1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you recommend I first play this mod as?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Swein Forkbeard, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

Seriously, I tried as Germany in the 1936 Europe start, and the whole thing just seemed overwhelming. I just felt like sleeping off my units, and why are the cities all set to produce wealth? And on a side note, why are Von Papen and Yamamoto back?

So yeah, for my first time, which civilization should I play as in which start (1936 Europe, 1939 Europe, or Pacific)? I just feel like having a recommendation.

2. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

1939 and Germany because you have to be able to hold against the Russians, English, Americans, Canadians, and the Norwiegans from taking your empire; plus you start right at the beginning of the real fighting in WWII about 5 turns from war with Poland, England, France.

3. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

Okay, but it's still overwhelming that all my cities are set to produce wealth at the start, some cities are left undefended, etc. I would like some advice on what to do in the first 5 turns.

4. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

1936 - Germany. This will give you plenty of time to build up and then smash the opposition.
    1936 - USA. Even longer time to start, however more distant for the enemy.
    1936 - Russia. Huge forces.
    1936 - England. Always been great to be on an Island fortress.
    1936 - France, Poland for short term challanges

NOTE: Play all as historic.

5. fireclaw722

fireclaw722 Imperial Guard

In the 1936 start build all buildings possible first(use the wealth for about 3 or 4 turns with research level at 0% then put it up after you are done getting money), then change production to units(you should have enough defencive units to cover most if not all of your cities with a few left over). And when playing on 1939 start do about an Infantry, Tank, and Artilliery per each city(maybe 2 or 3 even if you play as Hungary, Greece, and the Low Countries), then do as just mentioned.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

just played my first time on this mod (the one that came with BTS)

There are a lot of good things about this mod, and a lot of quirks. Maybe there's a faq around here? I haven't found it yet. I couldn't find a readme or anything. I ask because it seemed incredibly easy. I'm thinking you have to play a high difficulty level. I normally play warlord and noble on the regular game. Well noble for this mod is far too easy.

A few other problems is airlifting entire armies accross an ocean? Too easy. Also there's no limit to how many you can airlift. Once I got my first city on the main continent, I airlifted all my home defenders from the U.S. (yeah I know playing the U.S. makes it too easy). Research in this game is way out of whack on Noble. I was finished with the tech tree by 1942. And the range of aircraft is too great. Other than those points, it's a well made scenario (although the adjectives of the civs are wrong- for intance it says the Russia have conquered so and so city instead of the russians)

As for what to do, build up any remaining infrastructure first and concentrate on research. Airforce bases are a must I'd say. I didn't waste alot of time building older units that would be obsolete before the war started. I concentrated everything on research. And as U.S. spreading democracry. I even got Italy to switch to democracy but it seemed to have little effect. I still had to fight them.

7. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Prince or Monarch is recommended for real challenge. My version should be played a Prince at a minimum.

Airlifting is not really "Airlifting" - more like high-speed transports. via Rail or Sea. One turn = 2 weeks. In those 2 weeks you could cross the Atlantic.