Who do you play as?

bcaiko

Emperor
A quick question (at least for most of us): Who do you find yourself playing as most?

For me, it's Hojo Tokimune of Japan. Really, they just need to say "JAPAN" and I'll jerry rig my playstyle to be on board. I wish Hojo's district discounts were on more districts that matter, and I find the Meiji Restoration ability to be maddeningly difficult to optimally take advantage of at times. Still, I have fun playing as him. And damn is the Samurai a strong unit for its age.

Cleopatra, I like the early game choices Egypt presents the player, and the challenge in trying to optimally take advantage of any given start location. Some of the other civs usually have some kind of focus they aim for despite the circumstances the terrain places them in, but Cleo is all about embracing your circumstances, adapting, and finding ways to flourish under any condition. She has a "grab-bag" style much like The Celts and Indonesia in Civ5, where you really need to pick and choose which bonuses you really want to run with.

Huang is good for this too, though he sacrifices potential for consistency and his methods are much more straight forward and boring, replacing refined elegance with brutish straight forward simplicity you would expect from such an ugly and annoying leader. Also he's a wonder stealing jerk so screw him and his ugly puke green empire built by free rides on shattered dreams.

Last edited:
this is the first civ game I've played where I have enjoyed playing multiple leaders. I'm currently playing as Australia, and they make a strong case to be the civ I really try to make my own. It's just been a fun ride

ciV I played almost exclusively as Venice or pop and.

cIV I played Rome

civ 3 I cant remember. But off hand I think that's before civ specific bonuses

I never go random, but try not to stick with the same couple leaders over and over.

I'm not a big fan of religous victory/conditions (mostly because I don't really understand it or how to approach that victory route, and hate moving 50 apostles all over each turn!) so I don't tend to play the Arabia/Norway type civs. If I had to choose a couple favorites, it would be Germany (OP, I know, but I really enjoy designing my civ setup to maximize those sweet, sweet Hansa overlaps of doom), Kongo (love the mbasas improvements for super tall cities, and benefiting from a Religion without the hassle of actually worrying about one myself) or Brazil (culture/amenities galore!)

At the moment I find myself playing a lot of Australia recently, gotta build that big outback station megalopolis

I choose some that get a bad rap and try to make it work. Right now that's Spain and Conquistadors with Crusade is some pretty good stuff.

I've been playing almost exclusively as Rome, but I would like to try someone different. The OP civs like Scythia and Sumeria don't really do it for me. Arabia seems like they could be fun, but if you actually wait to let the Last Prophet kick in I find my religion gets smothered in the crib by AI missionary/apostle spam.

Since a main goal is exploration and settling all over the map for lux/resource, I prefer Vicky and (modded) Harald. Since I got the Siam/Ram mod, I play that more than anything.

I never go random, but try not to stick with the same couple leaders over and over.

I'm not a big fan of religous victory/conditions (mostly because I don't really understand it or how to approach that victory route, and hate moving 50 apostles all over each turn!) so I don't tend to play the Arabia/Norway type civs. If I had to choose a couple favorites, it would be Germany (OP, I know, but I really enjoy designing my civ setup to maximize those sweet, sweet Hansa overlaps of doom), Kongo (love the mbasas improvements for super tall cities, and benefiting from a Religion without the hassle of actually worrying about one myself) or Brazil (culture/amenities galore!)
Just so you know, Arabia isn't a RV civ. It's a Domination/Science civ

I'm following the order in which leaders go on the selection screen. Still haven't gone a full circle, so I've never played as anyone twice yet (I play huge maps on marathon speed, so my games have almost real-time speed) :D

I've played almost all of them, I only have Alexander left untried. I quite liked Fred, Harald and Victoria. I think my favourite would probably be Pericles though.

Russia for me. The land grab is a solid bonus. But I also like the Tundra start. With their bonus you have a solid shot with religion, and the icy plains are a good spawning ground for barbs which means you always have free exp for your recruits and a nice gold bonus.

Usually random. If I choose I pick Saladin or Harald, because those two seem to be the most fun to me and play different enough from the rest.

Usually random, I will reroll if I get a civ I've already played a lot, especially if it's Spain. When I win with everyone I'll try some of the DLCs.

I play quite a few different civs, but lately some of my "go-to" ones are:

USA, Roosevelt - historically speaking, I just like the guy.
Australia, Curtin - I think the community is almost unified in liking this civ. I haven't played it since the slight nerf, but I reckon it would be more enjoyable now.
England, Victoria - as a Brit, why wouldn't I want to stomp the world with Redcoats?
Rome, Trajan, Makedonia, Alexander and Greece, Pericles - again, I like the history of these guys.

That's a lot I guess, but there's lots I like :)

Top Bottom