1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Spoilers dawg

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

My bad

In my mind the drama I wrote about was so milquetoast that I didn't even see it as a spoiler.

Synsensa likes this.
  3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Has anyone seen Atypical? What do you think? I hate it but I don't want to trigger anyone so I won't go to into other than to say the main character is completely unsympathetic in any way.

Kim's Convenience on the other hand is the feelgood comedy I really need in my life. I love it.

Synsensa likes this.
  4. Synsensa

I have Atypical on my list but haven't mustered up the motivation to try it yet. It's a Netflix comedy, right? Those are really shaky. The main characters often end up totally unlikable and that kills the rest of the show for me.

Also, yes, Kim's Convenience is fantastic. Canadian media at its finest.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I think Atypical is a Netflix drama and yes, the main characters are 100% unlikable. All of them, the entire lot, but most especially the autistic main character. I don't profess a deep understanding of the autism spectrum so I don't want to offend people by offering up a deep dive analysis of his character but he's basically an irredeemable asshat that is indulged in his asshattery because of his condition. He's like Sheldon without being funny. Well, I know Sheldon (and that entire show) is often derided for not being funny but at least they try. If Atypical is considered a comedy then Netflix needs to reassess what a comedy is.

Synsensa likes this.
  6. Synsensa

Turns out I didn't need to rewatch the first season of Knightfall. I watched the season recap and it unlocked my memories about it, so I jumped right into the second season. Really good, and it even had Mark Hamill. 8.5/10.

Storyline from IMDB, for those unaware: "Knightfall chronicles the mysterious but true accounts of the Knights Templar, the elite warriors of the Crusades. It delves into the great secrets protected by the Templars and tells the story of faith, loyalty and brotherhood that help sustain these warriors on the battlefield, and the dark events that would forever sear the infamous date of Friday the 13th into the world's psyche."

Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I'm watching Bordertown S 1. It's a Finnish murder mystery mystery. Subtitled. I'm enjoying it despite it being filmed in a cold snowy place. The town is close to the Russian border and espionage is part of the game. Lots of bodies, dead and otherwise. It is on Netflix.

8. Synsensa

one episode in and i really despise the mother

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Narrator:
    She gets worse

10. Synsensa

bruh

how does she have the AUDACITY

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Took me a while to get into the headspace for it (mainly just been watching repeats of boring but comfortable comedy shows, or whatever. Life's a bit of a slog sometimes, you know?), but finally into Season 2 of Altered Carbon, on the back of finishing Sabrina (the Chilling Adventures of) Part 3.

I liked Season 1 a lot, but man Season 2 is all kinds of different already. Loving it. Three episodes in so far.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  12. haroon

haroon Deity

Watching Dorohedoro, the story and the theme can be kind a disturbing, post apocalyptic is not really my favorite theme especially one that corporate extreme gore, however I like the character, the protagonist and the antagonist non of them are intrinsically good or evil, and I like how everybody have a reason on being who they are, you learn to like the character from both side of the camp.

Gorbles likes this.
  13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yeah it's almost like a completely different show. It's not bad but it's definitely different.

Gorbles likes this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

@hobbsyoyo - yeah! Even the callbacks and twists I've seen so far have been approached in a completely different tone (more exploitation and regret, and exploitation of that regret), and in particular Kovacs' voice-over comes across differently. It's not just Mackie being cast in the role, it's tonally different.

@haroon - Dorohedoro is fantastic, and I need to pick the manga back up (bit of a non-thread thing, but I've seen very good reports of the animated adaptation).

haroon likes this.
  15. haroon

haroon Deity

It hooked me from the very beginning, and just keep me in with its humor and character development, it's amazing noting that I really steer away from a "Mad Max" like theme-it's just to bleak for me, however this show even nailed someone who is out from their target market like me.

Gorbles likes this.
  16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Just finished season 3 of Killing Eve. While season 3 was probably not the best season, I was quite satisfied with the final episode.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. Synsensa

I am nearly on the third season now (short episodes and short seasons) and I have to say, I disagree with you.

The mother, yes, is irredeemable. I despise her. But the other main characters are pretty good!

I think the issue you're facing with Sam is

Spoiler :
    mismanagement of his condition. You can blame his mom for this, and partly his dad. Neither of them have tried to teach him adaptation so he's never been in a position of being able to truly empathize or communicate. Isolated/non-socialized treatment really is Just Like That. Symptom management is important but it has a natural limit if you don't also teach the person how to function and adapt to their limitations.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  18. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Space Patrol.
    Gave up after 15 minutes - it's awful despite the good cast.

19. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I just watched the first 2 episodes of this (why? I'm anyways rotting my brain with Netflix, might as well participate in the discussion), and I think I'm agreeing with you.
    The mom doesn't seem to be nice, but the rest of the characters seem to be "normal"/as expected to me.
    But that's not based on much, and I agree with hobbs, that this doesn't exactly qualify as comedy.

Synsensa likes this.
  20. Synsensa

It is probably more drama than comedy. I can usually get a laugh once or twice out of every episode but I wouldn't say it's specifically funny. Kind of like a more focused Parenthood.