White man charged with 'knockout game' hate crime. Racial hypocrisy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bugwar, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

From the article:
    The Obama administration filed a federal hate-crimes charge Thursday against a man whom authorities accused of using the “knockout game” to target a black man, videotaping it, and then bragging about the assault to strangers.
    The charge marks the first time the administration has taken action on a “knockout” case after the game became an Internet and media phenomenon.
    It chose a case in which the person accused is white, even though most other cases reported in the news have involved black assailants.

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-suspect-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Let's all conveniently ignore this part while we pounce on the Obama administration for hating on the evil white man.

3. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Emperor

I was hoping that it was a 79 year old white dude attacking a 27 year old black man. That's also pretty much par for the course as well.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

Well, this new "game" seems to be getting very out of hand (with a number of fatalities by now).

Re the Obama move mentioned in the OP: it is another bad move, obviously. Nothing would be wrong with doing otherwise, and if he actually meant to not turn this into a race issue he could have filed hate crime charges simultaneously against two of the gamers who would have different "racial" background.
    Instead he chose to make it more of a race issue. Well done :/

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

No hypocrisy here. There just wasn't enough evidence to prosecute the black men for hate crimes. Black men aren't stupid enough to record the hate crime on their cell phone.

I say get rid of hate crime laws altogether, they are stupid and make no sense. You can't prosecute a person for what they think in their head.

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

No, you can't prosecute someone for what goes on in their heads. Until it affects what they actually do.

7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

What if they can will other people's brain to explode?

8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Why is this white guy getting affirmative action? This gives him a shot of serving his time in a cushy Federal prison. Blacks doing this crime are stuck with serving out their sentences in the tougher state prisons.

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I've carried out numerous trials on this.

So far results have been disappointing. I've managed to provoke one or two migraine attacks, though.

10. metatron

metatron unperson

Can you explain why it's a federal crime anyway?

Is that about his very loose plans to have his documentation publicised?

11. JollyRoger

I once tried the knockout game on a Teahadist. I wasn't charged with anything because the act had no chance of brain damage and a small chance of knocking some sense into the victim's head.

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Hate crime legislation itself is stupid and shouldn't exist. That said, if stupid laws are going to exist, they should apply them.

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

Hmmm, aren't you a lawyer? (or going to be one?). It is not a very good idea to leave such soundbytes all over the place. Think of your future moment at NBC when someone suddenly opens an envelope and quotes the above sentence :D

14. JollyRoger

Hate crimes in general are considered within the realm of civil rights which gives the Feds the power to prosecute for a hate crime even if the state is prosecuting for the baseline crime.

15. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Yeah, it's a way for the feds to basically nullify double jeopardy and try someone a 2nd time for the same act.

16. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

This reminds me of the Linda Smith quote about rugby.

Which seemed unduly harsh to me. Though funny.

17. JollyRoger

That would be great. The publicity would give an instant boost to my practice.

18. JollyRoger

Dual sovereignty doctrince allows the states or the Feds to enforce their own laws even when the other sovereign beats them to the punch. You wouldn't want Missouri to be sto watch the Feds bungle a case when the perp violated Missouri law, but the Feds got to the prosecution first, would you?

Besides, hate crimes to not share the exact same elements of the baseline offense, so such a prosecution would fall outside of double jeopardy without the dual soverienty doctrine. The state would be prosecuting him for the act of punching with the general intent to throw the punch. The Feds are prosecuting him for throwing the punch with a specifically defined intent.

19. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I don't think someone who commits murder should be tried twice for murder just because multiple levels of government find ways to charge him twice for it.

20. JollyRoger

Lets say a Federal Judge gets murdered. Who should be able to prosecute? If both the Feds and state can prosecute, should it come down to who prosecutes first? What if the state thinks that the Federal judge was better off dead and quickly gets a guilty plea with probation in order to block the Fed prosecution. You soft enough on crime to be ok with that?