Who Can Build the Best Army ?

BkGreatWarnut

aka "Brian the Great"
First off, this will be for C3C v1.22

After a slew of PBEMs screeching to a hault I've concluded that very few PBEMs of more than 4 people move efficiently, so, I am looking to set-up SEVERAL unique 1 vs. 1 game, or series of games.

This idea also stems from the college history class that I am currently in. Right now we are discussing the Fall of France to Nazi Germany and how much was based on tactics, weaponry, diplomacy, etc. The tactics and weapons aspect has caused me to think of a different idea to implement into Civ3. After some thinking, I began to wonder what it would be like for two players to face off against each other…each with their own unique units. That’s right, I want to give to people the chance to make a completely modified industrial age army and then go head to head against each other to test both the ability of their units as well as their modern warfare skills.

Each player will begin the game with:
All techs up to Atomic Theory. This means you only have to research Combustion, Replaceable Parts, Flight, Amphibious Warfare, Mass Production, Electronics, Motorized Transportation and Advanced Flight.
16 Rifleman (7.7.1, 0 range bombardment of 3 with a rate of fire of 1)
11 Workers (Worker Strength of 200 and 2 Movement Points).
6 Cannons (Moves:1, Bombard Strength: 10, Range: 1, Rate of Fire: 1).
4 Cavalry 1 and 4 Cavalry 2.
4 Frigates, 4 Ironclads, and 2 Galleons (Frigates and Ironclads do not upgrade!).

Unit Upgrade Paths: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=2664755#post2664755
Unit Availability: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=2664756#post2664756

NOTE:
TEMPLES (Infantry Recruiting Center) produce RIFLEMAN every 6 TURNS.
COLUSSEUMS (Cavalry Recruiting Center) produce Cavalry 1 every 8 TURNS.
CATHEDRALS (Elite Cav Recruiting Center) produce Cavalry 2 every 9 TURNS.
(If one of the Cavalry shield cost is higher, than it is considered Cavalry 2!)
NAVAL ACADEMY will produce one BATTLESHIP every 12 TURNS (Available with combustion).

One notice concerning the modifying of your units, for the Attack and Defense Bonus the additional bonus points can be added to either attack or defense in any amount. For example, Infantry is: Attack and Defense Bonus: 4 Additional Attack or Defense Points; 1 Mod Point. This means you could add 0 points to attack and 4 to defense, or 1 to attack and 3 to defense, or 2 to attack and 2 to defense, etc. Go ahead and add these points to the combined set limit for a particular units attack and defense. So, for any unit they should have the attack and defense as well as listed modifications.

ALL UNITS RECEIVE TWO FREE MODS. Additional modifications can be added, but they will result in the shields required to produce the unit to increase by 50% of the base shields cost. Example: Infantry with 2 Mods is 80 Shields, Inf with 3 Mods is 120 shields, Inf with 4 Mods is 160 shields, etc.

Examples of what is expected on the entry form:
-Infantry 1: Attack: 10, Defense: 10, Modifications (2): Attack and Defense, Hit Point.
-Infantry 2: Attack: 15, Defense: 9, Modifications (2): Attack and Defense x 2.

If you are interested in a game or have any questions just post in the thread or e-mail me at bmklee at svsu dot edu.

Strategic 1 vs. 1 Map:

Attachments

• Strategic 1 vs. 1.GIF
    Strategic 1 vs. 1.GIF
    206.2 KB · Views: 182
ARMY

CAVALRY: 70 Shields, Attack/Defense: 12, Moves: 2, Bombardment: 3, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1.

RIFLEMEN: 70 Shields, Attack: 7, Defense: 7, Moves: 1, Bombardment: 3, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1,

INFANTRY: 80 Shields, Attack/Defense: 16, Moves: 1, Bombardment: 4, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1, Worker Strength of 100.

MECH INFANTRY: 100 Shields, Attack/Defense: 28, Moves: 2, Bombardment: 7, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1, Worker Strength of 125.

TOW INFANTRY: 110 Shields, Attack/Defense: 32, Moves: 1, Bombardment: 8, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1, Worker Strength of 150.

ARMOR: 120 Shields, Attack/Defense: 24, Moves: 2, Bombardment: 6, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1.

MODERN ARMOR: 130 Shields, Attack/Defense: 40, Moves: 3, Bombardment: 10, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1.

MARINES: 100 Shields, Attack/Defense: 20, Moves: 1, Bombardment: 5, Range: 0, Rate of Fire: 1.

Movement Bonus: Movement increased by one point; 1 Mod Point
Attack and Defense Bonus: Attack/Defense is increased by 25%; 1 Mod Point
Hit Point Bonus: One Additional Hit Point is Added; 1 Mod Point
Bombard Strength Bonus: Bombardment is increased by 50%; 1 Mod Point
Rate of Fire Bonus: Rate of fire is increased by one; 1 Mod Point

PARATROOPERS: 90 Shields, Attack/Defense: 16, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 6, Bombardment: 4, Range: 0, RF: 1.

MODERN PARATROOPERS: 110 Shields, Attack/Defense: 24, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 8, Bombardment: 6, Range: 0, RF: 1.

Operational Range Bonus: Operational Range is increased by 50%; 1 Mod Point

ARTILLERY: 100 Shields, Moves: 1, Bombardment: 12, Range: 1, Rate of Fire: 2.

RADAR ARTILLERY: 120 Shields, Moves: 2, Bombardment: 16, Range: 2, Rate of Fire: 3.

Range Bonus: Bombardment range is increased by one; 1 Mod Point
Anti-Air Bonus: Additional anti-air defense of 1; 1 Mod Point

FLAK: 70 Shields, Attack/Defense: 6, Moves: 1, Anti-Air Defense: 1.

MOBILE SAM: 100 Shields, Attack/Defense: 12, Moves: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 2.

Anti-Air Bonus: Anti-Air Defense increased by 100%; 2 Mod Points

CRUISE MISSILE: 40 Shields, Moves: 1, Bombardment: 14, Range: 3, Rate of Fire: 3.

NAVY

GALLEON: 70 Shields, Transport Capacity: 4 Units, Attack: 1, Defense: 2, Moves: 6.

TRANSPORT: 100 Shields, Transport Capacity: 6 Units, Attack/ Defense: 6, Moves: 7, Bombardment: 2, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0.

CARRIER: 180 Shields, Capacity: 4 Planes, Attack/Defense: 8, Moves: 7, Bombardment: 6, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 1.

Transport Bonus: Capacity increased by 50%; 1 Mod Point

FRIGATE: 80 Shields, Attack: 4, Defense: 3, Moves: 6, Bombardment: 4, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0.

IRONCLAD: 100 Shields, Attack: 5, Defense: 6, Moves: 4, Bombardment: 6, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0.

DESTROYER: 120 Shields, Attack/Defense: 20, Moves: 8, Bombardment: 8, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 1. *Detects Invisible.

BATTLESHIP: 200 Shields, Attack/Defense: 32, Moves: 6, Bombardment: 12, Range: 2, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 2.

CRUISER: 160 Shields, Attack/Defense: 24, Moves: 7, Bombardment: 10, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 1.

AEGIS CRUISER: 180 Shields, Attack/Defense: 28, Moves: 8, Bombardment: 8, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 3, Anti-Air Defense: 2. *Detects Invisible & Has Radar.

SUBMARINE: 100 Shields, Attack/ Defense: 16; Moves: 4, Bombardment: 4, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0.

NUCLEAR SUBMARINE: 140 Shields, Transport Capacity: 1 Tactical Missile, Attack/ Defense: 24, Moves: 5, Bombardment: 6, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0. *Detects Invisible.

Transport Bonus: Capacity increased by one; 1 Mod Point (Only for the Nuclear Submarine)

AIR FORCE

FIGHTER: 100 Shields, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 4, Attack/ Defense: 8, Bombard Strength: 6, Rate of fire: 1. *Lethal sea bombardment.

FIGHTER BOMBER: 110 Shields, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 6, Attack/ Defense: 6, Bombard Strength: 9, Rate of fire: 2. *Lethal sea bombardment.

JET FIGHTER: 125 Shields, Moves: 2, Operational Range: 8, Attack/ Defense: 10, Bombard Strength: 12, Rate of fire: 2. *Lethal sea and land bombardment.

BOMBER: 120 Shields, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 8, Attack/ Defense: 4, Bombard Strength: 12, Rate of fire: 3. *Lethal sea and land bombardment.

HEAVY BOMBER: 130 Shields, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 12, Attack/ Defense: 6, Bombard Strength: 18, Rate of fire: 3. *Lethal sea and land bombardment.

STEALTH FIGHTER: 140 Shields, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 8, Attack/ Defense: 8, Bombard Strength: 10, Rate of fire: 3. *Lethal sea and land bombardment.

STEALTH BOMBER: 150 shields, Moves: 1, Operational Range: 10, Attack/ Defense: 4, Bombard Strength: 12, Rate of fire: 4. *Lethal sea and land bombardment.

Movement Bonus: 1 Extra Move; 1 Mod Point
Operational Range Bonus: Operational Range Increased by 50%; 1 Mod Point
Attack and Defense Bonus: Attack/Defense increased by 50%; 1 Mod Point
Hit Point Bonus: 1 Extra Hit Point; 1 Mod Point
Bombard Strength Bonus: Bombard Strength increased by 1/3; 1 Mod Point
Rate of Fire Bonus: Rate of Fire increased by 1; 1 Mod Point
Lethal Land Bombardment; 1 Mod Point (It is only an add-on for fighters and fighter bombers!)

HELICOPTER: 110 Shields, Moves: 1, Transport Capacity of 3, Operational Range: 4, Attack: 1-3, Defense: 1-3; Combined total of attack and defense cannot exceed 4. Bombard Strength: 4, Rate of fire: 2.

Movement Bonus: 1 Extra Move; 1 Mod Point
Operational Range Bonus: Operational Range Increased by 2; 1 Mod Point
Attack and Defense Bonus: 1 Additional Attack or Defense Points; 1 Mod Point
Bombard Strength Bonus: 1 Additional Bombard Strength Points; 1 Mod Point
Rate of Fire Bonus: Rate of Fire increased by 1; 1 Mod Point
Hit Point Bonus: 1 Extra Hit Point; 1 Mod Point

I have also decided that you may have one Unique Unit for either the Industrial Age. You can choose any unit and give it three mods and add it as an additional unit at the bottom of your entry form...

The unit cost will also be increased by 25%...

That is great! Dazz, you were actually one of the two players that I was hoping to get! And knowing that Portuga has quite a bit of of PBEM Modern Warfare is great too! To reliable players with considerable PBEM Modern Warfare experience. I guess if you guys have any further questions, please post them here in the thread. If not, go ahead and start to design your armies and type out the "entry form" either in a word document pasted to an e-mail or attached to an e-mail and send it to me. The purpose of the e-mail is so that your opponent doesn't know the capabilities/strengths of your units until he first meets them on the battlefield. And again, if you have any questions, just let me know...

Here are some silly questions: :)
-The marines have amphibious attacks, right?
-what's the anti air defense value of the flak?
-Whats the difference between the cruiser and the super cruiser? The only difference I noticed was the cost. (EDIT: answer - it has 3 modifications instead of 2)

BK, since you said a series of games, I would be very interested once things stablilize for me and I can be dependable, I will get back to you when that happens, in the maentime I will think about my modding choices.

Also, do you have any idea what is happening with BK RAR1 & CSM? I was MIA for at least 3 weeks and during that time neither of those turns were sent to me. Were you able to find replacements, if so that is fine, or are those games lost / dead?

portuga said:
Here are some silly questions: :)
-The marines have amphibious attacks, right?
-what's the anti air defense value of the flak?
-Whats the difference between the cruiser and the super cruiser? The only difference I noticed was the cost.

@ Portuga:
Marines have amphibious attack...if I didn't add it, or have it as a mod it is a typo.

The starting anti-air defense for flak is 1.

Difference between Cruiser and Super Cruiser is that you get two mods for the Cruiser and three for the Super Cruiser.

And, I will post a modified and less complex entry form in the near future (when I get caught up on homework).

@ Predesad:
Sure, I have been testing some of this idea out...something the AI can't balance, but I have made plans to cut down on units some...not for Portuga versus Dazz, but maybe for the next one meaning it could be a four person game. Only thing is we would all know each others units. Perhaps if that was the case then you would be allowed to post and edit your army's stats until a certain time when they would be set in stone. It would be like, a country hearing about another country's military capabilities and adjusting as they see fit until they unfortunately have to test their design decisions out.

We'll just have to see how things go...and how your situation pans out...

As far as RAR 1...probably dead and CSM1 is probably just as dead as Detlef has completely disappeared lately...

Does anyone knows how the attack/defense values work for air units?
In an interception, which value does the fighter use, and which does the bomber use?

An official entry form based on revised units:

Civ Leaderhead (Basically what Civ and Civ leader do you like the most):
Civilization Bonuses (Both sides are Militaristic. Please choose two others.):

-CUSTOMIZED ARMY:
Cavalry 1:
Cavalry 2:
Infantry 1:
Infantry 2:
Mechanized Infantry:
TOW Infantry:
Armor:
Modern Armor:
Marines:
Paratroopers:
Modern Paratroopers:
Artillery 1:
Artillery 2:
Radar Artillery:
Flak:
Mobile Sam:
Cruise Missile:

-CUSTOMIZED NAVY:
Transport:
Carrier:
Destroyer:
Battleship:
Cruiser:
Aegis Cruiser:
Submarine:
Nuclear Submarine:

-CUSTOMIZED AIR FORCE
Fighter:
Fighter Bomber:
Bomber:
Stealth Fighter:
Stealth Bomber:
Jet Fighter:
Heavy Bomber:

-ARMY:
Rifleman upgrade to Infantry 1 which upgrade to TOW Infantry.
Cavalry 1 upgrades to Armor which upgrades to Modern Armor.
Cavalry 2 upgrades to Infantry 2 which upgrades to Mechanized Infantry.
Paratroopers upgrade to Modern Paratroopers.
Artillery 2 upgrades to Radar Artillery.
Flak upgrades to Mobile Sam.
Artillery 1, Marines, Cruise Missiles all do not upgrade!

-NAVY:
Galleon upgrades to Transport.
Cruiser upgrades to Aegis Cruiser.
Submarine upgrades to Nuclear Submarine.
Frigate, Ironclad, Carrier, Destroyer, Battleship do not upgrade!

-AIR FORCE
Fighter and Fighter Bomber upgrade to Jet Fighter.
Bomber upgrades to Heavy Bomber.
Stealth Fighter and Stealth Bomber do not upgrade!

-Industrial Age:
Combustion: Transport, Destroyer, Cruiser.
Replaceable Parts: Infantry 1, Infantry 2, Artillery 1, Artillery 2.
Flight: Flak, Fighter, Fighter Bomber, Bomber.
Amphibious War: Marines.
Mass Production: Carriers, Battleships, Submarines.
Motorized Transportation: Armor.
Advanced Flight: Paratroopers, Helicopters.

-Modern Age:
Rocketry: TOW Infantry, Mobile Sam, Cruise Missile, Jet Fighter, Heavy Bomber
Fission: Nuclear Submarine
Computers: Mechanized Infantry
Space Flight: Tactical Nuke
Synthetic Fibers: Modern Armor, Modern Paratrooper
Satellites: ICBM
Stealth: Stealth Fighter, Stealth Bomber
Robotics: Radar Artillery, Aegis Cruiser

can i play?

Here is my entry form. I will take on whoever post a second entry form in a beta of the game.

Civ Leaderhead: Alexander the Great, Greece.
Civ Traits: Scientific, Seafaring and the default, Militaristic.

-CUSTOMIZED ARMY
Cavalry 1: Attack: 10, Defense: 5, Moves 3. 2 Mods: +25% AD, + 1 Movement Point.
Cavalry 2: Attack: 10, Defense: 8, Moves 2. 2 Mods: +25% AD x 2.
Infantry 1: Attack: 5, Defense: 15, Moves 1. 2 Mods: +25% AD, + 1 Hit Point
Infantry 2: Attack: 11, Defense: 9, Moves 2. 2 Mods: +25% AD, + 1 Movement Point.
Mechanized Infantry: Attack: 23, Defense: 19, Moves: 2. 2 Mods: + 25% AD x 2.
TOW Infantry: Attack: 12, Defense: 28, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: +25% AD, +1 Hit Point.
Armor: Attack: 20, Defense: 10, Moves: 3. 2 Mods: +25% AD, + 1 Movement Point.
Modern Armor: Attack: Attack: 30, Defense: 20, Moves: 3. Mods: +25% AD, +1 Hit Point.
Marines: Attack: 19, Defense: 11, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: + 25% AD x 2.
Paratroopers: Attack: 13, Defense: 11, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: + 25% AD x 2.
Modern Paratroopers: Attack: 16, Defense: 15, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: +25% AD, + 1 Hit Point.
Artillery 1: Bombardment: 18, Range: 2, RF: 2, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: +50% Bombardment, + 1 Range.
Artillery 2: Bombardment: 12, Range: 1, RF: 3, Moves: 2. 2 Mods: + 1 Rate of fire, +1 Movement Point.
Radar Artillery: Bombardment: 12, Range: 2, RF: 5, Moves: 2. 2 Mods: + 1 Rate of fire x 2.
Flak: Attack: 1, Defense: 5, Moves: 2, Anti-Air Def: 1. 2 Mods: 100% Increase of Anti-Air.
Mobile Sam: Attack: 1, Defense: 11, Moves: 2, Anti-Air Def: 4. 2 Mods: 50% Increase of Anti-Air.
Cruise Missile: Bombardment: 24, Range: 4, RF: 3, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: 50% Bombardment, + 1 Range.

-CUSTOMIZED NAVY
Transport: Transport Capacity: 9 Units, Attack:1 Defense: 5, Moves: 8, Bombardment: 2, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0. 2 Mods: +50% Unit Capacity, + 1 Movement Point.
Carrier: Capacity: 4 Planes, Attack/Defense: 8, Moves: 7, Bombardment: 6, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 1. 2 Mods: +25% Attack/Defense x 2.
Destroyer: Attack: 18, Defense: 12, Moves: 8, Bombardment: 8, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 1. 2 Mods: + 25% Attack/Defense x 2.
Battleship: Attack: 23, Defense: 17, Moves: 6, Bombardment: 18, Range: 2, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 2. 2 Mods: + 25% Attack/Defense, + 50% Bombardment.
Cruiser: Attack:17, Defense: 13, Moves: 7, Bombardment: 10, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 1. 2 Mods: + 25% Attack/Defense, + 1 Hit Point.
Aegis Cruiser: Attack: 18, Defense: 17, Moves: 8, Bombardment: 12, Range: 1, Rate of fire: 3, Anti-Air Defense: 2. 2 Mods, + 25% Attack/Defense, + 50% Bombardment.
Submarine: Attack: 17, Defense: 7; Moves: 4, Bombardment: 4, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0. 2 Mods: + 25% Attack/Defense x 2.
Nuclear Submarine: Transport Capacity: 1 Tactical Missile, Attack: 17, Defense: 13, Moves: 5, Bombardment: 6, Range: 0, Rate of fire: 2, Anti-Air Defense: 0. 2 Mods: + 25% Attack/Defense, +1 Hit Point.

-CUSTOMIZED AIR FORCE
Fighter: Moves: 2, Operational Range: 4, Attack: 7, Defense: 5, Bombard Strength: 6, Rate of fire: 1. 2 Mods: +1 Movement, + 50% Attack/Defense.
Fighter Bomber: Moves: 1, Operational Range: 6, Attack: 4, Defense: 5, Bombard Strength: 9, Rate of fire: 2. 2 Mods: +1 Movement, + 50% Attack/Defense.
Bomber: Moves: 1, Operational Range: 8, Attack: 0, Defense: 6, Bombard Strength: 16, Rate of fire: 3. 2 Mods: + 50% Attack/Defense, + 1/3 Bombardment.
Stealth Fighter: Moves: 1, Operational Range: 8, Attack: 0, Defense: 6, Bombard Strength: 10, Rate of fire: 5. 2 Mods: + 1 Rate of Fire x 2.
Stealth Bomber: Moves: 1, Operational Range: 10, Attack: 0, Defense: 4, Bombard Strength: 20, Rate of fire: 4. 2 Mods: +1/3 Bombardment x 2.
Jet Fighter: Moves: 2, Operational Range: 8, Attack: 12, Defense: 8, Bombard Strength: 12, Rate of fire: 2, +50% Attack/Defense x 2.
Heavy Bomber: Moves: 1, Operational Range: 12, Attack: 0 Defense: 9, Bombard Strength: 24, Rate of fire: 3. 2 Mods: + 50% Attack/Defense, + 50% Bombardment.
Helicopter: 110 Shields, Moves: 1, Transport Capacity of 3, Operational Range: 8, Attack: 0, Defense: 6, Bombard Strength: 4, Rate of fire: 2. 2 Mods: +50% Attack/Defense, +50% Op Range.

UNIQUE UNITS:
IA: Greco Marines (Marines): 125 Shields, Attack: 22, Defense: 13, Moves: 1. 3 Mods: + 25% AD x 3.
MA: Spedefs (TOW Infantry): Attack: 14, Defense: 34, Moves: 1. 2 Mods: +25% AD x 2, +1 Hit Point.

I have some questions about the way you choose the air defense of your flak and mobile sam. How did you calculated the values?
With the mods you have choosen you should have a air defense of 2 for the flak and 4 for the sam.
Was it a calculation mistake? or am I misundersanting the mods?

portuga said:
I have some questions about the way you choose the air defense of your flak and mobile sam. How did you calculated the values?
With the mods you have choosen you should have a air defense of 2 for the flak and 4 for the sam.
Was it a calculation mistake? or am I misundersanting the mods?

I made a mistake when figuring the rules for flak and SAM... Flak is at one so at most it could be increased to 3... You can't actually do 50% of 1, because only integers can be entered for AA and other unit specs...

I guess go with just one mod for Flak and SAM of either doubling AA, adding movement, the defense/attack increase, or an extra hit point...of course then, probably everyone would just go with doubling AA... I don't want to let the SAM go past 4 though, because Flak itself is already quite strong at 2 as it is in regular civ. I guess I could also do that Flak base production cost is 40 shields. For every additional mod you have to add 25% shields cost. SAM base would be 60 shields and each additional mod would be 25% shield cost... That could result in some really unique flak/sam units... As well as force you to balance between effectiveness/strength and how many units you can produce because of too high/low shield cost...

What do you think?

Top Bottom