Who is "Cestus Group"?!

Ryoga

King
If you are familiar with the quest "Cultural Burden" and if you actually managed to complete it in spite of its bugs, you know that the story behind it is that one of the sponsor didn't make it to the planet due to some kind of malfunction.

Originally the quest picked a random sponsor among those not present in the game (and it crashed if they were all present), but since the December 2014 patch... the random factor was completely removed and the faction that "didn't make it" is always and invariably the:

CESTUS GROUP

This thread is a semi-serious attempt to speculate about:

"Who the hell are they?!"
"Where do they come from?"
"Which old Earth civilizations do they represent?"
"What is their agenda?"
"What would have been their unique trait?"
"Who was their leader?"

Please feel free to share with everyone your most wildest speculations.

PS: Someone should totally do a custom "Cestus Group" sponsor now.

If you are familiar with the quest "Cultural Burden" and if you actually managed to complete it in spite of its bugs, you know that the story behind it is that one of the sponsor didn't make it to the planet due to some kind of malfunction.

Originally the quest picked a random sponsor among those not present in the game (and it crashed if they were all present), but since the December 2014 patch... the random factor was completely removed and the faction that "didn't make it" is always and invariably the:

CESTUS GROUP

This thread is a semi-serious attempt to speculate about:

"Who the hell are they?!"
"Where do they come from?"
"Which old Earth civilizations do they represent?"
"What is their agenda?"
"What would have been their unique trait?"
"Who was their leader?"

Please feel free to share with everyone your most wildest speculations.

PS: Someone should totally do a custom "Cestus Group" sponsor now.

Hmm, it was a failed attempt to evacuate the remainder of humanity, led by Jerry Seinfeld XII?

Based on what we know of the currently-represented sponsors, my guess would be that it's some Middle Eastern sponsor. As far as I can tell, it's the only part of the world that doesn't have a sponsor, yet

Edit: Based on this map, I can actually see a case being made for the current non-representation of a Northern European sponsor as well:
Spoiler :

A cestus is an early boxing glove, used in ancient Greece and Rome. I'd color them in as a SCA-like group from the Mediterranean, trying to rebuild the Roman Empire among the stars. Led by Consul Gaius, they have the following trait:
Legionary Discipline. Military units may build roads/magrails. In addition, fortified units gain an additional +5 healing/turn.

From Wikipedia: "The word 'cestus' is Latin, an agent noun derived from verb caedere, meaning 'to strike', and as such can be reasonably translated as 'striker'."

The name might have something to do with the group's goal to settle the planet first. Maybe the leader is somewhat of a risk taker or adventurer. I guess the colonists would be, too, even more so than the rest of the colonists.

Someone should make a Cestus Group mod where after you pick your landing site, your ship crashes in a giant fireball and you lose on turn 0.

I feel like the Cestus Group probably launched sometime around Festivus from the city of Los Angeles but didn't make it because their ship contained large amounts of asbestos.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. *hides from tomatoes*

I did cultural burdens a bunch of times and didn't' realize it was bugged. It even triggered fine with all factions and even when i was missing one faction.

Interesting, this sounds like a quiet hint at an upcoming Faction or Firaxis needed a placeholder to fix Cultural Burden. I am choosing the former to be true because it makes me happier than the latter.

It does specifically say they were a "group", perhaps they were a band or some performance artists?

Cestus must be the Italian faction or poland faction cuz it uses latin and poland because poland cannot into space.

Am I the only one who have associations with Cerberus from ME?

Am I the only one who have associations with Cerberus from ME?

I'd have to say yes. Cerberus's goal was to prove human superiority over the many other galactic species, and to enhance themselves to ascension.

Obviously that cannot be possible here as humanity is the only intelligent race.

Top Bottom