Who Are You Picking To Win The Superbowl? - Superbowl 57

Who Are You Picking To Win The Superbowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sommerswerd

Shades of the Sun
Supporter

You only get to pick ONE (1) Team! :yup:

No saying lame things to try and pick both teams so you can claim "See I was right!" or "We won!" or "I'm happy with the result" regardless of who wins... that's lame :thumbsdown:... By all means explain/defend your pick but don't hedge, because that's lame:thumbsdown:

Lame things people say for the Super Bowl (to try to justify picking both teams)
:

1. I WANT Team X to win but I THINK Team Y will win = Lame :thumbsdown:

2. I HAVE TO cheer for Team X (because my cousin, best friend etc is affiliated, or I have some other "connection" to the team) but I also WANT TO see Team Y win because (I'm from the town, or near it or have some other "connection" to the team) = Lame :thumbsdown:

3. I THINK Team X is the better team and SHOULD win but I'm PULLING FOR Team Y (because "I think XYZ player is a really good person" or "I hate so and so" or "Player XYZ is my favourite at so-and-so position" or some other reason/connection (see #1 and #2) = Lame :thumbsdown:

4. I'm not a fan of either team so I don't care who wins... but if I have to pick I'd say (see #1,2 or 3) = Lame :rolleyes:

Just pick ONE team

Eagles. Chiefs have no chance whatsoever. The most lopsided super bowl since 48.

The uniforms and colors are kind of a draw, although the Eagles have the better logo.

Cuisine isn't really a strength for either city. They each have their signature food, and Kansas City barbecue beats Philly cheesesteaks & hoagies, which I thought were a little overrated. And I've never been to KC, so it's likely I haven't even had authentic KC bbq.

Hollywood: Don Cheadle, Chris Cooper, Ed Asner, Dennis Hopper and director Robert Altman are/were from Kansas City, which I didn't know. From Philadelphia, we have Will Smith, Richard Gere, Kevin Bacon, and director Sidney Lumet. Kind of a draw, so far. Philly has a deeper bench here, though: Kevin Hart. Kat Dennings. Bradley Cooper. Robert Picardo from Voyager. Kim Delaney from NYPD Blue. Seth Green from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Molly Ephraim, who was almost too adorable as Maybelle in last year's A League of Their Own. I give this one to Philly, but it's not a wipeout.

Music is where the two cities really hit each other hard: Kansas City was a hub of jazz from the '20s-'40s. The Count Basie Orchestra was from Kansas City, and I think that's where bebop started. (Charlie Parker was originally from Kansas City, but I think he didn't really break out until he went to New York. If KC wants to claim him, I won't argue, I just don't know if they do.) If I had a time machine, Kansas City in the '30s might be on my itinerary. It might still be a good place for jazz today, for all I know. But Philly was more important in the '80s, and nearer & dearer to my heart. Hall & Oates; Patti LaBelle; Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince; Sister Sledge. To name but a few. Philly also has a wider spread of things to choose from. I mean, really, pick your American music era and Philadelphia is right in the middle of it. Billie Holiday. Chubby Checker. Stan Getz. The Roots. Pink. The Dead Milkmen, if you're into punk. Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell and Fabian were all from the same Philly neighborhood (Lower Moyamensing, about which I know nothing, but I'm just gonna go ahead and guess it's got a lot of Italians? :lol: ) Joan Jett and Taylor Swift are originally from Philadelphia(-ish), but they didn't break out until they went to L.A. and Nashville, respectively, when they were still teenagers, so I don't know if Philadelphians claim them or not. I don't think she was ever huge, but there was a singer named Res I was into about 20 years ago, who's from Philly. I haven't kept up with her, but I do still listen to her album from back then, once in a while.

So I'm going with Philadelphia, mainly on the strength of the music.

Eagle defense should be able to keep Mahones and company in check, and the Philly offense is methodical, giving the Chiefs' offense fewer possessions.

Prediction: Eagles 28, Chiefs 24.

Really, as long we see an exciting, clean, competitive game, with no serious injuries, aren't we all the winners, Sommer?

Last edited:
See, I was right. We had an exciting, clean, competitive game with no serious injuries. So we're all winners.

Except for you, Sommer. You picked the Eagles.

Boy did I get they wrong.

Top Bottom