Who are the great Civ4 players?

I used to think that DaveMcW was a good player, but then he suggested that we pillage all of our own cottages so that nobody can "outtech our hillbilly civs". :lol:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=254602&highlight=hate+cottages
(Post #2)

VoiceOfUnreason obviously has a very deep understanding of the game, particularly some of the inner mechanics. CivCorpse, Airefuego, and Gooblah are good players...they have given me lots of good advice....
I have also learned a lot from Futurehermit, InvisibleStalker, UncleJJ, and MadScientist, too.

Lots of great players out there willing to help the mediocre ones like myself.
:hatsoff:

~Benford's Law

I used to think that DaveMcW was a good player, but then he suggested that we pillage all of our own cottages so that nobody can "outtech our hillbilly civs". :lol:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=254602&highlight=hate+cottages
(Post #2)

VoiceOfUnreason obviously has a very deep understanding of the game, particularly some of the inner mechanics. CivCorpse, Airefuego, and Gooblah are good players...they have given me lots of good advice....
I have also learned a lot from Futurehermit, InvisibleStalker, UncleJJ, and MadScientist, too.

Lots of great players out there willing to help the mediocre ones like myself.
:hatsoff:

~Benford's Law

Hey that comment by Dave was a flash of brilliant insight!!!! I could not have played that MONTY RPC game without his suggestion to forgo cottages and burn all the AIs down!!!!

Glad my posts can help, but I am no where near the level of these players as I usually lose emperor level games.

I'm surprised that no one has said Godonut or A Turkish Guy. I would agree with most of the others already mentioned (especially Moonsinger, she's just insane).

Attacko

guides include Attacko's Art of Defense in Civ4, Attacko's Strategy Guide, and something like Statues, Facism, Industry.

the evidence is clear.

This thread is from right around when I joined. Amazing. Some of the top talent from then hasn't been seen in a while, but those who were listed then are even better now. I finally caught up to some of them, but CFC's top deity players are still a gold star above, just amazing.

I won't give up yet though ;).

Poor Dirk and ABCF here! Obs too. Actually there are several handfuls of top notch players now. Jealousy builds...it makes me want to train at Deity even more. Hate being away from my PC right now :p.

I was surprised that nobody mentioned themeinteam, then I noticed the date of the posts ^^

Most deity players have moved on to SG or GOTM like games. Duckweed is one of the best players posting on ST&T who hasn't been mentioned yet.

Sucession games, Game ot the month, and Strategy and tip forums

@Dirk: GOTM-like games, you mean those open challenges around this forum?

Well, I see TMIT posting a lot in those...

@Dirk: GOTM-like games, you mean those open challenges around this forum?

Well, I see TMIT posting a lot in those...
I meant GOTM, BOTM and other HOF like challenges that maybe around, often starting with 3 gems in BFC where you have to get CS 1000 bc etc... These games are often played on levels where the ais won't interfere with your intentions. I don't know the difference between BOTM and GOTM myself, have looked into some recent GOTM challenges and didn't like the format. Maybe BOTM provides more realistic challenges.

BOTM for BTS; GOTM for vanilla... WOTM for ? :)

I was surprised that nobody mentioned themeinteam, then I noticed the date of the posts ^^

Aye, around then I was still in the settler to noble learning phase :p. Even now I haven't earned a place among the forum's best. A lot of people who haven't been mentioned then or now are still ahead of me. Sun Tzu Wu, Jesusin, Ironhead, PaulisKhan, etc etc etc.

I meant GOTM, BOTM and other HOF like challenges that maybe around, often starting with 3 gems in BFC where you have to get CS 1000 bc etc... These games are often played on levels where the ais won't interfere with your intentions. I don't know the difference between BOTM and GOTM myself, have looked into some recent GOTM challenges and didn't like the format. Maybe BOTM provides more realistic challenges.

3x gem starts are unique to HoF which allows mapfinder. However, your goal is not beating the AI per se' in HoF, but rather out-playing other humans who also have 3x gem starts (you do of course have to win, but that's a rather low bar compared to what it takes to beat other submissions).

XOTM (WOTM is warlords by the way) is a bit different. You're given a start that everyone plays. It's not unlike monarch student or immortal university, other than that there's a strict, one play through rule that is enforced for no cheating. Players are awarded for fastest finishes of different VC's, as well as laurels for top score and top base score (a few others, too). They rotate in difficulty, but for immortal and deity you might as well expect it to be like a normal game there...although it seems the XOTM staff is on the kind side for high difficulties, so it doesn't just turn into "winning at all gets you a place". Guys like lexad/jesusin/shannonCT/gosha/jeffra are top notch players who can all handle standard settings deity (several of them won BOTM 10, which was a deity/normal game, although U Sun took the top spot there)

Duckweed wasn't very prevalent either when this thread first came out (at least not in S&T), I'd never seen him post until a couple months ago, and it's always weird to see a new face suddenly winning deity since that's uncommon :p.

The best players are generally divided between HoF, XOTM, Succession Games (including SGOTM which includes very strong talent from all the subforums really), Strategy and Tips, and multiplayer.

There are actually a lot of great players on this forum, and they're probably among the best you can see. At some point the variance in play from the best comes down to a calculated strategic decision or maybe slight micro variance...who would win depends on random factors and whether calculated risks pay off. In MP avoiding dogpiles/bad positions is probably as important as skill sadly. It isn't balanced like RTS, but civ wasn't originally designed for that.

the collection of names thrown about might last about one hour against Attacko if they all had good computers and allied together.

Top Bottom