1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

which UU is the best?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jawz II, Apr 5, 2004.

1. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

I :love: Gallic Sword/Beserk/Sipahi/Mounted Warrior/
    Dromon/Rider/War Elephant for different
    reasons and for different situations, but any
    that fit your style of play can be made into a
    favorite.:splat:

2. ststeven11

ststeven11 Chieftain

The Berserk. It’s unmatched in attack strength until cavalry, and is useful until Infantry becomes available. It’s the only unit with amphibious attack until Marines become available. It requires no resources except the will to muster them. (Heck, if you have any iron and your defense is up to snuff, you can temporarily trade ALL of your iron to support more Berserks!) Considering the disparity in attack/defense between it and its contemporaries (musketmen & pikemen), the Berserk is unmatched. It replaces a marginal unit (Longbowmen). It is flexible and it opens up strategic options completely unavailable to any other civ. What about Marines, you ask? Marines don't enjoy the disparity between their own attack strength and the defensive strength of their contemporaries (Infantry), therefore, Marines require greater numbers and more support to be successful. The Berserk is a unique unit indeed, and well worth the added cost.

By the by, I haven't played the Vikings since I've gotten Conquests. Does anyone know if the Berserk retains the 0 bombard of the Longbowman? If so, wow!

3. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

Nope, beserks don't have that ability. (Just checked the editor).

4. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

War elephant: no resources needed , cool graphics and an extra hitpoint. What do you want more? Nude ladies riding on it ?
    Or the ability to trample workers ? ;)

5. Beanzy

Beanzy Prince

I know the Berserker is great, but one of its greater abilities is the amphibious assault, and if it has to do with naval units, it's useless to me (I almost never build ships except for exploring in the beginning and overseas conquests in the end).

Thus I have to go with the Immortal, 'cause it fits my play style best. Cheapish, awesome attacker, and can survive for a bit if attacked. Plus it's about the time when I get to Iron Working and find some Iron on the map that my economy is capable of pumping out dozens, so it's a nice time for a massive attack/GA for me. I used to like the NM, but that's probably just because I liked Carthage (at least before they made them seafaring, damn ships).

And then there are the usuals, Sipahis and Panzers (and most of the knight spin-offs, expect for the Keshik and Ansar).

6. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

It does? Then why would you ever upgrade it to a Rifleman?

7. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

The same reason you would upgrade a Legionary to a MDI. :rolleyes:

8. the mormegil

the mormegil Emperor

Maybe you wouldn't. But a lot of UU's are as good as the next in the upgrade line. Like Hoplite, there's no point in upgrading to Pikeman.

9. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

You can't upgrade a Hoplite to a Pikeman. The Greeks can't build Pikes at all. (Even though in the editor a Hoplite does upgrade to a Pike)

10. the mormegil

the mormegil Emperor

Yeah, the hoplite replaces 2 units, so it doesn't matter if the Musketeer does.

11. ststeven11

ststeven11 Chieftain

Shucks. Aw, just as well. Bombard would probably unbalance it.

12. the mormegil

the mormegil Emperor

Since they already have double the defense of the Longbowman then they don't really need it.

You have to remember that Beserks also cost nearly double. So you can have 2 Longbowmen for every Beserk.

13. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I just found out thet Musketmen don't upgrade. I believe that also means you can't upgrade pikemen to them.

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Emperor

Gallic Sword, Riders, Immortals, Legionary, Dromon (if archipelago). I tend to favor ancient era UUs because it fits my playing style (IE wipe out my immediate neighbors quickly, then build infrastructure). I tend not to favor defensive UUs (although I may change my mind after playing France in the current GOTM).

Someone made the very good point that triggering an early GA can be a disadvantage. But an early GA can also work out very nicely, if you plan it. The increase in production during the ancient age represents a higher percentage of the total units that have been fielded up to that point. Swamp 'em early and swamp them often, I say.

15. Sulimo Manwe

Sulimo Manwe Chieftain

Sipahi rules too fast,too strong for its era,it is unstoppable until the infantry comes
    also immortal is very useful(and charismatic)

16. binyo66

binyo66 King

I love legionary if I randomly got roman,
    I love Samurai if I randomly got Japan,
    I love Panzer if I randomly got German,
    I love War Elephant if I randomly got India
    and
    I love swordsmen if I randomly got America :D

Honestly, why only Xen picked up legioners? I like them more than others :D

17. ststeven11

ststeven11 Chieftain

True, however I find that the amphibious attack of the Berserk tips the scales and more than makes up for the cost difference. Berserks open up new tactical options. Longbowmen...not so much.

Besides, did you ever hear of a coastal villiage hiding the women and children due to a longboat full of...longbowmen? ;)

Hmmm...the Minnesota Longbowmen. I like it! :D

18. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

I :love: the immortals (useful for a long time), the sipahi (much higher attack and defense, good to last through the middle ages), the bersek (strong unit, vesrsatile) and the Dromon (very good unit. Much more advanced than the galley!)
    But, still, there are still some other good ones! :D

19. ongwin

ongwin Rebel w/o A Cause

My two personal favourites so far are the Numbidian Mercenary (Cartharagians) and the Jaguar warriors/Chasuqi Scout (Aztecs and Iroquious respectively). Firstly the

Numbidian mercenary can be built after bronze workings and is a 2.3.1 unit. Quite powerful. Although its a bit more expensive to build, but you can sure start an ancient era war and win.

For the Jaguar Warrior and Chasuqi Scout, they are both 1.1.2 units. Basically they are faster warriors, which make for a great "early game rush". Just plonk down your city immediately and start churning out these warriors. You don't need to worry about expanding since you're going to capture others' cities.

20. HalfBadger

HalfBadger The Great Whackyness

Why do people leave the Ansar Warriors out? Sure they have 1 less Def than Riders, but they also cost 10 less shields, which means you might be able to produce a few more of them.

Also I've found War Elephants to be fairly good, especially in C3C where they receive an extra health point.

I still think the Ansar warriors are the best knight spin offs.