who else uses Workers as "human shields"

BiatchGuy

Warlord
In war, when I capture a lot of workers, I like to use them to create a buffer zone between my units and the enemy. This either forces the AI to go through the workers to get to me, or it draws them away from my military, since the AI never passes up a chance to grab some slaves! And if you're lucky you'll get the chance to grab the same workers over and over again.

I know I can't possibly be the only one to use this nefarious and devious strategy.... It's certainly better than simply disbanding them, or sending them back home to join your civilization and give you eons of "We cannot forget your cruel oppression" civil disorder and whatnot...

All the time :) Units that capture a worker have used up their attack for the turn, great for buying a little extra time to strengthen that city garrison.

I always feel dirty when i station a few a couple of tiles away from an enemy stack. The AI will divert its entire army to capture the little buggers. :lol:

do you need to pay actually for maintenance of captured workers? Or maybe they are just slaves?

Originally posted by FrosTi
do you need to pay actually for maintenance of captured workers? Or maybe they are just slaves?

Maintenance of the captives is free, AFAIK. Mind you, the lazy bastards only work at half-speed so YES: human shield every time. The AI seems to prefer to pick fights it knows it can win, so it will always (re)capture the worker rather than attack my seriously damaged Tank... not that I'm complaining :D

Yea, "war crime"! Been hearing a lot abut that one in the Middle East lately. Yikes.

The AI always goes for workers and undefended bombardment units (resources, too) like drawn to a magnet. I often deliberately leave certain "killing zones" wide open esp. if they are easy routes to a target the AI likes. As they move to it I counterattack out of a city or forest. Next turn the AI does it again marching right into those open plains where I hit them. Doesn't seem to learn.

I will sometimes position "extra" workers, or old units that I haven't bothered to upgrade yet as "pickets" or coast duty to prevent invasions. I find that if you don't prevent the AI from pathing through your country, they will wander on through like its nothing. I had one game where I had no right of passage agreements, and was at peace with everyone (strangely enough). I was in the middle of the pack in every way, so I wasn't ready to pick a fight just yet. Anyhow, the others civs started a huge war that I somehow managed to stay out of. I was one of 3 civs on a large island, on a huge map. The civs at either end were warring with each other, and they decided to duke it out in the middle of MY territory! I had to set up lines of workers and archers to stop the pathing of their tanks and mech units! I must say, it is very unsettling to see literally 100's of "enemy" forces wandering through your territory, passing next to your prized cities! By creating a line, I also found that it prevents them from sending units through your terriory, and then losing the diplomatic favour when you have to tell them to bug out. It stops needless wars this way.
I find if I set them on my coasts where I expect an invasion, it will deter the invasion. It forces the AI to either cancel the planned attack, or build marines. A good way to buy time at the very least.
I recommend this approach in peace time. In wartime, I found that you need the workers to create the colonies (captured ones are great for this use) on those precious resources that you need and don't have, the ones where when you capture the city, are 2 squares away and NOT part of your territory after the capture.

I confess: me. I just did it this morning, in fact. I was playing the US, and gradually conquering Rome. Pushed out on a limb and needed to slow down a counterattack.

But then, they weren't MY workers. They were Roman workers, "in my employ."

if you have old resources likesaltpeter or horses draw every troop out of that spotthe ai will rush for it.
but that ai doesnt know im standing there 2 tiles away with modernarmor so they fall for my trap.
oh yes i am a WARMONGER.
i feast on human flesh!!!!!!!!
muhaahahaahahaah!!!!!!!!:mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha: :ar15: :flamedevi :arrow: :tank:

Unneeded workers, your own and captured slaves, equal cash. Take 'em to your capital city and auction them off. Or, if you haven't got the heart for slavetrading, you can give them away to your friends, or even the bad, bad men you stole them from. Another related trick: take a horseman and a couple of triremes, or their equivalent, to a weak part of an enemy empire and come back with boatloads of free labour.

Kjle

You guys are smart. Those captured workers are slow, indigent, and rude to the troops. Leaving them out as bait does make sense. Of course, the AI is dumb enough without tricking them:)

Top Bottom