Who here has killed acheron lately?

The Elves are no good at it; believe me. The last army I sent east to the burning lands never returned - they were good fighters too. For Elves anyway.
Pshaw. Playing Ljosalfar on my second ever game of FFH, my Yvain defeated and turned Acheron. Now he plays for Team Elf. :) (Treant vs. Dragon FTW!)

Playing as the Hippus I had 4 knights (national unit) some royal guard and a couple of catapults and a hero. The high level of withdraw was working well, and I had got his health down to a managable level - a certain kill nex time in fact, when a bunch of elves slip out of the forrest and deliver the killing blow.

Pesky pointy-eared allies.

My last game I was playing Sheaim. I had 4 Eater of Dreams (Archmage), 4 Liches, Rosier the Fallen (with Crown of Command, War, Athame, Staff of Souls, Orthus's Axe, and 5 Death Nodes). I also managed to claim an Ice Mana (frigus-whatever). 1 of my Eaters could cast Snowfall, and the other 3 could Dominate. All of them (read: archmage-types) could make Wraiths.

By the time I was done with Acheron I had 8 Sons of the Inferno (with various spells, all had Wraiths) and the dragon himself... who I gave all of Rosier's toys to.

I brought the Armageddon Clock to 100 in short order. I had to go back to a save to prevent losing my Dragon... Count 100 (?) made me lose the Dragon with all the toys on it... so I went back and gave those to a worker and brought the AC back up and lost that Worker instead. :D

Ahh, good times.

Edit: I later went on to smash Hyborem just for kicks. I tried to take control of him with Command, but he is immune. :/

one archmage with twincast and death3 ... oh, and 4 mercenaries with bronze weapons, but their role was pure aesthetic ...

I never beat Acheron (except when I was playing around with the WorldBuilder and Drifa), but as the Luchuirp once, I razed at least five or six cities that Acheron was planning on making his own.
Then once as Basium, someone (possibly Lanun?) killed Acheron, but I happened to be nearby and took his city (thus stealing the Dragon's Hoard.) I thought that was kinda unfair, so I worldbuilded in ANOTHER dragon's hoard and gave it to Innsmouth.

Just did it as the Grigori. Sent in a stack of about 30 mixed units. Waited for the SotI to start flinging fireballs/elementals, but they never did. Artillery softened them up, a knight who had earlier killed Maros had an even chance against Acheron. The knight lost, but injured him enough that an assassin easily finished the job. Of course I had a mage along that had cast courage on the stack. After that, the rest of the units mopped up the SotI and I had a nice new city on my way to domination.

The problem i have with Acheron is that I have killed him, often, but it has always been after I have already de facto won the game. I've never taken him out as part of a winning strategy.

Best wishes,

Breunor

The problem i have with Acheron is that I have killed him, often, but it has always been after I have already de facto won the game. I've never taken him out as part of a winning strategy.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Thats true.
I used Acheron to win when I captured him, but the game was won already even without him. He is much 'end-gamey'

Got Acheron as a relatively close neighbour in a game today, playing as Ljosalfar/Arendel. Taking a cue from another comment in the thread, I settled two close cities, let them build some culture, and then fired the world spell. A few turns later Acheron died under a flood of treants. The only units that managed to appear in the city were two archers and a warrior.

So I'd say that the Ljosalfar are better positioned to take out Acheron early than most other civilisations.

Thats true.
I used Acheron to win when I captured him, but the game was won already even without him. He is much 'end-gamey'

The same can be said about Brigit.

Got Acheron as a relatively close neighbour in a game today, playing as Ljosalfar/Arendel. Taking a cue from another comment in the thread, I settled two close cities, let them build some culture, and then fired the world spell. A few turns later Acheron died under a flood of treants. The only units that managed to appear in the city were two archers and a warrior.

So I'd say that the Ljosalfar are better positioned to take out Acheron early than most other civilisations.

Kael has said, and I wholeheartedly agree, that beelining a narrow strategy to victory is not a bad thing (i.e. a bug, exploit, cheat, etc). For one thing, that strategy will not always be possible, and for another, the strategy carries inherent risks or cost. In this case, the number of treants is variable and/or you could be left with two poorly-placed cities (in terms of resources) by following that strategy... if you're unlucky of course.

You did your homework (sifting through the thread) and were rewarded for it. Huzzah, sirrah! Huzzah!

Kael has said, and I wholeheartedly agree, that beelining a narrow strategy to victory is not a bad thing (i.e. a bug, exploit, cheat, etc). For one thing, that strategy will not always be possible, and for another, the strategy carries inherent risks or cost. In this case, the number of treants is variable and/or you could be left with two poorly-placed cities (in terms of resources) by following that strategy... if you're unlucky of course.

Yup. Granted, I had to place one of the cities one off where I wanted it (due to the dragon's hoard culture), but overall I'm happy. I also had to give up quite a lot of vertical expansion (some ancient forest growth and the health loss) and the deterrence of the world spell.

So it's far from a loss-free choice, and as you said, it's not always available (eg, if Acheron has managed to get a decent following). On the other hand, I "only" lost six treants out of 48, and the rest are positioned to plant new forests.

Nice use of the world spell. It is true it is hard to see Acheron as anything other than a late game steamroller, as the only civ that could realistically stand a chance to kill the dragon early as opposed to mid game are the Hippus, with their awesome hit and run tactics....

Well, I've just played my second ffh game with that circus princess leader. My civ adopt the tree-hugger religion. My plan was to build Satyr by tossing multiple Fawns in arena. I hoped he might be useful for cap animals for the grand circus, then the vamps finished Nature revolt. Wow, nearly 40+ axemen from a couple of barb cities on another continent suddenly turn into bears! I moved my satyr next to their cities and cast mezmerize spells, and I got 40+ army of (7 str)bears within few turns!

With my new army, I thought it's time to pay a visit in a territory where I saw fire elementals floating in and out. Strangely, the fire elementals never attacked my bear stack. And I saw the Acheron for the first time, along with his 20 sons. I started the battle with 8 catapults, followed by forty+ bears, 3 hill giants, 12 mimics with iron weapons.

You want to know the result? Fail! and I want to know why, arrgg.

I usually have no trouble killing Acheron.

His Sons of the Inferno, as many people have noted, however...

I'm not sure about the giants but bears and other animals have a pretty hefty penalty when attacking cities.

Top Bottom