1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I didn't even bother finishing season 6 of Lost. Garbage.

I'm watching an anime now. Inuyashiki Last Hero. Not bad so far.

haroon, hobbsyoyo and EgonSpengler like this.
  2. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Sounds like it's just as well I bailed in season 2. :lol:

3. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Mr Iglesias S2 was only 6 measly frick'n episodes :mad:

I want my money ba- oh, wait...

Ah well, iZombie S5 awaits (and Umbrella Academy S2, but not until we get back from our vacation).

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

The Plot Against America airs on Sky Atlantic here tomorrow so I can see if TV has ruined another of my favourite books.

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I watched "Unbelievable" on Netflix. It's an adaption of true events surrounding a serial rapist. Excellent.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  6. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

Ore Monogatari (My Love Story) - great romantic comedy that focuses on the relationship of the unusual couple, not so much the "Will they? Won't they?"

7. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

I haven't read the book so can't say on that front, but overall the show was passably entertaining. At least it was interesting enough to finish watching the whole season. The plot, however, moved along ever so slowly.
    ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    Out of curiosity, does anyone else watch any of Gordon Ramsay's shows? The second season of Uncharted is finishing up next week and I just love seeing him travel to unique locales and discover different foods.

Also, as a fluke I turned on the TV while putting away groceries today and it happened to be on the E! channel with a show called Botched playing. I never had any interest in watching a show about bad plastic surgery, but wow was it oddly interesting. Also, I must have experienced some kind of TV voodoo as I ended up watching three episodes back-to-back! :crazyeye:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    AmazonQueen and yung.carl.jung like this.
  8. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I've been watching the Netflix show Dark. It's taken me 2 1/2 seasons to decide I don't like it. The first season was sort of compelling because of the whole mystery aspect to it but after the most interesting questions were answered it devolved into a soap opera with some sci-fi mumbo jumbo thrown in. Of course I'm going to watch the rest of the 3rd season because of the sunken cost fallacy, but also to see if it somehow sorts out this convoluted mess. I'm not holding my breath though.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Colon

Colon King

Watched all of the Avatar Last Airbender: very emotionally rewarding. So many engaging and interesting characters and a lot of great humor. And what's maybe the most impressive is that manages to bring up serious real life themes without it getting preachy or sentimental. The writing is sometimes a bit shaky, but you can get past that.

About Katara:
    Spoiler :
    Her bending always seems the most frighteningly powerful to me. Not sure whether it's because she had the fewest abilities of all characters when they first appeared, because I can't get really get past my view of her as a gentle, sweet girl, or because she does stuff that's so out of left field, like stopping the rain.

Then watched Legend of Korra S1. Ugh. The first 2 episodes were good enough, funny and absolutely gorgeous. But the further I watched, the less I liked it. I even skipped through parts of the final episode. It's all very stale, with little of the emotional resonance Avatar had. The biggest problem may be that story is moving far too quickly, which leaves no time to really get to know the characters and leads to highly contrived developments. And there are major cop-outs:

Spoiler :
    It's very disappointing that they did nothing with the premise of resentment with bender elitism other than it being a device of the baddies. Not a single moment of self-reflection. You'd think there'd some cause given that so many seem to support equalism.

But the one that just got me angry that they gave whatshernameagain's bender abilities back at the flip of switch, with zero effort or trade-offs. Nauseatingly convenient and plain emotional cheating.

Hence, not watching the other seasons.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Just watch

11. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant The Voice in Your Head Moderator

I have discovered The Flintstones.

I know, I know... It's a cartoon, but it certainly wasn't made for kids. I'm loving it!

BenitoChavez likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

The theme tune's insanely catchy.

13. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

What do you mean, discovered? Are you talking about the classic 60s series?

14. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant The Voice in Your Head Moderator

Yes. I was never allowed to watch the telly when I was a kid. I had to wait until I was an adult to watch some of the great cartoons. Happily, I have discovered another that I really enjoy.

Birdjaguar and The_J like this.
  15. Kyriakos

You could say that thing is prehistoric.

The_J likes this.
  16. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Booo!!

17. Kyriakos

Come on, it may have not met the Arakhor standard, but it was still pretty lame!

Arakhor likes this.
  18. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I watched half of the Home Game series on Netflix - it's quite excellent and very interesting. It starts off diving into Florence's Calcio Storico, which is...basically a ball-game combined with a massive brawl (even more so than Rugby!). But things really go bananas once you get to the Kok Boru episode, which answers the question "what games would some bored mounted steppe warriors play in their free time?" The answer involves a polo-like game where a dead goat is the "ball".

The_J likes this.
  19. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I've finished Home Game also recently, liked it, was interesting and educational, although I think I'd have made the selection of sports different.
    Calcio Storico, Kok Boru and the Highland Games were interesting, the others somewhat less (voodoo wrestling, really?).
    I'd watch another season, if they made one.

I've also been watching Timeless, and am nearly through the first season, originally from NBC.
    The premise is that there's a company, which invented a time travel machine. In the first episode one of the 2 time machines gets stolen, by a guy who believes that the US is ruled by an Illuminati-like organization, which is ultimately responsible for his wife's death. He therefore wants to travel back in time to destroy this organization. A historian, a soldier and one of the time machine pilots get recruited to stop him.
    Basically every episode brings the 3 protagonists to a different important time in history, where the thief tries to sabotage an important event, and they try to minimize the impact.
    I find it entertaining, and also educational, but you need to cross-check things, since the authors took some liberties in which people meet.
    I'll definitely watch also the second season, looking forward to this.

EgonSpengler and thecrazyscot like this.
  20. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I liked this show. It was originally canceled after its first season, but was brought back just as suddenly as it was canceled. Then it was canceled again after episode 26, which was the original Season 2 finale. Episodes 27 & 28 were produced as a kind of "tv movie" to wrap up the show, 8 months after season 2 originally finished. So when you finish episode 26, pause long enough to note that the show could've ended there (you don't have to wait 8 months, unless you feel like it).

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.