1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the great Civ4 players?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mike Hussey, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Mike Hussey

Mike Hussey Cricketer

You know how you had SirPleb, Moonsinger, Bede, zerksees (king of come backs) etc from Civ3. Who are their Civ4 equivalents? I would like to read their games/plays lol.

2. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

There are alot of very good players in the gotm forum. There are also some doing hof of course. As well as someone playing deity games here in forum. I believe Moonsinger actually is quite good at civ 4 as well. Reading the discussion about games in general of the walkthroughs here in the forum will often lead to a greater understanding of the game.

3. pawelo

pawelo Emperor

Check games by Snaaty and Unconquered Sun for Deity level.
    Sisutil's OLC series are also worth a shot as his games are followed by an incredible amount of players formulating constructive remarks along the way. Right now he is playing Emperor level.

In the Succession Games Forum there are also great players - they are too many of them in fact :D

4. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Look in the HOF, SG, GOTM and Strategy section and you will find many writeups of impressive games, just look at the opening post and check the difficulty level the game is at and peruse those at the level you're looking for. There are games up to Deity on all those boards, thats Ricky Ponting level Mike ;) .

5. darrelljs

darrelljs Immortal

From civfanatics, I'd say Unconquered Sun, Mutineer, acidsatry, snaaty, and DaveMcW have all proven themselves capable of winning at the highest levels. I'm sure there are more I am missing, and a ton of other outstanding players that aren't quite at the upper echelon. Over at Apolyton I would say Blake is the best player. I'm sure there are others but I am not as familiar with them. At Realms Beyond I'd go with uberfish as probably the top player, with Sulla, Kylearan, sooooo, T-Hawk, and probably about a dozen others just behind him.

This SG had an all star roster that will probably never be duplicated.

Darrell

6. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

uberfish, mutineer, snaaty, davemcw, obsolete, unconquered sun, aelf, etc. etc. there are quite a few top players around these forums!

7. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Just for sake of justice I would like to add Giaur... but all the names already quoted are pretty strong players ( I have the pleasure of already shared a SG or 2 with some of them and they are really good )

@darrelljs

Acid 04 was really a a uber team... most likely will never be joined again :( ( with blake having other duties .... ). Hopefully someday a team with the same level will appear :please:

8. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

From the HOF area, I'd add Moonsinger (she still plays HOF games, at deity of course), WastinTime (owner of the 500BC UN diplo victory), Lexad (immortal archipelago conquest on quick :eek:), and Gosha190 (numerous gauntlet victories). There are a number of other players that post HOF games at immortal/deity as well that I'm not remembering off the top of my head...

9. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

The GOTM forums has some very good players and I suggest that you all should come on down there (especially with BtS-of the months going on). The first deity player that comes to my mind from the GOTM forum is jesusin, but there are many many more there such as hhhawk, Cactuspete, etc (and most overlap with the HOF forums).

edit- as far as seeing people's games there, the spoilers often have good write-ups from good players and the posted results for each GOTM entry includes the replay file and final saves IIRC.

10. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

This one bugs me to death. When a bunch of top players, get together with the AI coders (the ones who know exactly how the AI functions, and how to exploit it the most), and they still end up getting their asses kick.

I should add, got their asses kicked while starting on an optimum start, and even getting their UU online right from the start.

It so pains me to see even big warmonger addicts, get the best of things their way at the start, and still have to rely on so much luck and gambits. First they attacked Roosevelt, and prayed things went their way. At the same time, Ragnar was slightly more than 50% to attack them, but they all agreed 'IF' Ragnar attacked them, they'd just restart another map and give up right away.

In the end, they got away with the early gambit, but the luck ran out later on and the whole team just got owned by the AIs.

This is one thing I really hate about games that have levels like this. Even if you are an all-knowing GOD, you still need a whole chain of luck events just to pull off a win on Deity.

11. reverend oats

reverend oats King

Remember, that was with Blake's BetterAI mod, which made the game much harder. There are many players who can beat normal deity reguraly.

12. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I wouldn't say "many" for the vanilla or warlords deity. Those two deity flavors are significantly harder than the bts deity. The bts deity gets smaller bonuses and doesn't get the instant upgrade perk (probably the most frustrating AI bonus) any more. Feel free to prove me wrong on this, but I don't think there were any players who could beat vanilla/warlords deity regularly on standard settings (normal speed). GOTM 15 is a good example of this - one win posted total.

13. URSExelcior

URSExelcior Warlord

The best players don't post on forums IMO. Sisitul is alright I guess, he gets alot of help though.

14. Bureaucracy

Bureaucracy Chieftain

Thanks anyway Darrell for bringing up that link. I had never seen a "team" game before. I had thought that term only came into existence for on-line pre-made alliances.

Where there are more team games on that level? It's too bad they got crushed, but it was fun reading through it when we had some "hope" they could do it.

Usually people have different styles, so I can see how sometimes it may cause some players to pull their hair out in frustration. A CE player joined up with an SE, and a builder with a warmonger, etc. But that's fun stuff.

15. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

It doesn't bug me. For me having a hard level keeps the game from feeling solved and stale. Of course Civ 4 is so moddable that you could always add a harder level, but it's cosmetic.

I'm not going to prove you wrong, but there were some people who made statements implying that they could win on normal settings Deity some of the time. I believe it. Maps vary a lot. I've seen that I can do a lot better with a good map.

I don't have any particular reason to doubt that, but I'm curious as to why you believe it.

But I do have an intuition that's potentially to the contrary. Civ 4 takes a long time to learn and play. You play it on a computer. People web surf. Anyone spending that much time getting good is likely to at least glance at some forums. Sure, they might not care or they might not post.

16. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

:lol: Looking back on my post, I forgot to add the word "regularly." I thought I had put it in but guess not :blush: I agree that people were able to win occasionally, no doubt on that. I'd like to add that deity requires a large amount of luck, even for the best players. Hence the inconsistency and inability to win consistently. There isn't much you can do against a deity AI attack on you in the BC years.

17. Mike Hussey

Mike Hussey Cricketer

What kind of bonuses do the AI get at each successive level above noble?

18. redmosquito

redmosquito barbarian bear

after you discover computers a great player may spawn at your capital city !

19. darrelljs

darrelljs Immortal

There was a dueling deity game a loooooong time ago that also ended in defeat. Acidsatyr started another Warlords Deity game without Blake's AI but they were bum rushed early. The bum rush is why winning on Deity regularly is not achievable, according to uberfish.

I think they would have won that game without Blake's AI...he had a version that spammed units much like the Aggressive AI setting in BTS, and there were some pretty warlike neighbors as well.

Darrell

20. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

I miss Sirians SG's, as his writing is both very funny and very informative :sad:.

Sirian is the guy who coded CIV4 map generator, for those who don't know.