1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Mar 2, 2020.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I've never watched the movie, and I'll go with you that the premise is idiotic.
    Things should either be realistic, or nuts (set the train into Mordor, makes more sense). But this is on a level in between, which makes it rather unbelievable.
    If there's nothing left on Netflix, then I might have a look.

2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I'll take a look eventually but it will have to be when my wife is not around. I don't expect it to be any better than the movie.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Due to @tjs282's persistent pestering ( ;) ), I'm rewatching The IT Crowd. God, this show is hilarious. I'm already almost on the third series.

4. rah

rah Deity Supporter

My wife and I couldn't make it through the first episode. But then I worked in IT and found it quite offensive and she didn't think it was funny.

5. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Legends of Tomorrow is one of the nuttiest shows I've ever seen. :lol:

6. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Ah-ha! Have you tried Knowing me, knowing you with Alan Partridge?

7. Synsensa

it is not on the flix of net :(

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

It is on the tube of you, however.

9. Synsensa

alan partridge is on my tube? :scared:

10. Synsensa

ok just saw it

but... uh... i can't tell what you mean.

it seems the same as any other episode? no weird or questionable jokes.

i am confusion

11. The_J

I watched in the last 3 days the first season of The Rain.
    It's a post-apocalyptic series set in Denmark and Sweden.
    What happens in the first episode (so no real spoilers) is that there's an outbreak of a virus, which transmits via rain, and which basically kills the majority of all people.
    The protagonist is the daughter of a scientist, who is working at the company who apparently developed the virus. It also seems that her brother was sick when he was younger, but cured by something related to the virus. The dad brings his daughter and son to a secure bunker, promises to get them later, and then vanishes, because he needs to fix something related to the virus.
    The rest of the season goes then on about the struggle in the post-apocalypse. So far, so good. Story and setting work okay, although there are logic holes (will come in the spoiler) and some general annoyances from my side. Overall judgement: Not bad, but could be better. Will not continue.

Now my rants:
    Spoiler :

- the people die from the rain within <1 minute. No virus does that, or any other biological agent (chemical could). You can't spread as a virus, if you kill your host instantly. I was willed to go along with that though. But how the heck do then considerable amounts of virus get in the rain, if there are no humans to spread it? The last episode of S1 reveals that the people from Apollon are apparently James-Bond-like villains, who intentionally spread the virus to control the world. .... whaaat? This would have all made a lot more sense if it was an accident, and not the work of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers.
    - Beatrice gets killed, because he had too close contact with Rasmus (who is infectious; or with the dog), as well as the doctor, who was hurt by him. But Simone has lived with him for 6 years in the bunker, but didn't get anything? As well as the doctor, who stitched him up before? Also ow the heck does the virus get ONLY into the brain? And sure, now it has mutated, but what the heck does it really matter? Can still produce a vaccine from it. More biological nonsense is obviously that the dad takes a throat swap, pipettes this onto an agar plate, and puts that below the microscope. You don't put agar plates below microscopes, and you can't see viruses under normal microscopes. But okay, would have let that nonsense go as well, just too used to it.
    - The episode in which Beatrice gets killed shows that the rain is not infectious. But it has in between, since people were dying from the virus. Why? Does Apollon just randomly release the agent to control the world?
    - The episode with the cannibal cult didn't make any sense. They have plenty of food, no need to once in a while eat each other.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. Synsensa

Your logic-hole complaints are solved/explained in the second season. I thought the show was rather charming and easy to enjoy.

13. The_J

All of them?
    Well, maybe I'll try then. It's only 6 episodes anyways :think:.

14. Synsensa

It at least explains the stuff about the boy, and some of the stuff about the "virus." Not sure it'll give you a satisfying answer, though, given your background. Treat it like you would the science from The 100.

15. The_J

I stopped that even before the end of the first season ^^, and I don't remember much science in there, just overly proficient teenagers.
    But okay, I'll give it a try, you've convinced me.

16. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Have you seen Inhumans yet? :lol:

17. Sommerswerd

I really liked The 100! :D... Well at least I did for the first few seasons, but things started to go off the rails and get too shark-jumpy. It was gradual though... at first it was just an annoying or immersion breaking thing here or there, but it got more and more frequent until one day I was like "WTF am I watching??":confused: I don't remember what season it was when I gave up. Is it over or are they still doing new episodes.
    Dark Matter is like this, just alot quicker. The first episode is almost unwatchable, but absolutely essential to understanding the story. OMG it really sucks, the whole time you are like "Why am I watching this? WTF is going on? This is so stupid! It doesn't make any sense and I just don't care"...

And then... BOOM! Suddenly everything makes sense, the point of whole story is revealed and you instantly deeply care about all the characters and you are hooked. It was amazing... you just have to force yourself to watch the first episode no matter how badly you want to gouge your eyes out and set yourself on fire.

Synsensa likes this.
  18. Synsensa

I believe they're on their last season. I gave up eventually too, but I will probably do a dedicated rewatch once it's done.

This is another show I need to rewatch. It never did end up getting saved, did it? :(

19. Sommerswerd

I was watching The 100 with my wife but I think she gave up soon after I did, if she wants to go back and finish it once its completed I might watch it with her. She's kinda into the DC shows nowadays.

As for Dark Matter, if you are asking whether it was cancelled, IIRC they did kind of abruptly cancel the show right in the middle, after a couple seasons, which pissed me off because I feel like that frequently happens with shows that I like :mad:

Although, as I reflect on this, particularly in light of us discussing The 100... I wonder if it might be better to have a great show cancelled before it goes off the rails, even if that means it is left unfinished... rather than to let a show go on and on and on, way past where there is any real meaningful story left... to the point that you either lose interest and give up, thus never really knowing how it "turned out"... or you slog through to the unwatchable mess of an ending... feeling like the show was "ruined". :think:

Which do you prefer?

Synsensa likes this.
  20. Synsensa

Definitely when it ends sooner rather than later. I can't stand it when a show loses itself and just refuses to die (See: Vampire Diaries, The Walking Dead). You get the sunk cost effect and you always think to yourself, "Surely it'll get better if I persevere."

But then it never does get better.

Sommerswerd likes this.