1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the best leaders

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Bast, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Deity

Augustus Caesar.

Spoiler :
    Me and my brother has a bit of an argument who are tthe better of the two romans. My bro goes for Julius but I'm one Augustus side.

2. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Genghis Khan easily is the best.

3. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

Yeah, Ghengis Khan is definately up there... probably #1 in my book. Hannibal was also a great leader, although I think he was just a Carthaginian general. What about Hitler? He was clearly one of the best leaders ever if you are able to get past the fact that he was extremely evil (Ghengis Khan arguably was rather evil too, his atrocities are just in the further distant past).

4. SickCycle

SickCycle Prince

i've learned to discredit anything evil twin says.... shaka was dead when the british invaded

genghis khan was the greatest ruler

hannibal the greatest general

gandhi the greatest leader

5. SickCycle

SickCycle Prince

the difference between hitler and genghis is genghis won... and hitler lost.. he obviously wasn't that smart.. and genghis didn't just go around cleansing the lands llike some psychotic he just conquered the world through force and even offered them submission before he attacked.. it's there own fault if they didn't agree.

the mongols were nomands so the leaders would be left in control all they had to do was pay tribute..

also..

'Genghis Khan saw the potential advantage in Khwarezmia (as it is also referenced) as a commercial trading partner, and sent a 500-man caravan to establish trade ties with the empire. However, Inalchuq, the governor of the Khwarezmian city of Otrar, attacked the caravan that came from Mongolia, claiming that the caravan was a conspiracy against Khwarezmia.'

people were hostile towards genghis.. they just bit off more then they could chew, he was actually a good ruler.

6. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

It's true, the Anglo-Zulu wars began after Shaka was assassinated by his half-brother because of his "erratic behavior." Since Shaka was actually assassinated for the reason that he was mad with power and his armies were rebelling against him (he made them stay celibate and failure in battle meant death)-- which is usually a pretty good indicator that you were a really crappy leader when all is said and done.

7. SickCycle

SickCycle Prince

rofl, i'd be unhappy if he made me stay celibate.. how can you ask your soldiers to fight for you when they can't even get some the night before a battle..

it makes sense though, many athletes wont have 'relations' two weeks before an event..

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Demented Sociopath

I was half asleep when I wrote that and didn't think to do the pertinent research before posting. So yes I was mistaken.
    There you go SickCycle, you got one right where I got it wrong. That surely makes up for the 20 or so times you've embarassed yourself with your crackpottery.

9. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

Hitler did eventually lose... however he pulled a much bigger "upset" than Ghengis Khan. Bringing a crushed post WW1 Germany back to the world's most powerful country? That was pretty impressive... clearly he was psychotic but he's not the only leader ever to do stupid things because he believed in religious dogma.

10. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

You do know that Hitler was an atheist, right? As was Stalin?

11. blakos

blakos Chieftain

New Zealands is a reasonable democracy.

12. blakos

blakos Chieftain

Hittler rookied it by invading Russia. 'Never start a land war in Asia'. He should of gone for Britain..........

13. SickCycle

SickCycle Prince

.. This is an accomplishment of the german people not hitler, i also wonder what he did to force such productivity.

Genghis khan only conquered most the known world... in one lifetime, name a single ruler that can say that.

Hitler was a freaking moron but I did find a good adolf quote for evil twin.. fits rather nicely.

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
    -Adolf Hitler

and he's a moron because he could of won wwii, he lost it, not germany. what kind of moron declares war on the entire world at one time, seriously if he used more deception and diplomacy he would of won, but all the moron could do was slash and burn.

The German people were the power, hitler was just a propagandist

14. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

zomg Franklin Delano Roosevelt hands down. He may have done terrible things but...................... they werent as bad as what George W. B**** has done.

note i am only 14 so it is not my fault if my brain hasnt reached full devolopement

15. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

Cyrus the Great. United most of the near east and kept it together through tolerance and good government. Augustus is about equal to him.

16. Legal_My_Deagle

Legal_My_Deagle Warlord

Not the absolute BEST of all time, or even a leader of a nation, but as a favorite historical military leader I want to add Spartacus to the list. Smacked around the greatest military in the world at the time, running around their own country, and the Romans were NOT used to losing.

17. IbnKhaldun

IbnKhaldun Chieftain

Wow... Selecting the "Best" from such a line-up is pretty hard to do. Not for lack of possibilities but rather because the qualifications to make someone the "best" are very hard to define. I suppose I can list a couple of my favorites...

1) Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd President of The United States, Governor of New York AND three-time Time Magazine's "man of the year":
    I admit, in the grand scheme of human civilization this selection might seem slightly 'presentist' but c'mon FDR was awesome! Not only did he take the necessary steps to get the United States out of the Great Depression, but he did it without succumbing to any one of the frightening and 'isms' of the twentieth century. At different points through his era (and I mean ERA, the guy won four elections) the US was not far from becoming a Fascist-Corporatist state or a Centrally Planned economy, yet he walked a relatively narrow path and preserved the Republic. Also reinvigorating the Western Front of the European Theatre and single handedly dominating the Pacific Theatre of WWII wasn't too shabby either. Anyone who can win a world war, stave off the seductions of governmental absolutism and give hope to his people through his words WHILE fighting a personal battle with polio has got my vote. Plus the guy had class, look at the silly cigarette holders he smoked out of. The guy personified a certain noblesse oblige that the States' modern leader could learn from.

I'll share my thoughts about my other favorites tomorrow, I am meeting some friends at the bar.

18. SickCycle

SickCycle Prince

George W. Bush is the greatest 'ruler' the United States ever had ;)

19. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

More originality in the Bush bashing, please. I'm getting really bored of all of this easy stuff.

20. m4gill4

m4gill4 King

To repeat what RedRalphWiggum said perhaps a bit more coherently, FDR wanted very badly to be involved in WWII. He worked very hard to convince the American people to go to war. It was only after the attack at Pearl Harbor that he was provided with enough justification to convince the (at the time) isolationist American people to go to war in Europe (again).