Who-5: Tom Tom Club builds a party lounge training game

Why CB: because then it will give you a different tech. CB and Pottery are the cheapest techs, so you would get them first. But you start with Pottery and are researching CB, so it will move up- to the 3rd-cheapest AA tech: Bronze Working.

Whomp said:
Yes on number one but on number two yes but why?

As it's the cheapest it is the one that is least beneficial to receive for free. You stated that you can't receive something that you are researching; if we are researching CB we will be granted another, more expensive tech.

Bucephalus said:
As it's the cheapest it is the one that is least beneficial to receive for free. You stated that you can't receive something that you are researching; if we are researching CB we will be granted another, more expensive tech.
Cookies for you!!!

Same would be true later.
If you plant a city while starting new research. Set research to the cheapest tech and switch back to what you really wanted to research after the village pops (unless you get the tech you wanted) :D

These are all pretty good starts, but I like number 2 the best. Here's why:
TTC1: A cow and chops, along with a river and some BG's could mean a strong early game, with good food.
TTC3: No river, so we will not be able to fully utilize the wheat. Throw that out.
TTC4: Cows and mountain and a river and a goody hut! You gotta be kidding me! Great for the late game SS parts production.

TTC2, though, is best, I think. For one, it has chops, a cow, a goody hut, and a lux. Since we are playing on a highr level, that spice could come in handy. Also, there is minimal ocean tiles, and with good city placement, we could get some good SS parts out of Ring 1 cities.
Early, though, could be a problem, because food might be in short supply. My vote for 2, though.

Spamming to subsribe... and glad to offer advice if it's wanted. :D

lurker's comment: @Whomp -- It's my understanding that barbs won't pop so long as you don't have any military, but that you can still get them on border expansion otherwise. I've had the latter happen when I neglected to garrison a distant island obtained in a peace treaty. I was in the modern age and it still had a goodie hut outside culture borders. I can't imagine why I built a cheap culture building there, probably to snag a food bonus, but I did and popped the hut. Very embarassing to have barbs loot a city when you have bombers and nukes. :blush:

Anyway, you won't get barbs in the two maps you have here where the huts will insta-pop.

I might suggest another tech to set sights on once the hut pops and the free tech issue resolves. It's one of my favorites and a good reason to go with seafaring or commercial.

Monkey--that is not the way I understand it according to DocT during SGOTM8 I think it was. Barb camps and goodie huts being two different things. It is also only in the AA that this works. Maybe someone can confirm.

I'm going to play civ 3 again, and looking for interesting SG. I would like to join this if there are still any open slots. At this time, training game will be also nice for me :crazyeye:

My drum and battle stuff is ready!

Whomp said:
Good analysis so far.
CommandoBob said:
But building here, we pop the goody hut. It could have barb warriors
This is one of the few times you won't pop barbs. When a city border expands over a goody hut no barbs pop. You may get nothing, maybe maps but sometimes you get goodies. When placing cities in the future this can be a benefit and should be somewhat of a consideration when placing cities. It also works when you're two tiles away and cultural borders expand.
Well, that changes things around, and in a good way. :)

With no guys in white underwear springing up from the ground to attack us, I agree with Theryman that TTC 2 is best. It's best feature: a luxury close enough to touch. At Emperor, we get one and only one content citizen per city. All others are born grumpy. This luxury is only 6 WTs away.

In this case, with the goody hut able to give us a free tech when we build Capital City (London or Whompdon or Tom Tom City or something else) can we begin to research anything before we build our first city?

@Theryman: I like TTC2 too, but the map position is blech.:vomit:

I guess we can stick with TTC4, it was my second choice.:D :p

Map position is good, but it should never judge your starting location. Given a good start, we can get an early lead, and maybe boost out ahead.

I may be wrong, though.

This helped me to focus:

Ancient Times Tech Chart

This is from an English C3C start up. Alphabet and Pottery are our starting techs and are high lighted in blue by the game. Each of the leftmost techs are starting techs for the other civ traits, with The Wheel and Warrior Code being shared by militarist civs, they will get one or the other but not both.

Which means that we can most likely get the leftmost techs by trading.

So what should we research?

Pottery leads to Map Making, but MM needs Writing, which requires Alphabet, and this we already know. We need to research Writing in order to learn something tradable.

What to research after Writing will depend on the game situation. Some things to keep in mind, since we have not discussed them, are:
  1. We want to get out of Despotism as soon as we can. In this age that means either Monarchy or Republic.
  2. We need to be a learned civilization and will need libraries to get smarter faster (even with tech trading).
  3. Philosophy grants a free tech to the first civ to learn it.

I think that by learning Writing we will able to trade it for most of the leftmost techs.

Whomp said:
Gmaharriet will give cookies to the person who answers these correctly. :D
Bucephalus, Good thinking. :thumbsup: Here's enough cookies to share with the rest of the team. :D

Well I absolutely agree with CommandoBob , I think we should research writing right then Philosophy to have a free tech , and we'll try to choose tech that the AI's does'nt have .
it will be great if they'll have some good tech to give us for our free tech .

we can also try to research COL first , then Philosophy and choose The Republic for free tech . with this way we'll meet new goverement early in the game .
I believe that if we'll research Writing before that AI will , we'll have their techs by a good deal with'em .

We've the Alphabet , We build city along the Coast , we can build Curragh .
if we'll successfuly meet AI`s from other continents , our chances will be much higher for tech benefits ( at least I think so .)

Are we going to get the Glib? Or are we gonna rely entirely on trading to get the techs we need?

I would suggest trading, since this is emperor level. At higher levels, good trading skills is a must.:scan:

Smart you are welcome to join this team.
OK here's the save.
Try to be detailed in your logs especially for worker tasks. The worker is important in your attempt at philo but working the commerce fields. Are you going to move the settler?

Roster: I tried to split it up for timezones.
Bucephalus up
CommandoBob
goodsmell
Ansar the king frog
Vind2
Smart
Theryman

Attachments

• Tom Tom Club4, 4000 BC.SAV
    46.6 KB · Views: 102
:devil:

lurker's comment: anybody stick a tongue in the water to test for salt?

Theryman said:
Are we going to get the Glib? Or are we gonna rely entirely on trading to get the techs we need?
There's no way you can convince me the Glib will help you towards a space shot. I can think of wonders that will but they will come much later in the game.

Since Bede just posted it reminded me to put up a decision tree he and Rik Meleet did in a training game I played in. Before any trades trades are consumated I'd like you to turn through these questions. If you decide to make a trade(s) then save the game before so we can look at it for evaluation purposes.

The decision making process:
  1. Can I afford it?
  2. Do I need it?
  3. 3. Can it be traded profitably?
If only 1 of these 3 qualifies then it's a bad trade. If it's 2 of 3 it's acceptable and if it's 3 of 3 it's excellent.

--When structuring a trade: Start with the most expensive monopoly and work your way down to the next near monopoly and finish with the cheap techs at the end for the possibility of a 3 or 4 fer and a profitable trade.
--Do you need it right away or could it wait? Dead end techs are many times not useful.

Top Bottom