1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

which UU is the best?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jawz II, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

ok I know its prolly has been brought up before,ive never seen it,but im relativly new here

i dont wanna start a poll,but which UU is the best one?

i dont wanna hear about best UU for a certain era and so on,i mean the best all round,as in the one that makes it the easiest to beat the game?

some of my favourites are immortals,the korean hwatchata(or something),sippahi sounds cool,never tried them and panzer

what do you think?

on a side note,can someone tell me how to play the WW2 scenario?

i have PTW and have read about the ww2 thing here,havent figuered out how to start it,i dont wanna start a whole thread just to ask this,can someone help me?

im pretty new to civ3,but i remember the ww2 in civ2 was really cool..:goodjob:

2. DoubleT

DoubleT Prince

The Rider from China is the best UU, but the Conquest version of the Man-O-War is also great. My favoite UU is the Panzer.

3. jzsf

jzsf Prince

Simple... Mounted Warriors. Cause they are fast, strong and they're in the ancient!

4. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

F15! :p ;) Impi is semi useful as it prevents those horsemen from retreating. But my favorites are the legions, the immortals, and cossack.

5. AdHHH

AdHHH Chief Of The Infidels

When I first got the game i was big on Mounted Warrior, then Immortal. Currently Im like the Samurai and the Rider; the Sipahi looks good in prospect but i never really get settled playing as the Ottomans

6. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

I really like the Immortals (good for two full ages), Hoplites (cheap pikes without iron), and the Mounted Warrior (great quick strick attacker). Yes, all of my favs are from the ancient era, but their impact will be felt throughout the rest of the game.

Honourable Mentions:
    Samauri
    Siphi
    Bezerker
    Dromon

7. Ville

Ville Deity

Sipahi, Berserk or Dromon

8. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Immortal, Gallic, & Sam in that order.

9. lbhhh

lbhhh King

The berserk is impressive, it needs no resources, and has amphibious attack. Not to to mention its attack strength of 6 which comes in a time frame where your adversaries will likely have pikemen.

10. ArmPilot

ArmPilot Warlord

I like Sams, Berzerkers, and Cossacks. Out of the three Berzerkers are the best.

11. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Sipahi, Mounted Warriors and Berserks are the best. :D

12. Jawz II

Jawz II Oh Dear

well im playing ottomans right now,sippahi armies should be good all through the game,even after MA shows up,ill keep my sippahi armies,not that i have a single army yet,its pretty early in the game

i think berserker sound good too,forgot to mention them,checked the china riders too,not as good as sippahi

i think the good thing about sippahi is that they become available pretty early and r in the game for a long time

what else folks?

ps.help me with the ww2 someone,ye bastards:D

13. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

Berzerk, and Sipahi.

14. troytheface

troytheface Deity

The Conquistidor is my favorite UU because of three reasons.
    The first is that it is one nice graphic...it clanks and it has a dog by it's side barking. The second is that it is a dead end in so far as upgrades, u get it and that's all-Spain doesn't even start with a scout- why would this be favorable? Because i don't have to worry about upgrading- and my pillage unit is set for the duration of the game. The third reason is that it is a real niche' UU. In other words it is not a powerful offensive or defensive uu-with those two options one is locked into "build alot and attack or build alot as defenders" This , to me, is limiting in so far as one's game options.
    In short- the Conquistidor! (for the daring player)

15. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

The Musketeer! Why? Because a) It doesn't require iron or horses :D and b) neither do longbows or trebuchets, so im never screwed.

Another reason is that no one else will pick it. Did I mention it had defensive bombard.

I think the Rider is the most effective UU.

16. NankingDan

NankingDan Chieftain

Gallic Swordsman: I could write a thesis paper on the advantages
    of this UU
    Immortal: Do I really need to give a reason?
    Impi: Maybe not the best unit, but an extremely underrated one.
    one of the ultimate harrasment units, works well in combination
    with other units, kills horsemen, has high surviveability, easy to
    move up to the front.

By the way, what makes the rider so great? I've never played as China, and I can see the potential of such a fast knight, but why exactly is it such a top-tier UU?

17. JazzToucan

JazzToucan Warlord

The Siphai are dominating and, as someone else mention, they dominate for a long time.

18. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Gallic Swordsman and Rider.

The GS is simply so flexible in every way.

The Rider... that 3rd movement point is incredibly powerful. The ability to move 2 tiles through forest or hills, pop across mountain chains for 6 defense, etc. makes it dominating. The fact that you can move as fast on flat land as an enemy's slowmovers on their own road system should give a clue as to the great potential of this UU.

19. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

I would have to say the Sipahi, it's awesome until armor comes into the picture. After that I would have to say the Panzer, with those 3 movement points if you are able to attack and win an attack three times with one you are almost gauranteed a GL. Not only that but when you win with your first Panzer it's about the same time that you really would like a Golden Age :)

20. Longasc

Longasc Deity

I would say the Gallic Swordsman because it comes so early. The Chinese Rider is also a great unit, a 3-speed-Knight unit is always good. The Sipahi are infamous for their attack strength, but I always say: I often start wars even before Chivalry - and what's left then?

Immortals e.g., but only the Gallic Swordsman has a Speed of 2, capable of rapid advance and retreat if getting wounded.

For the same reason the Mounted Warrior might be good, but... I never play the Iroquis. :)