1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the great Civ4 players?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Mike Hussey, Jan 9, 2008.

1. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

This thread was necroed because it needed more links. So far they have yet to be provided. I suppose someone could link to the latest botm(21(not finished)) as well as 10, they are both playable at ~deity and some people make great writeups for them. Not everyone play xotm competitions though. Linking to the various sgotm's would likely find another bunch of players that you aren't likely to find anywhere else. There are some great players in the pitboss and multiplayer communities. Linking to those will be rather hard however. I guess you can find some of them in the mtdg (but it is closed access so you can only see one side of the story, at least until the game is over, and not everyone who are signed up for a team are contributing as much to the forum). There are also a lot of great players in the succession game community.

2. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Another is the Sample Game thread which is stickied on this forum

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=258697

There are walkthroughs for every ability there.

3. Bleys

Bleys Deity

I will never understand why "Computer Gaming" isnt accepted as a hobby, just like any other hobby. People play golf every single day that will never make a SINGLE penny from it, yet they put on those pants and chase that ball around and are very serious about it all. I know because I used to be one, but cant because the back surgeries kinda put the kibosh on swinging a club. My hobby now is Computer Gaming. I also Watch Baseball. I also Play With My Grandchildren.

Anything can be an obsession. Sit on the toilet long enough and I will tell you its an unhealthy behavior that needs to be addressed. But hobbies are hobbies, everyone likes what they like, and who is anyone to ever judge that?

Oh and I am going with oyz on this. The real greats are over on them boards for sure. Even at my BEST I dabbled at Immortal because it was less fun for me to go farther. Thats me. If those folks over there find their systems and such fun, and I enjoy reading them for sure, I am all for it. People SHOULD do what they wish for their own entertainment.

4. Stewie0416

Stewie0416 Who Cares?

Amen to that! :D

5. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

I think it's because the stereotypical gamer is the fat, friendless, dork like the article in the link mentions. Like all stereotypes, there are exceptions; are all golfers rich dude with silly pants? Of course not. Are all blondes dumb? Unfortunately, like it or not, society has this stereotype of a gamer and stereotypes are hard to overcome, especially by narrow minded, mainstream America.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

That's more like a stereotypical american gamer. Of 10-15 years ago. For every fat gamer I know I know several more who look completely normal.

Stereotyping by an ignorant majority repeats in history. At least we're not getting burned/hung/etc for witchcraft or something. Eventually trends change and ignorance will ostracize something else. I hope those of us who are gamers now don't forget that when the masses start hating something else.

Note that while there is still bias against gamers, it *has* let up over the past several years. It also varies by country.

7. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Its changing, thats for sure. More and more people are finding games to fit their lifestyles, quickies that iWin and BigFish pump out by the dozens, browser ones for desk-guys on Facebook like Mafia Wars and Tiny Adventures, its growing FAST.

And its about time. Games keep the mind sharp, encourage problem solving, advanced thought, asking for help and learning to accept criticism, especially a game like this with such a powerful community of players. Keep up the good work Civ Fanatic, you are a GREAT example of whats positive about Computer Gaming.

As for whats negative about it, well, see my toilet example above. Anything can be taken to obsessive levels in an unhealthy way. If you are letting the games play YOU, then you have a lot more issues than just some computer game alone.

8. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

TMIT, I'm just curious as to which countries are more tolerant towards gamers and which ones are highly stereotypical?

9. Stewie0416

Stewie0416 Who Cares?

America tends to be less tolerant of so called "nerdy" games. But sports game are COMPLETELY fine:lol:

I find that when people mention RTS or strategy games they are usually ridiculed, at least in my High school experience:lol:

10. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Plenty of my classmates like to play RTS games, although they aren't usually the sports people.

11. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

I don't know about games,as a programmer i know from reading American programming journals that the programming standard in America is way higher than here in the Netherlands. In our country we just can't get anything right, it's mediocre all around and most of the people here seem to like that best. At least Americans seem to try to make the best of their talents, over here that's just not done.

12. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

America probably has better infrastructure to train their programmers, I doubt it has anything to do with social values (I use that term loosely, mind you ;)).

I don't know enough about other countries, but I know the anti-gaming stigma here is still alive (if weaker than before). Unlike SOME countries, we don't have the kind of televised gaming that others do, with the exception of a largely broken SPORTS game :p.

Don't get me wrong though. I like sports too. However, my best sport (wrestling) is once again not too popular where I live (though in the NE and midwest US I hear it's pretty big).

13. Churchdown Yank

Churchdown Yank Cyber Caesar

The UK is very much like the U.S. You wouldn't go around telling people "computer games" is one of your hobbies lest the conversation stop amidst raised eyebrows and everyone quietly drift away from you.

That being said, it's definitely less stigmatised than it was even 10 years ago. More people are playing them. And as someone has said above, the general trend towards internetting, social networking and some of the games associated with that are making the whole thing more mainstream. And the fact that a lot of us guys that started the whole gaming thing in the 80's are grown up now - and guess what? - despite our parent's dire predictions we're still gaming!

I'm still getting enjoyment out of CIV4. It's remarkable that the game still stays enjoyable as you get better at it. I wonder if we'll ever see CIV5? or SMAC 2? Just the other day I looked around for what Sid's been up to lately and don't really see anything on the horizon. Too bad really. These turn based strategy games are part of what's best about computer games.

14. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

The look on gaming is changing every year, and so does the people who play them.

Much thanks to the Sims, the Wii console, facebook games, etc.
    It's not so weird to play video/computer games anymore, almost everyone does it. :p

15. Silu

Silu Deity

I think for most people RTS/FPS/Strategy games are to those games what roleplaying conventions and LARP are to watching a Harry Potter movie. So I wouldn't count on them changing the attitudes ;) .

I don't think there's any country besides S-Korea where gaming is considered a "society-accepted" way to waste your time. Even there, I'm not sure how the general public thinks about it.