Who here has killed acheron lately?

From my very limited experience, if the mighty dragon is in a city next to the sea, 2/3 OOpriest casting tsunamis each turns will reduced all the dragon's friends to 25% of power and therefore are/should be easy to kill
the dragon itself is resisting a lot more, and start with a so high defense that you need more priests and some relatively strong units to get it, but 'amphibious' attack with OO special units should be working fine ?

The Barbarian State cannot have access to mana or any other resource because they don't have a capital city. Well, actually I think individual cities can use resources, but for arcane units to use mana to get resources they'd need a capital city.

The sons of the inferno will get earth elementals if Acheron makes his base with river/lake access to the standing stones, so I have to say this is incorrect.

Also, the sons of the inferno are a major problem when there are already 10 of them once Clan of embers gets around to casting its world spell and starts marching fire elementals prior to Iron weapons.

I kill Acheron every game ... its called selecting "no Acheron"

Good lord! What are all these Sons of the Inferno and such? Every time I've seen Acheron, I've defeated him handidly, as it's always (without fail) him and a single Archer. No matter if its turn 150 (not that I defeat him then!) or turn 450, he's just sitting there with a lone archer in his massively cultured barbarian city.

Are these other cool units added by a modmod or something? If so, which one, and how do I get it? Acheron has never seemed particularly epic to me-- disappointing, even!-- so I'm all for beefing him up! :D

Are these other cool units added by a modmod or something? If so, which one, and how do I get it? Acheron has never seemed particularly epic to me-- disappointing, even!-- so I'm all for beefing him up! :D

Download the latest FFH2 Patch "n" for the Beyond the Sword expansion.

Then, have fun with Archeron and his buddies... Bring friends... lots... and a bucket of Aloe Vera gel...

Sons of Inferno were added by one of the newer FfH patches

Yea ... and Sons of Inferno are broken, silly, and in the way. They don't even make Acheron more powerful, they just make the Dragon's Hoard more annoying.

Now ... RIFE handled Acheron VERY well imho. While still ungodly annoying, at least its badass instead of a PAIN in the ass.

Yea ... and Sons of Inferno are broken, silly, and in the way. They don't even make Acheron more powerful, they just make the Dragon's Hoard more annoying.

Now ... RIFE handled Acheron VERY well imho. While still ungodly annoying, at least its badass instead of a PAIN in the ass.

You'll love him in 1.3 then... He's leashed to his city. With a range of up to 10 tiles (varies each turn). Best yet? You can only see the exact length of the leashes of your own units, so you'll never know just how far he can travel.... :crazyeye:

Unfortunately, I feel that the current version of Acheron spoils the game and so I disable that feature for all my new games. :(

I hope Kael decides to fix this before the game is finally put to bed and there are no more patches. I expect to still be playing FfH2 (occasionally) in 10 years time just like I still play Master of Magic now.

Unfortunately, I feel that the current version of Acheron spoils the game and so I disable that feature for all my new games. :(

I hope Kael decides to fix this before the game is finally put to bed and there are no more patches. I expect to still be playing FfH2 (occasionally) in 10 years time just like I still play Master of Magic now.

I happen to like the tougher Archeron. It's better than what he used to be. Before, he was just a beast carrying around a trophy, waiting to get stomped as soon as you had some extra units. Now, he's tougher and he is more of a sideline character. Going after him is much more of a challenge and more "fun" than it used to be.

Weird..

In a game I'm playing, I received the message "Archeron has been killed." It was somewhat startling because it was fairly early in the game for the AI to do that yet. So, I looked around.

Archeron's city is still there. The Sons are still there as well as some barb defenders. But, Archeron is dead.. That's exceedingly strange, isn't it? The AI just killed him and left the city and Sons behind without killing the defenders as well?

What manner of beastie runs around and one-shots Archeron without bothering to kill off the defenders or eventually taking the city?

Weird..

In a game I'm playing, I received the message "Archeron has been killed." It was somewhat startling because it was fairly early in the game for the AI to do that yet. So, I looked around.

Archeron's city is still there. The Sons are still there as well as some barb defenders. But, Archeron is dead.. That's exceedingly strange, isn't it? The AI just killed him and left the city and Sons behind without killing the defenders as well?

What manner of beastie runs around and one-shots Archeron without bothering to kill off the defenders or eventually taking the city?

Exact same thing. I was really surprised when Perpentach and Decius somehow took out just Acheron with a few catas, a mimic or two, and about 10 tigers (wow, the AI really spams those!). I was on Warlord, too.

I was really surprised when Perpentach and Decius somehow took out just Acheron with a few catas, a mimic or two, and about 10 tigers (wow, the AI really spams those!).

I suspect that AI units ignore fear when attacking Acheron.

I believe there is an AI bonus against barbarian units and it may also apply to Acheron.

The AIs send lots of units to attack Acheron so it's not surprising if they win a 3% battle occassionally.

Quite often the AI will throw everything in a stack to attack a city. It's likely that after killing Acheron and a few Inferno guys there's only a few units left in the stack, not enough to attack again.

I believe there is an AI bonus against barbarian units and it may also apply to Acheron.

The AIs send lots of units to attack Acheron so it's not surprising if they win a 3% battle occassionally.

Quite often the AI will throw everything in a stack to attack a city. It's likely that after killing Acheron and a few Inferno guys there's only a few units left in the stack, not enough to attack again.

Hmm, I'll have to check, but wouldn't that mean that Archeron's nice little treasure chest is still sitting in that city? He is chained there, after all....

By the way, Perpentach finally took Acheron's city after about 20 turns of trying to capture it. He now has two other crap cities pretty close to it, one of which has no resourches at all, and the other has A LOT of mountains in its BFC. Decius also captured another barb city to the north.

Hmm, I'll have to check, but wouldn't that mean that Archeron's nice little treasure chest is still sitting in that city? He is chained there, after all....

Quite so. If you use Hyborem's whisper to take over Acheron's city the poor dragon gets evicted with his housemates and sits around two spaces away. The treasure is part of the city so you can then just walk off with it. The problem comes when your automated workers all rush to develop the city :(.

In a recent game, I brought a huge stack of high-end units to take Acheron down. I expected a bloodbath... But it was short.
He killed my first Hospitalier without taking a scratch. Then I threw a phalanx at him (without anything special), and... I won. The phalanx got 35 xp points as a reward, IIRC... Luck of the beginner?

Top Bottom