1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Tree should I replace with a new Culture Tree?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by crawf0rd, Nov 26, 2012.

?

Which branch should be replaced with aesthetics?

1. Patronage

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Commerce

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Rationalism

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. crawf0rd

crawf0rd The One and Only

I am currently making a mod that divides Piety into two branches: Piety, the faith branch, and Aesthetics (name subject to change), the culture branch. What I don't know is which branch to replace. I was thinking Patronage, but maybe Rationalism. Commerce is a wild card idea.

2. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

I picked Rationalism, which before yesterday I would've thought an odd choice, because of what I read on one of the 'rate the social policies' threads in the general discussion forum. The gist of it was that the Rationalism tree is chosen nearly every time because it is so generally useful and obviously powerful; no other policy tree has as great a likelihood of being picked in any given game. To me, that sounds like Rationalism needs some trimming down.
    I think you should keep Patronage because it is unique among the social policy trees; no other tree really directly enhances your city-state game.
    Commerce competes with Rationalism for the axe, but since G&K I think the tree is good on its own and has a good reason to be. It seems a more flavorful tree than Rationalism.
    Of course, which tree you replace depends entirely on what you want to do with the mod.

3. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

Patronage, since it is the one most like the one you want to implement (and as such is a better candidate for being substituted).

4. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I'd say Rationalism, of the three - Rationalism is an odd one for a policy choice - tech is always the best option in Civilization as a game genre, unless the gains are extremely small. Tuning it to be 'fair' is tuning it to be so weak that it has almost no impact on the game, though the little things like +gold on science buildings are a clever trick to bias an empire towards science with rewards other than more science.

Patronage is an almost ideal policy tree, imo - it gives you stuff you want as a reward for a particular playstyle, while biasing you towards even more of that playstyle later. Civs that focus on early City-State acquisition will choose Patronage, and civs that choose Patronage will focus later on City-State acquisition; meanwhile, CSes are a useful tool but not 'the point' in the way that technology is.

Commerce is another candidate for splitting, imo. It's awesome to have a Naval policy branch. It's awesome to have a Gold policy branch (Gold, like CSes, is important but not all-consuming in Civ 5). It's unfortunate that they're forced together, but we can deal.

5. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Personally I would say think of a 12th policy branch and add in a scroll bar.

6. crawf0rd

I am leaning Rationalism now. I was scared people would hate such a proposition: getting rid of their beloved rationalism, but no! That is good news. Rationalism is being taken under heavy consideration.

7. Irkalla

Irkalla ENTP POWWWEEEEEER

I know I'm going to sound like a terrible player, but I almost never go rationalism. I'm that damn good at population growth I guess. Equal to AI on Emperor. The only time I go rationalism is if I have a jungle start, and I load my jungles up with trading posts, giving me this double whammy with universities.

8. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

If you're going the simpler route of replacing a tree with your own culture-oriented one, personally, I would go with removing Patronage. :)) I'm also a little biased towards it because I don't go that route very often or like devoting an entire policy tree to city-states -- though I still do when it's needed because of its usefulness in the game under certain victory conditions! I'm also personally not fond of policies that apply negative effects to other players.)

With some tweaking and maybe reducing their power (perhaps even some name changing), I think you can just incorporate some/all of the effects within the Patronage tree into the other trees and supplement their existing abilities. Some obvious ones may be: Scholasticism > Rationalism, Philanthropy > Commerce, Educated Elite > Freedom.

I personally wouldn't be crazy over the idea of losing Rationalism. And I love Commerce!

9. Irkalla

I usually go Patronage because I normally focus on Science.

10. crawf0rd

What made me like Patronage was that the background art could easily be used for a culture tree. The icons don't hurt either. Thanks for you opinions!

11. Dryhad

Dryhad Prince

You've never had the displeasure of trying to mod the policies, have you? :)

If it has to be one of those, I guess Patronage if only for flavour similarities.

12. Irkalla

Fun fact: It's Pope Innocent X. I always just assumed it was one of the de Medici's.