1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you play as?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bcaiko, Apr 25, 2017.

1. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I like China's green.

Play as, in order of frequency I guess:

Russia (big lead)
    France
    Egypt
    Germany
    China
    England

Currently have marathons as well for Norway and Japan.

Haven't played as India, Rome, Poland, or Australia yet. Or Brazil.

2. gfeier

gfeier King

I make an effort to play all civs at a given level on huge maps. Right now, I'm nearing the end of a dandy game playing as Norway at King level. Germany is ahead of me in score, but it looks like I might pull out a science victory although two other civs have also completed moon landings. Greece (Gorgo) was ahead in culture throughout the game, but I've finally caught her.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I tend to shy away from the religious leaders, so I never go random for that reason. I still haven't played a full game with Arabia or India yet. But I also try to sample a fairly wide variety of leaders. But I still have favorites. China, Japan, Germany, Australia top my list. Persia is pretty cool too.

4. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

If you are playing Arabia for religion, you re playing them wrong. I'll stop posting things to this effect, as soon as I stop reading them.

Siptah likes this.
  5. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

I tend to go for Vicky more than anyone else, (probably because I'm English), but I've played all of them at least once. I like to change leaders every new game, that way it stays fresher.

Least favourite is Teddy, he just makes me cringe, and want to attack and exterminate!

All in all, I think VI is better balanced with civs than V was. Even Germany doesn't stand out THAT much.

6. agonistes

You sure you actually know what you're talking about? Granted Arabia has an elite uu, but just because they are awarded the last great prophet does not mean they are weak on a religious victory.

Quite a few folks seem to think that because they get that last prophet for free, they should wait for him.

Ignore the free prophet and you have a civ that doesn't need campuses or theaters to keep ahead in science and culture, freeing up districts for holy sites. There is enough inherent synergy there to easily consider Arabia a good civ for a Religious victory.

What corrupts the weighing of the discussion further, after the misleading prophet, is that conquest is such an easy path to victory still regardless of what civ you pick. Therefore, when you ask 'is Arabia better suited for conquest or religion?', every civ is better suited for conquest, and the question isn't fair.

But looking at a religious victory, Arabia is pretty good.

To say that someone is playing Arabia wrong because they are going for a religious victory is close enough to saying that playing ANY civ for a religious victory is wrong, that you are effectively saying the latter.

And THAT is so clear that it seems to me you're still stuck on viewing Arabia as misleading people into thinking its a religious civ (thanks to the free prophet), when actually its you who haven't turned the corner and seen that Arabia is a good religious civ despite the free prophet being a .... false decoy?

If you (anyone) is having a challenge getting one of the first few prophets, chop more trees and trade goods for gold. Even on deity its doable.

7. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

Actually, they do need campuses. The Madrassa is a university replacement that
    A: is a full era earlier than the university
    B: generates faith based upon campus bonus (including city-state bonuses)
    C: is unlocked in the civics tree, allowing you to tech beeline other things

now what all that amounts to is outside India, some of the craziest faith generation in the game. Now what one does with that faith... is another story. Theocracy and buying a land army for invasion is more ideal in my world than pursuing RV. As is buying even more science buildings with Jesuit Education. AI loves to build holy sites, so you will tend to snowball. Yes, it's an opinion, but a not uncommon opinion. RV sucks. Don't do it. It's boring and broken.

in short, what you want to do with your early mountain-adjacent tiles: build campuses, not holy sites. And build chariots, not horsemen. You should be hitting Stirrups around the time your madrassas start to kick out good faith. Then start taking out nearby cities with holy sites/campuses. Even if you have 7 religions in the game, the worst belief you will get with the Last Prophet is Zen Meditation (I have tested this extensively) which isn't bad.
    And the question isn't whether or not they are good at RV compared to other civs, it is are they a "Religious" civ, in that they have to play religion to be viable (Spain). They don't. In fact you can completely ignore it and there is zero detriment to their bonuses. I'm not advocating Domination only. They are very good at Science Victory assuming you build, or take over some good production cities in the Medieval and Renaissance eras.
    You may not agree with my premise, but I do know what I am talking about. Arabia is a synergy bonus civ that has a very specific and powerful plan. They are good at every victory condition but cultural.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Mr. Shadows, Siptah and soundwaveuk like this.
  8. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I still haven't played every civ once. Once I try them all, I'll have some idea which I'll try more frequently. Or maybe I'll start going random. Or I'll try modded civs. In other words, I have no go-to civ.

9. LordByron

LordByron Chieftain

I like to try all but Germany looks OP to me.
    Tried twice and ha dthe easiest games ever.

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

A lot does depend on circumstance, Germany is pretty strong.

I still think Englands Pax Brittanica is highly underrated, I had a city with Iron early in the current game and my nearest civ was deemed on another continent, too 5 cities and had 5 extra swordsmen... you just want to keep rolling when the army gets that big and you have the finances to continue.... but it's all situation while the super OP countries like the new ones are just stupidly OP. The Oz nerf is not really a nerf at all, here is a nation you can just own with.

11. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

As far as modcivs, I rolled @sukritact 's Siam. fun but really OP.

Nigel_Tufnel2 likes this.
  12. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Warlord

Yea I played a MP game with some twich streamers as Siam when we all did modded civs. I ran away with the game. That Siam civ mod is wayyyyy OP. Fun, but not something I'd do again.

13. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

I put them in another game as an AI... and they became a behemoth. They probably could be nerfed a bit. I love the fact he got some unique art assets for their UD

14. agonistes

Well, hopefully we see some more representation from that area.

What does the leaderhead look like in that mod?

15. Forster

Forster Prince

I like Sumeria amd Rome best, but I also like England and Persia.

16. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 King

17. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I play as Japan or Macedon for the music, as Kongo if I want to play a cultural game, as Sumeria for domination, Australia for the appeal game.

18. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Tojo is great, also Frederick (guess I like to build Factories....)

Not adverse to Tomyris, Peter and Trajan though, and civic duty to float Victoria every now and then :D

Victoria likes this.
  19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

One must abide by ones civic duty, Jolly good show what!

agonistes likes this.
  20. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

China.
    I'm addicted to extra worker builds . . .

[immortal]

craney1987 likes this.