Which television shows are you watching? Series 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the pilot ep of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. It was kind of shocking how young and thin Vincent D'Onofrio looked.

With so little piquing my interest lately, I decided to take up Hulu on its offer of the HBO Max add-on at a reduced price.

Added to my queue:
Avenue 5
Band of Brothers
Chernobyl
Euphoria
His Dark Materials
Lovecraft Country
Perry Mason
The Plot Against America
Sharp Objects

I also remembered this morning that Doom Patrol is being moved to HBO Max, so I'll have to add that too. I've seen Band of Brothers before. All the rest are new to me.

I watched the first episode of Chernobyl last night. Jesus, talk about tense. I spent the entire episode going, "You're dead. You're dead. You're dead. You, you, and you; dead. For gods' sake, why aren't you all getting into your cars and driving as fast as you possibly can? Forget it, everyone in this whole scene is dead now. You there, you might make it. Oh. Nevermind." I think maybe 1 or 2 of the series' main characters even appears onscreen in this first ep. Obviously, it's only one episode, but I think this already might be one of the best horror tv series I've seen.

Is the series worth watching? (I mean the seasons with D'Onofrio, I wouldn't go near the rest).
It's an adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes myth, wrapped in a New York Law & Order burrito. It's fine.

Aaaaaargghhhh almost a week's gone by without television and still locked in with my sparents because of this ridiculous shutdown. I feel like Homer Simpson in The Shinning.

Finally finished all of TOS. Not worth it. Though perhaps it had its moments, like when Spock was walking around without a brain.

Ep 101 of Lovecraft Country
Ep 206 of The Boys

Ep 102 of Chernobyl:

I had to pause at about 7 min. The scene of the nurses dumping the firefighters' turnout gear in the cement room in the basement rang a bell in the back of my mind. I couldn't find the exact image I had in my head, but I found plenty of others. This is a photograph of the basement of Pripyat Hospital 126, taken in 2017. I'd guess it hasn't been touched and everything is still laying where the staff threw it. The article says the clothing was emitting 4 Roentgen per Hour when the photo was taken. By comparison, an MIT article I found says that average radiation exposure at sea level from natural sources is about 300 millirems per year. So if I did my math right, if you stood in this room today, you'd be getting about 116,000x normal exposure, just from the clothing the firefighters were wearing 30 years ago.

I'm all the way to episode 10 in Away on NETFLIX. Its a "realistic" space show, think Interstellar or Gravity or The Martian.

Its a very good show if you like space stuff. I guess it would qualify as "hard" sci-fi. I also think it's better than Mars which I have also been watching, which I'm finding enjoyable, but a little too dry in places. Away mostly keeps me up... Mars more often puts me to sleep.
It was decidedly OK. I hope the second season gets better.

I started the new Netflix documentary on Challenger and it's also pretty meh. You'd think it'd be right up my alley but I'm all about the technology and less about the people while this show is mostly about the people so...yeah. I had really hope this would be in the style of Chernobyl but alas its just a standard documentary.

Halfway through the 75 episodes of "Nothing Gold Can Stay" on Amazon Prime. Qing Dynasty drama based on the real-life story of Widow An Wu (安吴寡妇) who built a business empire in the late 19th c. It is well acted, well paced and the subtitles are excellent. The story is engaging and the characters fun to watch.

One week of no TV already. Tak go crazy.

It was decidedly OK. I hope the second season gets better.

I started the new Netflix documentary on Challenger and it's also pretty meh. You'd think it'd be right up my alley but I'm all about the technology and less about the people while this show is mostly about the people so...yeah. I had really hope this would be in the style of Chernobyl but alas its just a standard documentary.
I passed on it precisely for that reason... NETFLIX keys it up for you upon completion of either Mars or Away, but I could tell from the previews that it was meant to be focused on the human tragedy rather than the actual impact on the space program. I got enough of that in grade school when it happened. I don't need to revisit.

Away gave me a nice balance of the two. Mars a little less, and a little heavy on the mockumentary... but still pretty good. Overall I liked Away better than Mars but I enjoyed both.

I've watched up until season 4 of Lucifer. But I've actually started to skip parts of the episodes, skipping everything I can about the murder case. :)

Liked season 2. About half of season 3.

I started the new Netflix documentary on Challenger and it's also pretty meh. You'd think it'd be right up my alley but I'm all about the technology and less about the people while this show is mostly about the people so

...mmhh.... I also have it on my list, but now I'm not sure anymore :lol:.

I finished the first season of Mars, and mmhh... I don't have the problem with the Mockumentary, but I'd have preferred if the story on the planet was a bit more continuous, and not just skipping ahead a few years. That makes the story even less immersive than it already is. Will wait a bit with season 2.

I started watching Marco Polo, and I have my problems with it too. Story-wise is fine. The problem is that it's not accurate. I watched 3 episodes, and I had to look up a few things after the second episode, and it turns out it was historical horse crap. In that episode the story is that Kublai's brother Ariq was supposed to send troops to help him fight somewhere, but didn't, and later made promises, which he obviously didn't intend to hold, because he wanted to be Khan himself. Therefore Kublai took his troops to Karakorum, challenged Ariq, and killed him on the field in a 1-on-1 fight, without any military engagement.
Wiki says it's total BS. Apparently in RL, Ariq took the title of great Khan after his older brother Möngke Khan died, while Kublai was campaigning in the west. Kublai got back, and there was a 4 years civil war between the factions, which Ariq lost, got imprisoned for a few year and died of unknown reasons.
So this isn't even close to creative freedom, that's totally made up.
And I don't like this. If I watch a show with historic background, then I'll take for granted that the bigger story is accurate, and that I can learn something from it. But here, I'd need to check each time if the stuff is actually true, and then hope that I don't remember the wrong thing. Not sure if I'll continue with this, because this annoys the heck out of me.

I am watching L&O criminal intent. It is pretty meh :/
Main problem is how formulaic it is, every episode has the same progression, every solution occurs due to the same trigger (D'Onofrio pushes the bottoms of the perpetrator and/or their associates, leading to a break in the most exposed link).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom