1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are the Great People?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by xienwolf, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Verdian

Verdian Chieftain

This may have already been mentioned, but I have not tackled this whole thread yet.

Would it be possible/balanced to have the various adventures actually have the race and civilization promotions that fit where they are from? If not, could they at least have the appropriate graphics? It is hard to imagine a male human as a Svartalfar or goblin.

So, for example, Sidhelle would look like a Ljosalfar unit regardless of which unit she was upgraded to. But, she may or may not get dexterous and elven. I frequently do this anyway, especially with archmages (I think the Svartalfar archmage fits much nicer than the normal Grigori one, as Grigori adepts and mages are female, while archmages are not).

2. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Not sure if the Team agrees with anything that has been done in this thread for assigning Race/Gender/Native Civilization to various Great People. So I couldn't say.

The intended scope of this project is just quotes and pretty pictures that pop up along with the great person to add some flavor to the game and provide more than just a little yellow tag-line that you probably miss seeing anyway.

3. Verdian

Verdian Chieftain

I see, I see. Maybe for a mod, perhaps? Is it even possible, from a code perspective, to use graphics from another civilization like that?

4. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Its gone both ways. I dont even know the real civilization of some of the great people. they are froma variety of D&D campaigns, not all of which used the civs.

Some I do know and are "incorrect" in this thread. Quite a few great people are used in the scenarios and you will see their real civ there. In some cases though if Ive needed a great person for a scenario and I didnt know who it would be Ive come to this thread to get one. So this thread has inspired some of them. And in many cases Xienwolf just guessed correctly.

But there are a few that are so wrong that they amuse me. Not that there would have been any way to tell from the name. Taneath is abotu as un-Sheaim as they come, but I tohught it was funny that Xienwolf made him Sheaim so I kept him Sheaim when I added his tech quote. Bakibushi as a girl is also funny for me.

5. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

6. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

the King of Squirrels - Ljosalfar, male
    "Who am I? Nobody, really. Just a wanderer, seeking the tranquility of the forests. Insane? Perhaps. But I ask you, with all your trinkets and titles, are any of you really happy? What has civilization done, but told you to keep going forward, keep climbing higher, until the day you curl up and die? Civilization feeds you, you say. So be it. My body often goes hungry. But my soul is forever fed."

7. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

8. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

What is need to be done for this? Or we are waiting for Ice do be relased?

9. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Remaining people needing Quotes: (I'll probably go ahead and make the mod with some generic red X for those who are missing pictures once the quotes are done. But I would LOVE more picture ideas)

Adventurers: (0)
    DONE

Great Bards: (2)
    Cladius, Chorus of the Damned - Male/Human - Bannor - Known Facts: Performs in the Tavern known as "The Pit" under Alexandria. Channels the sound of eternal torment from the deepest recess of hell where people who commit suicide are tortured.
    Dhaunae the Illusionist

Great Commanders: (0)
    DONE

Great Engineers: (1)
    Valoel

Great Merchants: (3)
    Tya Kiri
    Joffa the Barakite
    Vohu Manah - Female/Elven - Ljosalfar -

Great Prophets: (4)
    Abellio - Male/Satyr - Ljosalfar -
    Cinnia
    Lanthis - Male/Elven - Svartalfar -
    Gosea

Great Sages: (1)
    Shoftiel - Male/Dwarven - Luchuirp -

So total is 12 more quotes required and a few here and there which could go for being improved a little bit. Plus about 40 more pictures desired.

10. kenken244

kenken244 Grammar Nazi

Cladius is in the taven pedia

11. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Nothing really quotable for him in there, but at least we can point people to the flavor they need to keep in mind. Thanks for catching it (took me a few times reading it before I thought to check if Cladius was the Chorus of the Damned).

Interesting, it appears he is Bannor. Alexandria is only mentioned in one other place, it is where Lita the Witch was tried and executed, and that was a Bannor trial in her hometown, meaning that Alexandria seems to be a significant Bannor city (but not significant enough to earn a place in the random city name cycle)

12. Skitters

Skitters Chieftain

Just wondering whether for Kered, you could use this from Shakespeares Henry V prologue;

"O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend The brightest heaven of invention!"

...which I guess could perhaps make it more of a Bannor/Clan pre-fall of Bhall quote?

13. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Actually, to me that would seem much more appropriate to be an expression of the wish that Brigit escape her prison and usurp the power from her mistress, ascending to and restoring the heaven of holy fire as a Goddess (although for now she is but a lesser divine being, a mere "Muse") and tilting the balance of power back towards Good.

14. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

Here's a new one for a faction thus far lacking in Great People

# Pistis Sophia - Female/Angel - Mercurians -

* To create...is divine.

Picture Linky

15. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Modified the Kered one to be more "commander-ish" for my tastes. Was going to check his picture to see if it seemed fitting and found that I should have been downloading and saving the pictures as I saw them instead of just linking. :(

16. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Valoel (Elohim): Atempts have been made by architects to inspire eyes heavenward. I have been tasked with drawing heaven's eyes to us.
    (Or change it if you like but he will be referenced as the builder of the Mercurian Gate at one point.)

17. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Damnit, I just came here to update all the Minor Leaders as belonging to the appropriate Civilization, saw I had a post from Nikis and expected a whole bunch of nice quotes/spoilers from the impending release ;)

"Long has the glory of the Heavens caught Man's eye. It is my humble task to see the favor returned."

18. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Updated with all of the appropriate Civilizations according to the Minor Leaders in 0.40 which are posted. A couple of quotes were modified slightly for length and appropriateness for the new Civ.

Adventurers: (0)
    DONE

Great Bards: (0)
    DONE

Great Commanders: (0)
    DONE

Great Engineers: (0)
    DONE

Great Merchants: (0)
    DONE

Great Prophets: (2)
    Cinnia
    Gosea - ???/Human - Sheaim

Great Sages: (1)
    Shoftiel - Male/Dwarven - Luchuirp -

So total is 3 more quotes required.

19. Skitters

Skitters Chieftain

Dhaunae the Illusionist

It's all smoke and mirrors int 'it
    -Last Words of Darvil the Unwise

Bit of a cheat, but after a bit of mooching around IMDB for film quotes

Joffa the Barakite [imagining it as a pre-Malakim tribe]
    The <Turks/insert appropiate civ here> pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor! Because *I* am a river to my people!

[Lawrence of Arabia]

Vohu Manah
    A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place
    [Wall Street]

Abellio - Male/Satyr - Ljosalfar -
    Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won. There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it: always.
    [Gandhi]

Lanthis
    perhaps change another Gandhi reference from
    "They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me, then they will have my dead body. NOT MY OBEDIENCE! "

to

"We will torture your body, break your bones, perhaps we'll kill your family, and toy with their rotten corpses. In time - and we can be patient - you will serve.

...or perhaps even have the Gandhi and anti Gandhi quotes as a Ljos/Svart trade off?!

20. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

Eh... well, some of our guesses as to the great people's natures were wrong. Several were very, very, very wrong.
    On the bright side, we have art for the GPs who are now also leaders, and can move the art from ingame GP/leaders to others who don't have art. I've extracted relevant quotes from XML. Pardon my heavy use of nested spoiler tags.

The Momus:
    Melisandre's quote arguably fits, although there may need to be some slight tweaking.
    Spoiler Melisandre's relevant quotes :

Spoiler dogpile rhyme :
    Dolls decorated Melisandre's bed
    "Throw them away" her parents said
    "You're too old for those anymore"
    But the dolls came across the floor
    And threw the parents out instead

Spoiler defeat text :
    When I am gone will you attach strings to my body and play with me too?

Furia... oh boy, Furia. We may have to hit the reset button on this one.
    Spoiler Furia's relevant quotes :

Spoiler dogpile rhyme :
    Furia our beautiful queen
    The most lovely I've ever seen
    But mad as... well me
    And never happy to see
    Her reflection, which makes her quite mean

Spoiler defeat text :
    I hear... a sweet voice whispering to me. It welcomes your blade, come and drink of it with me.

I see no reason to fiddle with Uldanor, from what we see of him in the Momus.
    Spoiler Uldanor's relative quotes :

Spoiler dogpile rhyme :
    Uldanor comes seeking our prize
    I don't want to spoil the surprise
    But he'll be very pleased
    With the prize if he's
    Not the one who dies

Spoiler defeat text :
    The prize would have made me as reknown as Tasuke himself, but we were to slow.

We have no quote for Tya. She's made of dark stuff. I recall Kael mentioned her in passing, although not by name. If I'm correct, she was originally to be the protagonist for Kylorin's Gift, which was to take on a far darker tone. It was dropped for being too depressing. Anyways, she's in the Momus, and... well, dark stuff.
    Spoiler Tya's relative quotes :

Spoiler dogpile rhyme :
    Candle, candle burning bright
    Tya entered the cave of the Amurites
    Together tested no one knew
    A child inside her body grew
    Now she's all alone at night

Spoiler defeat text :
    This is another test I've failed, though at least this time only my life is lost.

Nothing is directly said of Thessalonica. We're safe there.
    From what is said of Tethira, the quote need not be modified.
    Spoiler Tethira's defeat message :
    Runners have already escaped to warn the Bannor empire of their loss. But Tethira stands definatly with the last of the cities defenders within his palace. They offer satisfying screams as you lite the building on fire. Your military victory inspires your troops, increasing their experience.

I think Rivanna the Wraith Lord's name is metaphorical, not literal. Further, "Lord" is apparently a unisex title; Rivanna's female. So even if we don't use the ingame pics, we'll be needing something new for her.
    Nothing is ever said of Ostanes. The quote need not be prodded.
    Gosea, Averax, and Malchavic also get a free pass, nothing is said of them.
    If we use the ingame pics of GPs who are also minor leaders, I'd suggest moving the pic presently in Rivanna's slot to Haerlond Gosam, although anywhere else will do; we already know what Rivanna looks like, and it isn't a guy with a long ponytail.