first 2 episodes, but not bad. I think I'll watch the next 2, to see if I finish the only season (10 episodes).

I think I watch too much stuff involving teenagers :think:.

The Great on hulu, an *occasionally true story. I loved it, wife not so much. warning, there are portrayals of animal cruelty and distasteful sex scenes and references

Huzzah!! (shatters glass)

Hmm, the wife an I are considering watching that. Should we reconsider?

Hmm, the wife an I are considering watching that. Should we reconsider?
there is plenty of callous psychopathy....Huzzah!!.... I don't think it's purposeless but my wife thought it was excessive

Thx.
I studied Russian History in college and loved the * in the promo for it.

I watched all of Never Have I Ever at my brother's suggestion and it was very good.

Started watching Broadchurch. Needed something frothy to lighten the mood, what with everything.

I watched all of Never Have I Ever at my brother's suggestion and it was very good.

I watched episode 3+4 yesterday, and I'm not motivated to finish it.
It's nice, but... that's it. Doesn't capture me.

We've been watching the sitcom Kath and Kim from Oz and it's pretty fun. It's very silly which is a panacea in a pandemic.

We also started The Letdown which is another Ozzie production about parenthood. It's more serious than Kath and Kim and is a lot like Working Moms. We've been watching a lot of parenthood shows for some reason.

I've tried yesterday to watch Dark, since it was recommended by multiple friends and has been praised by online platforms.
Saw the first 2 episodes, and I didn't like it, but I think mystery is maybe in general not for me.
I read up the story quickly on Wikipedia (since I wanted to know if one of my guesses was right), and it made my head hurt.
I am also not very fond of the fact that in these mystery movies always something outraging/physically impossible/just really strange happens, but nobody ever bothers to tell the world about it (the press, the internet, the police/military, whoever). I know that it's ruin the mystery itself, but it just doesn't make any sense.

My ex also recommended You.
Saw the first episode, and the protagonist is an obsessive stalker and judgemental c... prick. They try to not make him 100% unlikable, and I acknowledge the attempt, but doesn't work for me. I'll ask my ex again what she liked about it, but I'll not continue with this.

I continued watching The Good Place and Inside Bill's Brain, both are good.

I've tried yesterday to watch Dark, since it was recommended by multiple friends and has been praised by online platforms.
Saw the first 2 episodes, and I didn't like it, but I think mystery is maybe in general not for me.
I read up the story quickly on Wikipedia (since I wanted to know if one of my guesses was right), and it made my head hurt.
I am also not very fond of the fact that in these mystery movies always something outraging/physically impossible/just really strange happens, but nobody ever bothers to tell the world about it (the press, the internet, the police/military, whoever). I know that it's ruin the mystery itself, but it just doesn't make any sense.
I'm 7-8 episodes in and things are finally becoming clear, but....
Given the time jumps and the very complicated family relationships that get even more complicated as the show goes along, I need a schematic with pictures of the people and connecting lines for 1953, 1986, and 2019. I frequently get totally confused about who is doing what when.

Otherwise it enough to keep me going. I'd like to find a character that I can really like and latch on to their story.; so far none has appeared yet.

Netflix has apparently made a Snowpiercer TV series. This is the first I've heard of it. I'm assuming it released today.

Anyone given it a try yet?

The whole concept for that is so stupid that I refuse to watch it.
The movie was awful.

I'm currently watching Gintama, an animated series based on Feudal Japan, but with Aliens roaming the streets. It's pretty good, but not really what I'm looking for. Bit too self aware for my tastes.

Netflix has apparently made a Snowpiercer TV series. This is the first I've heard of it. I'm assuming it released today.

Anyone given it a try yet?

I don't see how it'd work well as a series. It's good-as-is. But that will of course never stop people from making more money from things we've already seen: Isn't a new TV series based on LOTR being shot right now? lmao

The whole concept for that is so stupid that I refuse to watch it.
The movie was awful.

Snowpiercer was awesome and one of the better recent movies! :D Shame you didn't like it, you're missing out. I watched it with a pretty big group of people but no one went away thinking it was awful, what bothered you?

I'm currently watching Gintama, an animated series based on Feudal Japan, but with Aliens roaming the streets. It's pretty good, but not really what I'm looking for. Bit too self aware for my tastes.

Same! I watch Gintama also! In the beginning I hope it's like the Meiji Restoration's Cowboy Bebop, however after a while it's really break the immersion as the character keep repeating something like t"his feel so anime", or what happened to us is so unbelievable as if we are "anime" character. And beside that I really cannot measure how good the main-character and his friend as a fighter, sometime they fought lots of attacker and win easily, while in other time they are saving their life from few attacker.

I think the anime series work as a "statement" or "message" that mixed with intense comedy and un-seriousness. Remind me of "One Punched Man". Now I really don't know what to watch, I'm thinking to give "Inuyasha" a try or go for "Full Metal Alchemist".

Last edited:
Been watching ST:TOS. A bit of a slog when you're used to current standards of tv shows, but it's something I feel I need to have done. The latest episode I finished was The Mark of Gideon. It's as if the crew got together on the set with no more than a rudimentary concept ("What if there was a world that was so crowded people couldn't move?") and they just decided to wing it. I think I'm actually starting understand a little why people still enjoy this series. There's a kind of a charm to it that today's (perhaps over-produced) shows don't have. A school play factor of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom