1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

which uu are over powered

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kristopherb, Jul 22, 2006.

?

what is the most over powered uu

1. navy seal

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. camal acher

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. jaguar

7 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. cho ku no

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. war charoit

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  6. redcoat

20 vote(s)
    9.0%
  7. musketeer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. panzers

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. phalanx

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  10. quecha

28 vote(s)
    12.6%
  11. fast worker

19 vote(s)
    8.5%
  12. samurai

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. skirimisher

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  14. kelisk

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  15. immortal

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  16. Praetorian

98 vote(s)
    43.9%
  17. Cossack

19 vote(s)
    8.5%
  18. Conquistador

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

which uu are over powered

2. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I said the Praetorian. Redcoats and Cossacks are up there too, but tempered by the fact that they become available so much later in the game, and it's not easy to bee-line your research towards getting them early.

I would argue that Praets have other balancing factors within the game. To get the most out of them, you must bee-line to the relatively-expensive-at-the-time Iron Working tech. This can often preclude going after other techs for more balance in early-game research. This may also force you to forgo beneficial early-game wonders like Stonehenge, especially at the higher levels. You also have to have Iron, of course, and that may require you to build an early city in a less-than-ideal location. Praets are also one of the most expensive early units (45 hammers, compared to 40 for Swords, 35 for Axes, and 25 for Chariots/War Chariots). It may not seem like much, but in the early game, hammers are hard to come by.

Even with these additional costs, though, Praetorians are very powerful. But that also reflects the Roman Empire's domination of the world in its day.

3. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

I second Praetorians. Although the cost of getting them early can be very high, as Sisutil detailed, they just kick that much ass. They also come early and remain effective for a fairly long time. Cossacks and Redcoats are up there too, as there aren't any very effective counters to these units in the era that they appear in.

4. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

The Praetorians are the only strong reason to play Rome altogether, and are certainly the most overpowered unit. They are just a shade weaker than Macemen which come much, much later in the game. Coming close on their heels, RedCoats are almost as much of an advantage, but come so much later they might have less impact. Cossacks are up there too...

5. Spartan117

Spartan117 Immortal

i havent played vanilla civ in a long time, but strength doesnt mean everything

i am not entirely sure but dont macemen get a 50% bonus against melee with str of 8

preatorian get str of 8 with no extra bonuses

if it is this way then macemen will always wipe out praetorians

i think too many people say praetorians are overpowered but axeman can be used to counter them

axemen have str of 5 and bonus of either 25% or 50% against melee which brings its str to 7.5 off the back...to a praetorian with 8(not including promotions)

6. kristopherb

ive just tried the romans and the preds didnt do any thing

7. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

Well, you've actually got to build a bunch of them and use them to attack the enemies. They're not a magical unit that just gifts you extra cities without you lifting a finger.

Oh hang on... thats exactly what they are!

8. ekrub-ntyh

ekrub-ntyh Chieftain

Praets are probably the most overpowered, but as previous posters said, that is what makes Rome worthwhile- taken at face value, sure, they're overpowered, but I don't think Rome is overly so.

9. Tekee

Tekee Bahama Mama

I vote for Redcoats becuase in an era of Gunpowder Redcoats have a 50% advantage.
    But I rarely ever fight wars in later eras, I like to Rome or Inca rush first met enemy then peace till the end.
    And yes Axemen are very good counter against Rome but What counters Redcoat?

10. kristopherb

redcoat couters cossack

i must have don it wrong ive mastered redcoats (upgrading) but im newb to preads

11. Bluetooth

Bluetooth King

I must say the Cossacks, who can survive an attack from a horde of Cossacks? Well, perhaps with an army of Redcoats then.

12. kristopherb

what can kill redcaots bluetooth

13. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

I wonder what is going to be overpowered in Warlords?

I would imagine the Numidian Cavalry or the Hwacha would be up there. (The former moreso.)

14. Bluetooth

Bluetooth King

I’ve had big trouble with the Cossacks on several occasions. Can’t remember fighting the Redcoats or played England. So I can’t answer your question kristopherb.:sad:

15. asabahi

asabahi Warlord

Cossacks are the strongest, because if you are not england and are at tech parity with Russia, you are in trouble. You have to beeline for artilery or assembly line to be able to survive. Best to get into an early war with the Russians than later in the game when the start to push out their UU.

16. CharmzOC

CharmzOC Chieftain

Not to get off topic of Praet owndizzleness, but, WHO THE HELL SAID THAT THE JAGUAR WARRIOR WAS OVERPOWERED. It is worse than the unit it replaces. WTF. anyway yeah praeats are overpowered because i played as rome once (large, terra) and managed to get a conquest victory before any1 discovered the "New World". Japan and Liz only had 1 city. It owned. its a good thing to get on rome side early and betray them later after the preat is obsolete

17. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

Praetorian beyond a shadow of a doubt.

18. kristopherb

ive posted the thread "jagaurs arent that bad"

19. Instant_Cereal

Instant_Cereal Warlord

Regarding the Redcoats vs. Cossacks argument: In my opinion redcoats are superior to cossacks any day. The one shining thing about redcoats that puts them far ahead cossacks is conscription.

20. Junglecutter

Junglecutter Honorable Delegate

Praetorians are only worthwhile to build if you also have barracks and theocracy, if they are not promoted they can still get destroyed by any normal archers and axemen