1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has come back to Civ IV after playing Civ V?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Davor, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Davor

Davor Prince

I believe like many here, I was really looking forward to Civ V. I played it and and after 4 weeks, stopped playing it and uninstalled it off my computer. I didn't uninstall Civ IV and now I am coming to play it more and more now.

I have even discovered mods for this game. Yes I know I saw the forums, but I never visted them before and played BtS all the time. Wow these mods are really good, I kick myself for not trying them before.

Anyways, how many other people here came back to Civ IV after playing Civ V?

Why did you come back?

For me, the main reason is no espionage system in Civ V. Also the diplomacy is a joke in Civ V as well. The lack of units lack of research, lack of buildings to make. Not owning as many cities, as well as no religon or anything to take it's place left me feeling that Civ V is bland, and all I do is hit end of turn not doing anything.

So now I am back playing Civ IV and seeing how many as well have done so, or if I am alone in doing this.

Davor

2. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

Although youre asking who tried civ5 and came back, check out this thread;

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377209

Its people who are sticking with civ4, a bit different, but i think some posts answer your question.

Me personally, i uninstalled civ4 when civ5 was brought to my attention, because in the past, new versions usually killed my urge to play the old. Im against steam-mandatory, so i never jumped to civ5, but after all the feedback on these forums, i feel i didnt miss out on much. I tried about 150 turns of the 100 turn demo though. Graphics looked nice i guess, didnt care for the multiple levels of interface to get to unit orders.

3. AFS

AFS Warlord

I played Civ V and I was amazed by the graphics. Also the game is a lot different from Civ IV, which is nice (I didn't want to play Civ IV with better graphics). The music is excelent, the hexes feels fresh, everything was good... except for one thing that I never expected: the game is awfully slow. Giving orders to your units one by one... arrrgg, that's too much (for me).

I believe I'm one of the few players than actually likes everything from Civ V, but I stop playing it for a totally different reason, that damn turtle speed.

So I'm still playing IV, trying to win at Monarch, but I can't :( . At least it's fun, and every game doesn't takes me more than 3 hours.

4. McCoyForHeisman

McCoyForHeisman Chieftain

I'm with you.

It had been about 2 years since I'd played Civ 4 at all. When Civ 5 came out I was very excited about the prospect of getting hooked all over again. All of the reviews on commercial sites sounded positive so I ponied up my $50 and bought it.

From the first minute, I was annoyed. The stupid startup video played every single time I launched the game, and it wouldn't stop when I pressed escape. I had issues with DX10/DX11 and terrible performance which I finally got resolved by updating video drivers and reinstalling DX. Probably didn't help the games case with me that I was annoyed by the time I even got my first game started.

Then I was shocked to discover commerce didn't split into beakers and gold anymore, and that cottages were gone. I didn't care for the way the borders expanded. I found myself getting highly annoyed with city states. I only managed to play about 8 hours before I was completely utterly bored with the game. I'm happy some people seem to enjoy it but it wasn't what I was expecting at all and I found myself wanting to do about a hundred things other than Civ while I was playing (including mowing the yard, doing laundry and dishes, etc).

Finally decided I'd return to Civ 4 since I hadn't played it in awhile. Installed the BAT Mod (which is greatness) and have been enjoying banging away on it for the last month. Have about 50 hours into 2 Noble and 3 Prince games. I'm considering finally taking the step up to Monarch.

The irony in all this is that I'm actually glad I bought Civ 5 for the sole reason that it got be motivated enough to play Civ 4 again. $50 well spent :)

5. Haig

Haig Deity

Well, I only got Civ IV this summer, and I decided to play it alongside Civ V when it would be out.
    Actually I was worried about V because it omitted so many things from IV, even though I haven't mastered them all in Civ IV.

After the initial excitement I became bored of Civ V and solely played IV.
    I gave V a change after the latest patch, but all three games I tried I stopped playing from boredom, games became so predictable around middle ages or even before that..

It was funny for example to try an archipelago map with the English in V, and after it became a chore I started a similar scenario with IV, and from first turns on everything was so much smoother and exciting and it felt like decisions mattered and I had numerous strategies to try.

V is simply boring, sluggish and lifeless.
    I'm happy that some people have managed to play 200 hours of it and still like it, but it's like every report of them just mentions fighting with units and going to war, which really is only thing left in the game. And actually with the silly A.I. and the long waiting times between turns, it also lost part of it's shine.

Even more than A.I. patches I need big add-ons that would bring variety to games.

OK I was never away from Civ IV, but got to say that I've found the best game I've ever played.

6. spunkyjones

spunkyjones Chieftain

I've also gone back to Civ IV, Civ V just feels slow and dull. After 19 hours I just can't play anymore. Maybe a expansion pack or mods will help, but for now I'm done with V.

7. Bushface

Bushface Deity

I got a conquest win on Civ 5 at deity level in my third (I think) game, but this gave me no feeling of anything more than "thank goodness I've finished". Dull, dull, dull. Ought to be renamed "Civ for dummies" in my opinion.
    So back to Civ 4 BtS at emperor level, where I expect to win but enjoy myself in any case.

8. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

When I came back to Civ 4 (after only two games of Civ 5, blechh) I actually realized I liked the graphics more. They seem more charming and distinctive; it's much easier for me to see what's going on at a glance. And I like the animation on the tiles.

Of course that isn't the main reason I prefer Civ 4, but I see so many people saying "the graphics were the only thing better in 5" that I thought I should mention it.

9. McCoyForHeisman

McCoyForHeisman Chieftain

Gilmore, that was another of the things that drove me crazy in Civ 5. All my farms looked the same whether they were being worked or not. I liked seeing at a glance which mines were active and which were not. Not sure why that didn't make the cut in 5.

I prefer the graphics in 4 as well. Informative, clean, and simple.

10. BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice Chieftain

I am back and the release of the BAT mod 3.0 just came at the right moment. (For those of you who don't know BAT: it makes your game a lot... prettier! :) It is a graphic overhaul that does not change the game rules at all.).

I did not give up on CiV though, I will try again after the next patch is out, which should fix diplomacy and AI at least a bit.

11. Davor

Davor Prince

Do not hold your breath there. From what I read that 2K Greg said, that the AI will be worked on but wont be ready any time soon. So expect another 2 or 3 patches before you see the AI improve. So I am guessing Around March.

I agree with this. Civ V is a dull slow game. I never thought of the name "Civ for dummies" but now that I think about it, it is so fitting. :p

12. ChihuahuaKing

ChihuahuaKing Chieftain

I got V, installed it on the desktop, played for a bit. Then I went to my grandparent's house, taking the laptop without V but with IV, and played IV a bunch there. Never played V since, because it's slow, and easy. On IV, I actually have to try to win on Chieftan (yeah, laugh all you want), but on V, I was easily invading people who struck up the littlest of resistance. The AI needs to be less artificial, and more intellegent. With the slowness, it takes forever to start the program, open a game, and end a turn, and I have a decent computer.

13. Gaspar~

Gaspar~ Warlord

Basically the same story for me. I've been with the series since the original (though I did pick it up late, maybe only 6 mos or so before Civ2 came out.) I played a ton of Vanilla Civ4 and though I picked up the expansions, didn't play Warlords much at all, and I hadn't touched BTS for more than a game or two in well over a year. I bought Civ5 on release and was rapt for... about 3 games when I realized just how much it was missing (I don't even mean features-wise, I mean the way its taken so much away from what I believe is the soul of the series.) That, and the fact that on a fairly good rig it runs slow, eats your whole processor, and doesn't even have an elegant windowed mode drove me quickly away. I found I was reading the forums, but not actually playing games. Then I started reading some BTS game reports and remembered just how awesome a game it is. So I started playing again, and man, I haven't been able to put it down.

I'm disappointed that I blew $60 on the stupid "deluxe" edition of Civ5, but I doubt I'll ever pick it back up. Even with patches and expansion, the core design of the game is so far afield from what I believe Civilization to be about that I just can't imagine them ever giving me a reason to play it instead of the awesome Civ4.

14. zarakand

zarakand Prince

Same story as most of you. I was very excited about CiV and found it to be tedious. The shame of the matter is that I LOVE the changes...1upt, limited resources, the way the borders expand but the AI and diplomacy are just broken making the game a chore to play.

I've been enjoying Legends of Revolutions Mod and I might even try the FFH mod for Civ IV.

15. h@@kon

h@@kon Chieftain

ditto. I'm back to Iv, and V is collecting dust in my shelve.

16. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

I tried the Civ 5 demo. Played about 60 turns and shut it down uninstalled and shook my head in dismay for Firaxis and Sid Meier. Bummed....bummed.

Civ IV never left my PC and never will. There is so much content (official and mod) that the game can be fresh for me for a very long time. Of course it helps that after I finish a Civ IV game I go play something else for awhile. Hell, I still break out a NWN mod occassionally!

17. Centerfinger

Centerfinger Chieftain

I put in almost 100 hours on Civ5, but stopped playing to return to Civ4. I played a decent amount of civ4 vanilla, but just got the expansions.

Whooooaaa, BTS is awesome. There is just way more to do. Since I was playing Prince/king levels on 5, I figured noble would be a good starting place for me. I have only completed and won 1 game and it was a HARD fought time victory. I barley won, it may have been an 80 point difference. When I used to play Vanilla, I played on easier levels and always walked away with the wins, but that Noble game was uber cool.

The unit stacks were fine and the graphics were also fine and I will look into the graphic overhaul mods as well. It was little things like smiley faces when cities were happy, little cinematics when religion was found, wonder movies. I learned a lot about BTS on my 1 game. My first war, I got creamed by the enemy navy I had never seen that many ships before and I was way under prepared. Lots to learn with civ4 BTS, but I'm loving it right now.

I will go back to civ5 when they optimize the turn times and the graphical glitches. I spent about $300 (including the game) to get my PC up to specs. With a graphics card that is supposed to blow the min requirements out of the water, there is no need for greyed graphical glitches and red glowing orbs everywhere.

18. bob_d

bob_d Chieftain

I only played Civ V for a few hours. I was immediately turned off by the slowness of everything, having to click a zillion messages on the interface, the inability to alt-tab away from the game (which I think was a bug afflicting only some comptuers).

What a waste of $50.

19. ston

ston Warlord

I tried 2-3 games of Civ V then uninstalled it. Aside from the BUGs, poor AI, ugly graphics (trading post sprawl = street pizza) and weird hammer imbalance, one of the main problems I had was one of immersion. Civ IV pulls off the trick of making me care about my civ, its units and buildings etc. whereas Civ V left me feeling completely detached from the game.

20. DavidPBacon

DavidPBacon Chieftain

I also went back to Civ IV after a huge disapointment with Civ V. I feel like a friend died. Well, know I'm trying new Mods to have new experiences. Damn, I even went back to Civ Call to Power II. Trying Ages of Man with that game.