1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are you picking to Win the Superbowl? - NFL 2015-2016 Season

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sommerswerd, Jan 24, 2016.

?

Who are you picking to win the Superbowl?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2016.
  1. Denver Broncos

42.9%
  2. Carolina Panthers

57.1%
  1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

As a Broncos fan, I'm going to say Denver wins. I know it's gonna be a hard game and Carolina could win, but Denver has the #1 Defense in the League. This team has been disrespected all season long...
    - They said Peyton was done (Myself included), people even said he was never going to play another snap in the NFL...
    - They said the Broncos were going to be one and done, but they beat the Steelers.
    - They said the Patriots were going to "destroy" Denver, even with Brady having a negative record at Mile-High and again, number 1 defense...What happened? Broncos win, hitting Brady a record 20 times. Sure it wasn't pretty at the end, but a win is a win...
    -Now they're saying that the Panthers are going to "blow out" this team and that they should just hand the Vince Lombardi trophy to them right now...

The most important difference between this team and the one that got destroyed on SB 48 is the defense. I think 2 years ago, the Broncos just had a terrible day, and things would have been much closer otherwise. The defense has carried this team all season long...I think with everyone healthy, Manning throwing like he did in the first half of last game, and the receivers not dropping passes, along with a CJ Anderson spark in the running game, they have a chance. The defense will keep the game close, I think.

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I must disagree. The Broncos' D played pretty well considering the short field the
    turnovers gave to Seattle, and also that 14 points came from a pick-6 and a kickoff return.

The offense OTOH, started off with that snap into the end zone for a safety, and
    never recovered. They had a true 'burn the tape' day.

3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

To illustrate... If I flip a coin... million dollar prize... and invite you to call it... and while the coin is spinning in the air you say "I want TAILS!....But! I really think it's gonna be... HEADS!" ... Then the coin hits the ground, and we both look at it...

So who won? What did you pick? Clearly, if its heads you're gonna say "Obviously I picked heads! I mean I called it point-blank that the coin was going to turn up heads!" And if it's tails you're gonna say "Obviously I picked tails! I clearly said tails was what I wanted!" And I'm gonna say "Nope you didn't pick anything, and you don't get to celebrate regardless of how the coin turns up, because you didn't actually commit."

Saying "I Want" is picking. Saying "I Think" is also picking. Saying both is trying to pick both. You can't pick both. What is really going on with the "I WANT but I THINK" thing is people are just terrified of being wrong. They don't want anyone to be able to say they were wrong or that they "lost."

Say "I want/think Team X..." Period. Full stop. Then explain why if you like (without hedging). OR say... "I want/think Team Y..." Period. Full stop. Then explain why if you like (without hedging). Don't say both, because then you're not saying anything. It's OK to be wrong sometimes... you'll survive, trust me. Take a risk, it will be fun.
    Now what your talking about is how you felt, which is different from what you say. You are a Saints fan so you "pick" the Saints automatically, obviously... What you describe, simply is the natural feeling as a fan of a team, that "I want my team to win but I don't want to jinx it or get my hopes too high, only to have them crushed." Incidentally, in SB 44 I picked the Colts. (I actually picked them to go all the way and win the SB during the preseason). Sure I heard all the "team of destiny", Katrina recovery etc talk, but I never hedged. I never told people "I want Indy but I think NO will win". I just said "I got Indy" and accepted the loss, without any "Oh I knew that was gonna happen!" equivocation.

4. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Nah. The OL is not stacked by any means. Without Benjamin the WR is one of the weaker ones in the league. Cam mask alot of problems on O.

The defense is not stacked/loaded especially at CB/S. Norman is top-notch but the others are not. The front 7 are tuff for sure.

They can be beaten.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The OL is, frankly, a bunch of cast offs. However, to say they "aren't stacked" is counter to the reality that as a unit their performance has been at the top of the league. Part of that is playcalling, because they are built to block for a running game first and the Panthers are the exception team that is run first.

The WR corps is also not made up of big name heroes, but they are right for this team. On a run first team they get a lot more single coverage than most, and they are capable of taking advantage of it...and Ted Ginn Jr, when he makes a catch against single coverage, is deadly in the open field.

On defense, they definitely benefit from having the top scoring offense force their opponents into playing high risk. But again, there is that excellent fit making the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Obviously they can be beaten, since they were, but they are a seriously loaded opponent without obvious weaknesses. It will be interesting to see what Wade Phillips comes up with.

6. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

So for once do you agree with me or do you not? :crazyeye:

Nobody said they didn't play well together as a team.

I watched every game they played, and followed them thru the preseason.
    I do the same with the Dolphins and Chargers but your additional knowledge is more than welcomed. ;)

7. vivalamexico

vivalamexico Prince

Problem is he catches about 1 of 5 thrown to him

8. Sommerswerd

That's textbook Kick Returner skillset.:)
    Which is why he's not on the 49ers anymore. They were trying to convert to a pass-first offense :shake: ... and failed miserably.

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I'd say I agreed, in an amplification sort of way...

But why in the world do you watch the Chargers?

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

That's okay. He takes the top off the defense, which supports the run game, and keeps anyone from even considering doubling the possession receivers. Then the one in five big play payoff when they have a free down to throw it at him makes it all work.

11. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I haven't seen much of him since Miami got rid of him. Still has the alligator arms, eh?

12. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Dolphin fan since 1970... I had Dolphin footy pajamas :D .

Chargers (daughter's favorite team for 20+ years) and saw P.Rivers play a couple times in college. Also I play in a GM League and am Co-GM for the Chargers.

Panthers- home team, been to a couple of games, Cam wins our Fantasy League 2 yrs in a row for me, I have a man-crush on Luke K., etc :blush:

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Clear difference between raising daughters and raising sons. I had a son who flirted with being a Chargers fan, but I let (helped) his brothers mock him out of it.

14. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Interesting.... What age was he at when this took place? I'm guessing he was really young, 'cause I still remember being rather obstinate and doing the exact opposite of what I was pushed towards during puberty... If it'd been me, mocking would've probably pushed me towards the Chargers.... :lol:

15. Sommerswerd

My baby sister chose the Patriots "because they're Pink" (in Tecmo Superbowl) when she was around 6 years old. We mocked her relentlessly about how bad they were, and she never budged... She's been having the last laugh (Her other brother and I are Browns and 49ers fans, respectively :yuck:)

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Mock briefly, then let the obstinate wear off...and at the end of the day we were talking about the Chargers so he wasn't all that committed. Eventually he became a non conformist Raider fan like everybody else. ;)

17. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Haha, my daughter called me into her room when she was young while she was playing NHL on her gamestation...
    She was playing using the Avalanche since P.Forsberg was her favorite player.

She said 'daddy, who is the goalie named Pulled... he sucks' :lol:

We still laugh about that almost 20 years later :D .

18. Antilogic

Antilogic --

When I was younger, I was sorta a Cowboys fan because they were at the top of their game then and I liked the star logo for some reason. Also the old Browns, they were my dad's favorite team and that rubbed off on me a bit, although I usually called them the Clownfish because of the color scheme. Then I stopped watching football or playing football video games for about 15 to 20 years.

When I started watching again because I wanted to have something to talk about with my coworkers, there were plenty of funny moments. Like when I asked how the Oilers were doing and they all just stared.

19. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

The team that scores the most points will win. :p

Considering Carolina have been the best team all season long they are odds on to win it all.

20. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

The 'Key to the Game' that always seems to get ignored in the pre game shows...