1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is more important? You, or those you care about?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zack, Sep 29, 2011.

?

(READ THREAD FIRST!) Which option would you choose?

1. Option 1 -- You go to Heaven, but your friends, family, and loved ones go to Hell.

30.0%
  2. Option 2 -- You go to Hell, but your friends, family, and loved ones go to Heaven.

34.0%
  3. Option 3 -- You and downtown go to Heaven, and everyone else goes to Hell.

36.0%
  1. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

First, before doing anything else, read this thread.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283166

Now, to the actual hypothetical.

For the purposes of this hypothetical, let's assume the following are true:

1. God is real.
    2. There is an afterlife.
    3. The afterlife is divided into "heaven" and "hell".
    4. God's true religion is called "Godism", and you are a faithful practitioner.
    5. Entrance into "heaven" requires belief in Godism.
    6. All of your friends and family are atheists.
    7. "Heaven" is eternal paradise.
    8. "Hell" is eternal misery.

Now, let's say you, a steadfast believer in Godism, are reclining comfortably on the sofa, eating Cheeto Puffs and watching My Little Pony. Suddenly, a bright light appears, blinding you momentarily. It recedes, and when you open your eyes, God is standing before you. (For the purposes of this hypothetical, this IS actually God.) You fall down to your knees, asking what God wishes of you.

"First," God says, "Thou shalt stop watching My Little Pony, you sissy."

Blushing, you nod your head vigorously. "Anything!"

God continues. "I came here to tell you something, [your name]. Something very important. You have been very righteous in your faith, and so I have come offering you a choice concerning salvation.

"You know very well that all of your friends and family are atheists, and therefore are doomed to eternal damnation in Hell after they pass from this life. You, however, are destined to go to Heaven after this life. I hereby offer you a choice:

"Option 1 -- You go to Heaven after you die, and all of your friends and family go to Hell. You will be happy in Heaven, living in everlasting paradise, but you will always have the thought of your friends, family, and loved ones suffering in eternal misery and torment.

"Option 2 -- You go to Hell after you die, and all of your friends and family go to Heaven. You will be miserable in Hell, living in everlasting misery, but you will always have the thought of your friends, family, and loved ones living happily in eternal paradise.

"Option 3 -- You and downtown go to Heaven after you both die, and literally every other person who has ever lived, is living, and will live goes to Hell.

"So, [your name], what do you choose? Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3?"

2. west india man

west india man Immortal

Is this god meant to be like the Christian god?

3. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Problem: being happy in heaven but having the thought of friends and family suffering would not make for a happy time.

Option 3!

4. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

What are the conditions of heaven and hell in Godism.

5. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Read Fifty's thread.

Woops! This has been clarified in the OP.

6. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Option 3. It makes the most sense.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Ugh, I don't really like this choice.

While I am willing to die for people I love (really only one person I would die for), I don't think I'd want to go to hell. Honestly, I had to go with option 1. Even though knowing that my friends and family are in hell would bother me quite a bit. Sure I'd die a cold empty death as long as it didn't involve hell. But hell is pushing it too far.

As Captain Kirk might say, when you don't like the choices and outcome, you change the rules. In my version, I'd demand god give me 2 hours to think it over, and in those 2 hours I convince my family and friends to convert to Godism and that I know for a fact they will go to hell if they don't. If would ask god for proof of his existence if my friends and family doubted me.

8. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Good, that was the objective.

9. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

I read Fifty's thread, and I still can't answer. The idea that I could somehow be happy even though I know with 100% certainty that everyone I have ever cared about is suffering eternal torment causes such a mental disconnect that I am literally unable to answer the question.

10. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Hell is where the party is at! Hail Satan, here I come :D

11. Theov

Theov Deity

Gimme hell, I'll bite through it.

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

The thread title is rather insulting. I'd not hesitate to sacrifice my life to save a family member, but that has nothing to do with one's relationship with God. That is entirely their choice and if they choose to live a belief that leads them down one road, that's their CHOICE and I am not going to sacrifice my future with God because they chose a different path.

EDIT: It's bugging me now that I cannot remember where it is, but my brain is nagging me with a biblical verse of something along the general lines of ' Do not look behind you to see who is following.'

13. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Why would you quote the Bible?

You're looking at this like it's Christianity, but it's not. God is giving you the choice to sacrifice yourself to save all of those you care about from eternal misery and woe.

14. Theov

Theov Deity

This is the god of godism, not the god of bible-ism.

15. G-Max

G-Max Deity

I'm wondering WTF the OP means by "downtown"

16. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Nothing whatsoever in the OP restricted this from me referencing Biblical material. I realize it was rather generic, but it fits okay with Christianity.

17. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Feel free to reference the Bible, I guess, but don't be insulted because you decided to intentionally misinterpret the hypothetical. :)

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I can't pick option 1 because I could not live with myself.

I can't pick option 2 because it would be.. hell

Option 3.. no tea time. Well, I could have tea time, but I would be all alone.

So I'm afraid I can't participate in this hypothetical

19. bombshoo

bombshoo Never mind...

You go to Heaven but the song "Downtown" by Petula Clark plays incessantly in the background for eternity. :mischief:

20. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

Option 1. In the hypothetical, my family and friends had the choice to follow the religion and go to Heaven. Unfortunately, they didn't, and eternity in Hell is the penalty they have to pay.

"downtown" as in the CFC legend.