While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by BSmith1068, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer canonically ambiguous

2. Imago

Imago Mirror Wolf

Alas..

Though the IOT forum seems to have become what the NES forum was a long time ago, and the place to which many NESers have gone does not seem totally dead (here's looking at you, Thlayli), so maybe the end is a new beginning.

(Forums have spellcheck now. That's something, at least.)

3. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Hi Imago! Good to see you sir, how does it go? :D

4. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Oh Imago. The fact that someone still has an ITNES signature is...pretty amazing. And nostalgia-inducing.

5. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Parhae ever stronger!

Also, Thlayli, I have put together a bunch of new material for TNES and talked to Lucky about our patron-client state relationship. I am getting really excited, and can't wait to put together a bunch of material for the NES.

6. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Awesome. :) I've been impressed and humbled by the work people have done already (did you know Bair invented a language?) and I am determined not to let anyone down. Even if the updates do not come more frequently than once a month, I think that everyone here is mature enough to hold their attention span for that period of time.

My Ecumenical War post (which also doubles as a recent history of Europe) is in the final stages, but I'm still hashing out the rise of the Great Remonstrance which provides a sort of coda to the war. It'd be done already if I didn't have a bunch of lab reports due tomorrow. :p

7. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

I left the NES forum shortly before I left for basic training and everything I knew has ceased to exist.

8. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Sorry man. It's been bad. But #nes is still going strong, at least.

9. Nuka-sama

Nuka-sama See ya! It has been a fun decade!

Long time no see :)

I'd definitely check out Decamper's game, he has a really awesome world there, and EQ's latest nes is about to be released, not to mention the other games there too :)

10. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

That depends if you want to play a game or have a game played for you.

11. Anonymoose

Anonymoose KING OF MEESE

Snarkymoose more like it.

12. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Decamper's game has a lot of potential - although at this point I don't think you can build a nation from scratch. Daftpanzer's world is equally amazing and with more space to create your own stuff but there's a queue. I've yet to check out EQs thing.

13. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Just saying hi. My life went in a totally different direction than planned. Glad to hear #nes is still around.

14. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Hey Clerikozmos!

15. Decamper

Decamper ..!

Thanks for the PR :)

And yes, new nations can't be made from scratch anymore, but anyone joining can reform the NPCs into something they like. Check it out!

16. Imago

Imago Mirror Wolf

Currently? I'm wondering what was in Thlayli's third to last WWW post before he edited it. :borg:

Nice to see everyone who's still lurking and/or very much involved. It's a little sad some of the maps associated with the old NESes have disappeared (maybe the NES wiki could have been used to solve that problem?), and I personally am RL busier than ever, but it's hard to imagine that I'll ever completely stop checking this site.

And now, the most rebellious player of ITNES part IV is back to work. Israfanda(sp?) forever...as a bookmark.

EDIT: Hi nuke, Anonymoose, Kozmos, etc. (if you're one of the etc., you're extra special).

17. Azale

Azale Deity

hes right though unfortunately. I would really really like to play it :(

18. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Hi,
    does anyone have any contact information on Terrance88/Charles Li?

At some point he did pen&paper NESing and I'm curious as to how he made it work.

19. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I talked to him on Steam recently, that's where he's been easiest for me to contact lately. He's also made sporadic appearances on #nes.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Spoiler :

I've recently been messing around with the EU4 Custom nation creator. With it, I decided to create a playable Vinland. I'll share the setup if any of you would like to play it too.

Culture: Norwegian
    Religion: Norse or Catholic (at the time of Vinland's settlement, both religions were vying for control over the Norse world)
    Tech Group: Eastern (to reflect that Vinland has fallen somewhat behind western Europe over four centuries of isolation)
    Government: Despotic Monarchy

Traditions: Build Cost -5%. Frontier Construction. -10% Development Cost. Virgin Land.

Ideas:

Strithsmathur: Morale of Armies +5%. The Vinlanders have never lost the proud warrior tradition of their Norse forebears.

Legacy of Leif: Yearly Prestige +0.5. Let no European deny: centuries before Columbus, Vikings were the first white men to set foot in this westerly land.

Staekkun: Colonists +1. The Vinlanders are an unsettled and wanderlusting people, striving ever further to expand and explore.

Skraeling Co-option: Accepted Culture Threshold -5%. Vinland survived through its ability to incorporate the surrounding native peoples into itself.

Kaupmathur: Trade Efficiency +5%. Seagoing Vinlanders came to dominate the east coast trading routes of the native Americans, in the centuries after their arrival.

Sjomathur: Yearly Naval Tradition +0.5. Vinland maintains great pride in the naval prowess that carried them across the northern Atlantic centuries before.

Warrior Sagas: Yearly Army Tradition +0.5. The brave warrior holds a vaunted and celebrated position in Vinlander society.

Ambition: Years of Separatism -5. One People.

Territories: Hop (Beothuk), Placentia (Bjarney), Taqamkuk (Kjalarnes), Unamakik (Furthustrandir), Eskikewakik (Vinland), Sipeknekatik (Straumfjord), Epekwitk (Straumsey), Mikmaq (Einfoetingjaland).

This encompasses all of the territories mentioned in Erik the Red's Saga and the Saga of the Greenlanders, except for Hvitramannaland (probably somewhere in New Brunswick or further to the southeast), Markland (probably Labrador, which was never settled but occasionally used as a source of lumber) and Helluland (probably Baffin Island). I have done a lot of guesswork to fit the names to real-life places, but this seems like a reasonable place to start off.

Happy viking!