Who are the Civs?

KillerClowns

Emperor
Ever since I first found this enjoyable mod, I've been wondering the title question. I suspect that the various civs are more akin to the factions of SMAC, united by a cause more than anything else. I'd like to hear about the general ideas behind each civ. And for good measure, I figure I'll post my impressions of the few I've played. I could be totally, completely, and utterly wrong in my theories. But that's what makes it fun! :)

Hopeville and the Aquarians: (Sounds like a 60s band when I put them together...) Both have a pretty big hippie vibe to them, but I'm figuring they have one important difference. I wouldn't name my civilization Hopeville unless people were seeking hope; I'm guessing that the people of Hopeville want to build a better world out of the ashes of the old, but look upon the apocolypse as a fundamentally bad event. One that was caused by the world's greed and corruption, but one that could have been prevented, allowing utopia to be achieved without the countless deaths that came with the end of the world. The Aquarians, in contrast, presumably see this armageddon as the "dawning of the age of Aquarius." A necessary cleansing to clear the world of the myriad evils of modern society. I'd guess them to be more of a cult than anything else. A peaceful one, perhaps, (I've not had them in enough games to judge yet) but a nonetheless very creepy bunch of people.

Desert Wind: Montezuma II and the use of the Native American banner/language make this one seem to me to be what became of the Native American reservations after armageddon. I would guess they'd be more likely to survive than most because they've kept parts of their ancient ways alive, and could adapt them to the new world when modern technology has failed. The name "Desert Wind," meanwhile, combined with their leader calling himself "Montezuma II," suggests the tribes in question are Southwest American and Mexican tribes. But the "Desert Wind" name also conjures up two other things: the Judas Priest song "Desert Plains," and free-roaming bikers, albeit ones more like travelling Bedouins then roving gangs.

EDIT: How could I forget:
Kilobyte's People (since their name eludes me) (EDIT: a.k.a. the Amdahl): I'm guessing by the leader's name, tattoo, and background that these guys are the resident tech cult. Emphasis on cult; they doubtless have a religious reveration for anything high-tech they can get running. And perhaps even the things they can't get to work are treated as holy relics, to be revered like fallen saints until they are once again resurrected. Of course, a mere 20 years after armageddon (on Turn 1, in other words), they'd just be standard issue geeks with clear memories of how computers work, trying to scrape out a living in the wastes, but it would only take a few generations and a bit of radiation to the brain to amend that...

Oddly, I read your sig first. ROTFL. You have hit the nail(s) on the head(s) with your summaries of the existing LH/civs.

I haven't really spent much time detailing the LH/civs yet. Another playtester, jabie, has written a couple of good backgrounds which I will be putting into the upcoming version. You can read about it in this thread.

Also, I have put together a little spreadsheet which summarizes the traits and gives a one line description of each. You can download the excel file at this link. I haven't added the backgrounds from jabie to this page yet, but apart from that it is up-to-date.

If you're interested, please contribute! I am not much good as a creative writer, but it really helps the flavor of the mod.

Oddly, I read your sig first. ROTFL.
Thanks... I wish I could take credit for it, but I just nicked this rather humerous tangent, as you likey guessed from the use of quote tags.

Also, I have put together a little spreadsheet which summarizes the traits and gives a one line description of each. You can download the excel file at this link. I haven't added the backgrounds from jabie to this page yet, but apart from that it is up-to-date.
Thank you, I'll be looking over it. But shouldn't this be somewhere easier to find? Or have I managed to overlook it a hundred times?

If you're interested, please contribute! I am not much good as a creative writer, but it really helps the flavor of the mod.
I'm having a bit of a dry spell lately, but if I come up with anything, I'll post it here.

EDIT: Small suggestion, though. Monty II is listed as preferring Plutocracy, but I'm getting more of an Anarchist vibe. But maybe it's just because of the fact that I can't see his civ name without thinking of Judas Priest.

Thank you, I'll be looking over it. But shouldn't this be somewhere easier to find? Or have I managed to overlook it a hundred times?

All of the information is in the civilopedia, the xls is just a summary. What place would you recommend that would be easier to find?

All of the information is in the civilopedia, the xls is just a summary. What place would you recommend that would be easier to find?

Technically, the short civ descriptions and whose personalities the leaders are based on aren't in the 'pedia yet, unless, as is quite possible, I missed them. (At present, I've only skim-read the 'pedia, but I'm pretty confident I didn't see them there.) But I'm assuming both will be added when longer, more fleshed-out descriptions are written.
The XLS is a very convinient out-of-game summary though, especially since my computer with BtS doesn't have internet, and vice-versa. I'd suggest posting it for a quick reference in the sticky, if only so nobody finds themselves having to refer to the Amdahl as "Kilobyte's People."

It is true that the three-word description is not in the pedia, but these are so short as to be not worth much anyway. These are the ones I want to replace with real backgrounds.

The link back to the "leader AI" such as Brian using the Kublai Khan AI, is in the game files but it is not visible in the pedia. It is unlikely to mean anything to you anyway, and in fact it breaks the illusion of uniqueness. I don't want the player to think of Brian as just Kublai Khan with another face. I have just picked out certain "collections of XML attributes" and re-used them. I'm not explicitly hiding this, but I don't see a reason to put it into the standard game documentation either.

The other stuff like traits and which leader goes to which civ is certainly visible in the pedia. The leaders tab of the pedia shows the traits, and the civs tab of the pedia shows which leader goes to which civ. I suppose there is no obvious way to ask, "given this leader, which civ does he go to", but it isn't that hard to get.

I've been playing as the New Holy Romans lately, and during my game, this little incident appeared in my head. I offer it as Stein's 'pedia:

"Now," Stein said as he motioned to the wastleand around him, "does anyone know who caused this?" The crowd surrounding him muttered to himself before one young lad yelled out, "the Jews!" Stein looked at him. "What's your name," Stein asked the man who had spoken. "Billy Johnson, sir." "Well then, Billy Johnson. You reckon the Jews did it? Good guess. I'd have said the same thing... if I was mentally ******ed."

Billy Johnson looked at Stein incredulously, but Stein continued. "So, Billy-boy, tell me. Why would the Jews want to turn the world into this?" "Way I see it, they were gonna turn the whole world into a new Zion." Stein shrugged. "I supposed that makes sense. You're still wrong, but at least you aren't as dumb as I thought." Billy Johnson smiled as if he had been awarded a medal. "So," Stein said to the crowd around him, "any other guesses." From in back, "it was the liberals!" "Name?" "Charlie Smith, sir!" "Why do you reckon the liberals would blow this whole world to smithereens?" "So they can build some kinda hippie world and have all the sodomy they want, sir!" "Wrong again. Am I the only one who notices anything?"

The crowd went silent. "So, I guess nobody here has figured it out, have they? You know who brought the old world to an end?" The crowd mumbled, but nobody dared answer. Stein smiled. "I'm gonna explain this real simply. Now, who survives in this new world?" There was another outburst of muttering. Then Billy Johnson, eager to please, yelled out "the strong!" "Exactly. Now, who dies in this world?" "The weak!" Stein's smile broadened. "Billy, you are a lot smarter then I thought you was at first. So, care to take a guess at who caused this new world to form?" Billy mumbled and scratched his head. "The strong?"

Stein looked at him carefully. "Close. Wrong, but very close. I'll give you credit, you're thinking the right way. No, I tell you who gave us this wonderful chance to rebuild the world, and cleanse it of the scum that once ruled it from the shadows. It was God Almighty himself who gave us this opprotunity. And it is our duty, as servants of God Almighty, to take this gift and make this world a pure world!"

Cool! I'll put it in. Care to try for 20 city names? At least a good capitol.

For our psycho redneck friends?

I'm thinking a good capitol would be "New Reichmond," a corruption of "New Richmond." (In reference to Richmond, Virginia, the Confederacy capital. Yes, I realize "reich" sounds nothing ike "rich." But I couldn't resist the pun, even if it is of questionable quality.) I can't think of any other city names, though.

Religious fascists? How about...

1. New Reichmond
2. Eagle Cross
3. Struggle
4. Flagellation
5. Pennance
6. Purgatory
7. Redemption Point
8. Cilice
9. Godstown
10. Thorn
11. Toil