Who are the Great People?

Great People names are defined in Assets\XML\UNits\CIV4UnitInfos.xml, in each unt's entry:
Code:
<UniqueNames>
				<UniqueName>Tuatha Dé Danann</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Aes Sidhe</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Teutates</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Belatu Cadros</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Cenn Cruaich</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Mag Tuireadh</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Nyarlat</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Aengus Saone</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Cailleach Beara</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Calwinna of Junil</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Talia Gosam</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Lita the Witch</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Abellio</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Abnoba</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Scion of Heaven</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Lanthis</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Pontif Elmin</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Fand</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Gosea</UniqueName>
				<UniqueName>Vaghan of Lugus</UniqueName>
			</UniqueNames>

(Well, in FfH they are. In vanilla/BtS, they put textkeys there and define the names in a seperate file.)

Ozziel, Balseraph Male sage
"We [Balseraphs] are not so strange as you think. We embrace a world of delusions and dreams, yes, but so do you. You simply call these delusions 'laws' and 'religions.' We are more honest, and our delusions are far more fun."

EDIT: I felt like something was missing from Ozziel's offering, so I added one last quip after "we are more honest."

:bump:
Another shot at something worth of Needles. Choose race and origin as you will; but I'd prefer not to have another Svartalfar assassin.
"Those idiots at Aeron's Bounty? Inefficient. Wasteful. Overpriced. They're cultists masquerading as assassins. They add pomp and ceremony to what is a very simple job. Me? You pay me, and tell me who you want dead. They end up dead."

And for Justin of Dalath, Bannor:
"Do you think I enjoy killing? Do you think I enjoy cutting down those begging for mercy? I do not. But I know I must, because for the followers of the Ashen Veil, giving mercy is a sign of weakness, a chance to stab you in the back when you turn away."

Both quite nice :) Changed Needles to be a Grigori since I couldn't think of much more fitting, and he is an adventurer after all. Wasn't quite a fitting quote for a Balseraph if I left it at that, seeing as a Balseraph LOVES pomp and ceremony and flair :)

Volanna - Adventurer - Svartalfar
"As I walked through the streets of Gereth Minar I noticed something. The other elves were not comforted by the fact a dark underground society worshipping a malevolent menace governed their city. They feared the constant robberies, heists, and kidnappings."
-Volanna, leader of the Vigilantes' Rebellion

Bhalira- Adventurer- Luchurip
"Some gods, like Nantosuelta and Sirona, are benevolent. Some are not. But in the end all they want is our obedience, not our well being."
-Bhalira, upon the eve of a battle against the Elohim

Volanna - Female/Elven - Svartalfar - "The Bannor always brag about how their devotion to Junil allows them to ignore pain and other irritants... but ive found that this 'gift' just allows my poison to be noticed only when it is too late for even the most proficent confessors to save them"

Currently - this Great Prophet Aes Sidhe is listed as Svartalfar. My first thought was that linked her with Esus, but that doesn't tie in with the Council of Esus which as per the pedia has no priests, high priests or temples (and from that Great Prophet). The other alternative would be a Prophet of Sucellus, perhaps as a member of the Unseelie court - but it doesn't seem right that you would have a Svart great Prophet to someone that they later turned from.

So if we go back to her being a Great Prophet of Esus - could it be that she did much to further the cause of the Council, but in doing so perhaps is punished by Esus?!

Alternatively, would it be stretching things to consider her a Great Thief - the legends of which become revered by the Svart?

Another alternative - and I confess I don't know enough background lore about the Order and Empyrean - is that perhaps at one time they were as one, but through her machinations she helped create a schism to split them, and split their power (which again would tie her back into Esus...)

Currently - this Great Prophet Aes Sidhe is listed as Svartalfar. My first thought was that linked her with Esus, but that doesn't tie in with the Council of Esus which as per the pedia has no priests, high priests or temples (and from that Great Prophet). The other alternative would be a Prophet of Sucellus, perhaps as a member of the Unseelie court - but it doesn't seem right that you would have a Svart great Prophet to someone that they later turned from.

So if we go back to her being a Great Prophet of Esus - could it be that she did much to further the cause of the Council, but in doing so perhaps is punished by Esus?!

Alternatively, would it be stretching things to consider her a Great Thief - the legends of which become revered by the Svart?

Another alternative - and I confess I don't know enough background lore about the Order and Empyrean - is that perhaps at one time they were as one, but through her machinations she helped create a schism to split them, and split their power (which again would tie her back into Esus...)

Order and Empyrean aren't nearly the same, though their aims may run together at times. Order worships Junil, and values obedience. Empyrean worships Lugus, and values wisdom and truth. Just because they're both good doesn't mean they have anything to do with each other.

While Pyr0mancter is correct in canonical FfH, I suspect that they actually may have been the same in Kael's old D&D campaigns that inspired FfH. Some parts of the Tale of Saverous refer Junil as a god of Light and Truth, and call the Order the Light of Junil.

Order and Empyrean aren't nearly the same, though their aims may run together at times. Order worships Junil, and values obedience. Empyrean worships Lugus, and values wisdom and truth. Just because they're both good doesn't mean they have anything to do with each other.

I guess the real question I should be asking is whether there is any lore relating to the rise of Order and Empyrean (and indeed other faiths). Are they all considered to have developed of their own accord seperately, or do the faiths of Erebus have common ancestor(s) in much the same way that Islam is related to Christianity and Christianity is related to Judaism?

I do not believe the Empyrean and Order have a common source. As you can read in the civilopedia,
Order 'Pedia said:
Junil, the elder of the Gods, had promised to stay apart from the conflict in Creation. No one knows why he decided to change that, some say it was to combat the influence of the Ashen Veil, others that it was jealousy.

I assume this means he didn't really have much of a religion before the Age of Rebirth, although he may have had some minor shrines and been revered along with other gods. He was very close to Bhall before her fall, so he may have already have had some devouts among the Bannor. I'm pretty sure the Order was founded by the Bannor while Sabathiel was leading them out of hell, although it may have been mostly a code of conduct than an organized religion for a generation or two. It is rather inseparable from the Bannor empire, imho.

On the other hand, the Empyrean was founded by Varn after Lugus revealed himself to him in the first sunlight to burst though the mist separating the shadowed vale from creation when the young Auric Ulvin broke down the barrier.
Lightbringer 'pedia said:
Well before the founding of any of the great polarizing religions in the Age of Rebirth Varn Gosam of the Malakim had already consolidated the multiplicity of prophets in his land into one faith, though before the Revelation of the Mirror there was no formal creed or name for this nascent religion. It would come to be called the Empyrean, and it would change and grow from the tribal faith it was in those days as it spread across Erebus. The Lightbringer was widely used in Malakim lands due to their divine scrying powers in those early days, and retained a ceremonial position well after the ecclesiastics superseded them in importance.

Well, if there is no picture nor quote for someone yet, you can feel free to change the listed race/gender/civ as you desire. Those ones which are filled in without anything else are just for me to narrow down my options when I glance at artwork, and quickly assign art to appropriate names when I find something I wasn't looking for.

Well, if there is no picture nor quote for someone yet, you can feel free to change the listed race/gender/civ as you desire. Those ones which are filled in without anything else are just for me to narrow down my options when I glance at artwork, and quickly assign art to appropriate names when I find something I wasn't looking for.

I wasn't so much attempting to dimiss the idea of a Svart GP....just trying work out a reason for it. I've submitted bits for other great people of the cuff previously, but thought it'd be nice actually try to actually delve deeper into the background for once!

It'd probably fit that she could be an Unseelie court priest to Sucellus - perhaps even being part of the machinations in declaring Succellus gone and declaring for Esus.

In fact when I think about it, it screams out that it was such a major event that there should be a Great Person(s) associated with it....the only problem being that I assume there already is a bit of fluff, and it is trying to work in another character into the grand scheme of things

Magister - I bow down to your lore finding abilities!

I noticed you don't have a Balseraph Great Merchant yet, so if no one objects how about this:
Gonael male/Baseraph

They say a fool and his wealth soon part ways. This is true, especially in my homeland, but it only tells you half the story. That fool will miss wealth so much that he is willing to believe any lie and will fall for any scam just for the chance to be reunited with it. This is where I come in.

Gonael- Steward of Inequity

For a picture for this fellow I nominate this:
http://www.justinsweet.com/GALLERY/HTMLS/151_masterbianco.html

Florina of Lorinwood :
Any decent merchants knows the price of something, but few know the value of it.
Florina of Lorinwood answer when she was asked why she didn't produce more elvish lumber.

Lord Dunsted Traver - Male/Human - Calabim - After the siege of Dunwich "They drowned healthy warriors to make zombies? I had heard the zealots were incompetant generals but... thats just wasteful"

Top Bottom