1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which UU's abilities carry over when upgraded?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by zeock9, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Conquistadors do NOT retain their sight bonus promotion when upgraded! Bummer. I like having bonus sight on units, and the Conquistados is extremely good as a scout unit. Darn.

2. ifinnem

ifinnem Keep it interesting

3. black213

black213 Emperor

A funny thing is that in my Sweden game a militaristic city-state gave me a Minuteman. I then upgraded it to Carolean.

4. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Emperor

The English Longbow retains extra range when it is upgraded to a Gatling Gun. So if you have a mixture of Gatling Guns which you have upgraded or built you will have some with a range of 2 and some with a range of 1. Makes for some flowery language when you forget which is which.

5. qemist

qemist Prince

The rather feeble cataphract loses its "bonus" (actually a reduced penalty) against cities when upgraded to a knight.

6. Roboe

Roboe Chieftain

And much head scratching when facing an English AI civ, and your defensive line is taking damages from 2 tiles away.

7. angkor t. wat

angkor t. wat Chieftain

Samurai keep their great generals bonus (great generals 1, I think) and the free drill 1 + shock 1.
    Also If you upgrade from a swordsman who already has drill and/or shock 1 or 2 than you get the next one. so If it has drill 1+2 and shock 1 and you upgrade it will automatically receive drill 3 and shock 2. If you have the number three promotion I suppose you get nothing. Needless to say with Bushido and a barracks it's amazing ​

Janissary keeps both it's buffs, I recall, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. They make fantastic party favors from CSs.

Does anyone know about the Tercio? I have to decide if I should buy a bunch tonight.

8. ense7en

ense7en n7

Not sure how it was before, but i recently played a game with Mandekalu Cavalry and when i upgraded them to Cavalry they had an 18% penalty vs. cities vs. 33%.
    It seems they retain part of their bonus, or rather, lack of penalty, which becomes upgraded to a lesser penalty.
    See pic:
    Spoiler :

They were extremely useful, and even as Calvalry were my primary damage dealers throughout my conquests.