While We Wait: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Turner, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. North King

North King blech

The most isolated cradles of civilization would be, in ascending order, the Indus Valley, Mesoamerica, the Andes, and New Guinea. Any of them would make for a good test run, except perhaps New Guinea, because it's borderline tribal.

2. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Wouldn't the Indus Valley Sumerians have contact with the Persians, Tamils, and the people that lived near the beginning of the Ganges?

3. Israelite9191

Israelite9191 You should be reading

What the hell are 'Indus Valley Sumerians'?

4. North King

North King blech

First off, they weren't Sumerians. Sumerians lived in Mesopotamia. The Indus Valley civilization would have trade with Mesopotamia, but nothing more meaningful than that; it's a minor influence at best. As for the rest of them, saying they had contacts with the source of the Ganges and Dravidians is like saying Mesoamerica has contact with people in Panama, Texas, and northwestern Mexico. Yes, it's technically true, but it doesn't have any effect on them.

5. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

It was intended as humour, by providing the most isolate lands on earth- although looking back, it didn't really come out as such.

6. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

There are now seven sticky threads. Is one (or more) of them obsolete, or should they all remain?

7. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

Frankly I don't see the need to include the thread "a Storyists Manifesto" merely include it on the Noticeboard sticky

(and also, do people actually use the vacation thread? Do mods use it to notice who is gone etc?)

8. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I also think that it is inappropriate for a stickied topic, unless we're going to sticky all of the Simulationist stuff. Which is clearly overboard.
    I think the vacation thread is increasingly an opportunity to spam, actually, and I know I never looked through it, but instead trusted the relevant players to post in-thread as to absences. IMHO it should be destickied like the OT "Comings, Goings, and New Arrivals" threads.

9. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

I do not believe the Storyist Manifesto should be a sticky thread.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I don't have a problem with the storyist manifesto being stickied for a few weeks to see if it has "legs". I would also approve of removing the vacation thread from the list.

11. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I agree with Shadowbound. I don't think that it's important enough to warrant a sticky.

12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Who are you agreeing with Shadowbound or me?

13. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I've edited that post to indicate that I agree with Shadowbound.

14. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

We really don't want to start having a bunch of stickied threads. We have the NES Notice board, all the important threads can have links there.

15. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

That makes more sense than our current system.

I have to mention how I feel that this debate over styles of NESing detracts from the actual play. This isn't Model Government or some debate thing.

16. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Sorry, my bad. These different civs are a little confusing.

Sorry, my bad Israelite, Sumerians and Indus Valleyians are different, right?

I concur.

We need to keep a list of NESes that are open and what type of NES they are.

17. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

How? What possible causal connection can there be between "discussing how to play a NES" and "detracting from playing in a NES?" If I were to say, "Would you like it if NESes were MORE fun?" I don't think anyone would answer no. So people began to discuss HOW to make NESes more fun, which led to the confirmation that different people had different ideas on how to make NESes more fun. These different ideas were expressed as "styles of NESing." Now, since everyone agrees that there are different ideas on how to make NESes more fun, should we just give up on making NESes more fun, or should people who agree on what makes NESes more fun work together to make NESes that are more fun for them?

Somebody (not the person I quoted) once mentioned that they thought NESing styles were "unnecessarily divisive." Well of course they are divisive, everything that has one or more options is divisive, favorite color, favorite ice cream flavor, what is the best sport and the best player of that sport. But is it “unnecessary?” Is the NES forum “better” without discussions on how to make NESes more fun? Is the NES forum “better” when several people play in NESes they don’t particularly like, because they don’t get together and discuss how to make NESes more fun for them? Is the NES forum “better” when a small group of people decide for the rest what makes NESes more fun, or when there are multiple options of ways to have fun, and people can try them all out and determine which one they like the best? Is the NES forum “better” when there are never any changes, or random changes just for the sake of changing, or when NESes are made more “fun” by and for people who got together and decided what made NESes more fun?

So in conclusion, how can people taking steps to make an improvement in NESes in the level of enjoyment they derive from NESing “detract from actual play?”

And I officially and wholeheartedly agree with this, and as author of debated thread, PMed the appropriate mod saying as much.

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I think that it has the potential to be unproductive and unnecessarily divisive. It's worth writing about, but it's not worth stickying and dividing up the entire forum into rival camps.

19. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Sumer was centered in Mesopotamia, what is now Iraq. The Indus Valley is in modern Pakistan.
    Hmmmmmm.
    Question: what is the basis of this statement as compared with the Strategos' explanation?

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

It's not based on his explanation, I posted that before I could read what he said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.