1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the Great People?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by xienwolf, Jul 16, 2008.

1. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Massively modified your idea for Hep, but nice inspiration :) Wound up re-writing it 3 or 4 times before I was satisfied with it being a "quotable" for history books.

I moved the quote Algeroth posted to Dain the Cytherean and trimmed it a bit :) 13 to go

2. merciary

merciary No idea what I'm doing

Dianchete - Female/Elven - Svartalfar - Every soul has it's own song and the body it's instrument. The key to making it sound is knowing where to strum and prod.

Tuatha Dé Danann - Male/Human - Elohim - A man should be averagely wise, for a man's heart is seldom cheerful if he is too wise.

(This one was adapted from an old Norse saying.)

3. Amerigo Arturo

Amerigo Arturo Chieftain

I should be a great person! Amerigo Arturo, the Great Merchant! Or I, Amerigo Arturo, should be the Lanun hero, I could be created when you learn optics, and I could have the power to create colonies without losing the hero unit, but can only create new colonies next to the coast. Or I could have laser bean eyes, either one. I should get some sleep.....

4. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Laser beans? Awesome.

5. Amerigo Arturo

Amerigo Arturo Chieftain

Haha, I really was tired, that is way cooler than laser beams.....

6. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Atnanor - Male/Infernal
    Make a man a fire, you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, you warm him for his lifetime.
    - To Serve Man by Atnanor, the Great

7. mahazel

mahazel Chieftain

I really like this one, but aren`t you Decius already?

8. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

I'm Decius in the same way that I'm Spartacus.

9. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

It was cute, and since I don't often read forum names if they have an Avatar, I didn't understand why you invented a new name for a Great Person. I modified the quote once I figured out you were being cute ;)

Taneath - Male/Human - Sheiam -
    Make a fire for a man, you warm him for a day. Make a fire of a man, you warm him for his lifetime.

10. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Remus Hostilius - Male/Werewolf - Bannor -
    "To those fools in the Overcouncil,I'm evil,stupid and an outcast.But here,in the Undercouncil,I fit like a piece in the puzzle!"Remus Hostilius,just before his death at the hands of Auric Ascended.

11. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Well, this is interesting.
    It would appear there's been some changes to the Great People names; I haven't scanned, but I was rather startled when the game informed me "the King of Squirrels (Great Bard) has been born in a far away land!"
    Figuring the world "Squirrels" wouldn't be common in FfH, I did a search. Lo and behold, the names now appear to be stored in the CIV4GameText_FFH2.xml file. And while I've yet to scan them, there are certainly additions (seriously, King of Squirrels?!) and possibly removals.

12. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

13. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

[tab]Bards:
    Removed:
    Chiles Putney
    Tuoni the Gatekeeper
    Trenton Majosi

Aded:
    Cladius, Chorus of the Damned
    Dhaunae the Illusionist
    the King of Squirrels

[tab]Commanders:
    Removed:
    Hastur

Added:
    Haerlond Gosam

[tab]Prophets:
    Removed:
    Scion of Heaven

Added:
    Cinnia

[tab]Sages:
    Removed:
    Abdulkani

Added:
    Tya Kiri

So all of those are now non-quoted/pictured. Didn't keep an eye on the old pictures/quotes, so starting from scratch on them (most were not pictured, or were very non standard (angel, merman...)

14. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Would it be possible to transfer at least some of the removed quotes to the new great people?

I liked my Chiles Putney quote :(

15. Corlis

Corlis Chieftain

For Haerlond, considering his history, maybe this would work:

In times like these, when even the gods derelict their duty, all you can trust are your kin and your blade - and as I have discovered to my loss, sometimes you cannot even trust your kin.

16. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Such great ideas in this thread. I went ahead and check in the quotes from Taneath, Talia and Tethira (who is a Bannor general btw) into the game as tech quotes.

17. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Honestly, I intended to keep them and shuffle them onto new people, but I lost Chiles Putney and some others by accidentally saving when I didn't want to. After that so many were incredibly specific that I just ditched them all (didn't have much time then). Still don't have much time, so could I ask you to re-post anything that was good? All of them should be somewhere in this thread anyway, so I planned to go back for them eventually (like, Christmas or so).

Could you post some of the history as well? Haven't really had time to research the new names... :(

Got a love for the "T" names eh? ;)

18. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Haerlond is Varn's brother. Their father Arak the Erkling led the elven slaves in rebellion against Laroth, stole some artifacts from his palace, found the portal through which they could escape from the Netherworld into the Shadowed Vale, and stayed behind guarding the passage while his family escaped. (This reminds me a lot of Donal and the Bannor escaping hell, now that I think of it. ) As a reward for his Father's heroism, Haerlond (presumably the eldest son) was made the king of the Once-Elves of the Shadowed Vale. It isn't quite clear how the timelines lined up, but I believe that he ruled the Vale with an iron fist for almost the entire Age of Ice, and some years after that.

Later, the young (15 year old, iirc) Auric Ulvin and some children he was traveling wandered into the Shadowed Vale. About this time, The Heartstone (one of the artifacts stolen from Laroth) went missing. Haerlond chose to blame the foreigners, he arrested them, found them guilty despite scant or forged evidence, and sentenced them to death. (While in prison, Talia Gossam met with Auric and, sensing his potential, is thought to have taught him magic. I tend to think she may have actually benn involved in stealing the heartstone and the books of Laroth too.) Varn thought it was unjust to blame the foreigners so little evidence. He plead for mercy, and when Haerlond showed none he defied him, broke the children out of prison, and lead them to the boarder of the Vale to let them escape his brother's wrath. His brother found out, and in his wrath he dispatched the army to slay the children and his traitorous brother. They had just caught up with them when Auric sensed some faint mana source and channeled against the Haerlond's and his army with all his might. This mana source turned out to the The Sun, which had never shined in the Vale before. It permanently broke down the barrier of mist that separated the Vale from creation and blinded Haelond and all his forces. Van saw Lugus in this light, who rewarded him for his commitment to truth and protecting the innocent by making him his first priest. It isn't clear what happened to Haelond, but Auric, Varn, and Talia did not leave on good terms. Haerlond would probably kill his brother if he ever had the chance.

19. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

You chose the first one IIRC

20. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Slightly modified and placed on Hodkamset for now. Nearly, but not quite, fitting for Mr. Chorus of the Damned, and quite a far cry from any of the other available names, but most certainly belongs on a Bard (by some stretch could almost put it on a sage though)