1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is planning to remove 1UPT with the new Mod?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by BjoernLars, Sep 22, 2010.

?

Will you remove 1UPT with the new Mod?

1. No.

230 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. Probably not.

17 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Not sure yet.

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Probably will.

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Yes.

28 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

It hasn't even been 24 hours and yet it is here already. A mod by Kael called Legions lets you removed 1UPT among many other things.

Who's ready to use this or think they will be soon?

2. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

Why would you want too? I'm sure the A.I won't be able to use it correctly and I'm sure that you'd be better off going back to IV as it seems to have more depth with all the expansion packs and mods already out.

3. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

Definitely not! I think the time could have been better spent with this particular mod!

4. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

I've just been playing the demo so far, but I've enjoyed my first sacking of a city and I am greatly looking forward to this new combat system in larger game play. I really hated the stacks of doom and the suicide catapults.

5. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Might as well play Civ IV if you want to remove 1UPT.

Props to Kael for creating the mod, nevertheless!

6. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

Currently I think 1UPT is working pretty well. I had a look at the Legions mod, and currently it's still rather raw. Perhaps I'll try it once it's a bit better developed.

7. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

I want a mod that gets rid of the squads and replaces them with a bigger, more visually distinct unit.

8. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Yea... no. I was amazed to even see the mod.

9. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Removing 1UPT would completely ruin Civ V.

Stacks of Doom and Civ IV combat are 100x worse than what we have now.

If you dont like !UPT in Civ V, then you should matbe go back to playing Civ IV instead.

With this mod, you will be able to stack 20 ranged / siege units in the same tile and decimate any city in one turn. Civ V is not meant to be like that!

10. bernlin2000

bernlin2000 Prince

Really premature, and I don't want to ever go back to full stacks no matter what. It's a very strict system however, so we'll see: maybe a mod that allows 2 military units and a civilian unit.

11. squadbroken

squadbroken King

The last thing I want to return to is giant stacks bumping into each other until one disappears. Civ 4's combat system was atrocious.

12. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Yep.

I would like to see the AI perform better in tactical. Seems to be doing pretty well in other regards.

I like the game overall so far but need to play it a lot more to really evaluate all elements. I'm still on my first game at 14+ hours running. So much war...starting with Persians rushing with immortals and it's never really stopped.

13. Gath

Gath Warlord

It was handled badly, but its more realistic than what we're playing now. Through most of history, armies marched together in a big group, met the other big group, and the tougher bastard won the day.

14. squadbroken

squadbroken King

Civ has never been realistic, though, so that's hardly a concern of mine.

15. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

In chess, bishops move diagonally. In real life, bishops walk in a straight line. Oh wow, chess isnt realistic!

And every pawn can become a queen, and castles can move .... :crazyeye:

16. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

being able to move multiple noncombat units (settlers/workers) and 1 combat unit on the same tile shouldn't break anything. it just makes you have to think less about conforming to some non-intersecting navigation pattern...

especially with this hex stuff... there isn't much room for error when you need to deviate from the true shortest path

also civ4 had the option to move into an enemy unit's tile without declaring war...
    i guess automatic naval transportation can avoid some of the bottlenecks, but there are many times when someone can just trap your expensive unit in a corner using just a scout

17. BjoernLars

BjoernLars Warlord

Any feedback from the ones who can't wait to get back to the traditional way to play Civ?

18. JWideman

JWideman Warlord

1UPT is one of the major reasons I was excited about Civ 5. Particularly with melee units being able to protect ranged units this way.

19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I've had the game on my HD for less than a day. Too early to just give up on something that fundamental.

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Playing Civ5 made me realize how tedious combat was in previous Civ games. I think I would actually zone out and just go through the motions until I won the battle (in Civ4, my only thought was how many catapults I'd lose and whether my cities should pump out some more or to go with swordsmen. If I had to, my second thought was which unit I should highlight that would give me the highest percentage kill). One unit per tile has actually made combat fun. It's not a war game, but it's flat out enjoyable. If I want to go back, I'll play Civ4 for the day (then I can go with role playing AI and religions too). Civ5 is a different game and I'm enjoying this change for sure.