Who are the best leaders

i must of killed the topic.. lol.

I'm gonna say Henry VIII because he had the balls to severe England from Roman Church. United England and Wales into one nation. Tried to allow his illegitimate son to be able to receive the throne.

Tang Taizong

My top Five Leaders:

No 5 - Maria Theresa, The only Ruling Hasburg Queen
Learning the art of ruling on her own, Maria Theresa inherited Austria during wartime, her realm was invaded and she bought time by ceding territories, nevertheless she began modernising the Empire, expanding the army nearly 4 times its original size, organizing a central goverment and improving the Austrian Economy. In her later life, she began reforms such as outlawing torture and witchburning while improving the Millitary. Her greatest Reform would be for education. She made education complusary a first in Europe then.

No 4 - Tokugawa Ieyasu, First Shogun of United Japan
Ieyasu started out his life as a hostage. His caretaker had threaten to kill him unless Ieyasu's father had agreed to cut all ties with a rival clan. The father refused. Fortuanatly, Ieyasu was spared. When he turned 24, he was allowed to leave and he began his millitary Career back at his native land where He rose in power through his battles. Later, he allied with his Caretaker, The Oda Clan and fought for Hedioshi, who nearly united Japan. On his deathbed, Hedioshi chose Ieyasu and 4 others to rule Japan until his son could rule. After several caimpangs, Ieyasu siezed power and was the de facto ruler of Japan. For the first time, stability and peace was acheived. Ieyasu introduced reforms that limited the rebelious Daimyo power and set up a state that would last for 300 years

No 3 - Salah Ah-Din, Champion of Islam

A kurdish general, he served under his uncle fighting the "heretic" Fatimids in Egypt. When his uncle died, he became viser and ruled Egypt. Upon the death of Nu Al-Din he marched into Damacus and claimed Syria. Salah Ah-Din united Egypt and Syria together and was the first united muslim power that surrounded the Crusader States. He was know to the world as a chilvarious man for having spared cities that surrended to him peacefully. His greatest achievement which won him the title, Champion of Islam was the recapture of Jerusalem.

No 2 - Süleyman I, The Magnificient

No 1 - Elizabeth I, The Virgin Queen

Augustus Caesar.

I agree that Augustus was one of the greatest rulers of all time. Julius Caesar, though, is probably one of the most overrated leaders of all time. I mean, he might have been an effective military commander and conqueror, but as a statesman he was a total loser. Firstly he was basically only a sovereign ruler for about a year and then there is that whole "dictator for life" thing. Seriously, he should have read the fine print before taking the job. - :worship: "of course I accept, I'm honoured...BTW what's that shiny thing you're holding behind your back?":backstab:

Somehow I get the feeling that I wouldn't find this same discussion on a CounterStrike forum.

I don't think the average CounterStrike player is this invested in a discussion of history. In fact, they might not even be aware of the concept of history at all.

I play Counter-strike :lol:
Anyway, I was just kidding :)

i played CS all the time, even made a few maps one based off my house, and a few more Scoutzknivez maps. I haven't played in a few months, and even then that was 2 hours of play after a 6 month absense which was again a few hours of play after several months absent. I broke my headset, and it destroyed half my fun.. Yeah i like to swear at the 12 year old kids lol. I remember one kid calimed he was 18 on his own, and while he was . .. .. .. .. .ing you could hear his mom go "Honey what flavor snack pack you want for lunch tommorrow?" lol I was dieing.

I guess it depends on who you ask. If you ask one of the millions upon millions who lost family during his dictatorship, I'd imagine they'd say they were worse off. Economically, they were about the same, maybe a bit worse. Industrially, yes, they were much better off.

who are you, ayn rand? ;)

how are we defining best leader? the one that improved the lives of the citizenry the most during his/her rule? the one that created a lasting quality of life for the nation? the one that prevented defeat at the hands of a foe?

define!

honestly... idk.. I think theyd have to atleast do one great thing, like Unite Japan, Be able to convince people to do your bidding through speaking, Defeat a larger more advanced military, Increase the Country's Power in the world, Fix many domestic problems while solving it's foriegn problems. You know the ones that can do the hard stuff and make it great.

Teddy Roosevelt is the greatest leader of all time :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) He's a tough SOB, was a great President, great speaker, tough SOB, built up the Great White Fleet, Built the Panama Canal, established national Forest and wildlife reserves, pulled America into the progressive era, Regulated Trusts, the guy got shot and then gave a speech. TR did so much greatness lol Sorry, I am biased..

how are we defining best leader? the one that improved the lives of the citizenry the most during his/her rule? the one that created a lasting quality of life for the nation? the one that prevented defeat at the hands of a foe?

define!

I think broadly people are going by how much a leader improved the power and standing of their nation... ends as opposed to means

Top Bottom