1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Playing HUGE maps and have you finished games?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Larsenex, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Just wondering who is playing on a HUGE map and how your game is/has going? I started mine Friday evening and I am still on it as Rome. I am turn 285.

I have had a crash or two and the load time to get 'into' game is taking a about 5 to 8 minutes.

Other than that I finally got tired of Kongo to the north of me and I did causes beli and declared war. It is a 'severe' penalty but really I just don't care at the point. After him comes the Black queen who has DOZENS of Knights in my territory. She has muskets but I have Infantry and artillery. I just took his capital and will grab is last two cities. Then it is to re position the army back south and ready for the conflict between me and France. That ***** stole techs till I parked a spy on my best university (it has 3 mountain sides to it for a whopping +4!)

NOTE:>>> Field Cannons DO NOT UPGRADE to Artillery! Only Bombards do! Next game I am going for Bombards like candy because its cheaper and faster to upgrade them (with the right military card). than it is to build new ones!

At this stage in the game I am not sure if I am going to go for Science victory or casually annihilate the others. Huge maps feel big and getting around really is a PiTa.

Having fun and wonder what is in store for patches and such.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I am playing a huge map at marathon speed. I can report that the game is very stable. It's still my first game and I am about 800 turns into it, in the Atomic Era. I am trying to go for a Cultural Victory, but I think I have bungled it by not having enough Theater Squares ergo Museums.

3. Flak Fox

Flak Fox Radioactive Vulpine

I can report the same, my first game finished was a huge map, marathon speed, and it took me about 26 hours to complete. The only "instability" I faced was my sixth gen i7 reaching 90% CPU usage at the end of turns in the late game after running for 4+ hours straight, but it almost always was under 40% usage. Very few if any "hangups" or slow downs.

4. Matte979

Matte979 Jedi Master

On the save game load time, look at the fixes for window defender its screwing up the loading of save games.

Exclude the folder from windows defender. This should hopefully get patched soon, causing long load times and sometimes full freeze when loading.

5. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    Standard speed on a huge map. Currently in early 1900s (don't remember the turn #). Turn times are starting to take a hit, but no crashes or other issues at all. Turn times I believe are a result of England's massive army of apostles they move around each turn, but I don't have quick movement/combat on either....

6. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I'm on a Huge map on Emperor as Greece. Started on Saturday morning, but wasn't playing for most of Sunday and I took breaks from time to time to experiment with other civs and difficulty levels, getting used to the systems and mechanics before returning to the 'main game'.

Until the 16th Century, I was confined to a large landmass with India, three city states and, eventually, a single Norwegian colony. Then I moved out and have now met 8 of the 12 civs. I'm in the early 19th Century, and determined by 1500 that I would focus on cultural victory. I rapidly shot up to 2nd place and then switched between first and second before my tourism exploded with Computers (I also made very sure to obtain Mary Anning when she became available). I'm now comfortably leading, though Egypt and India have both made good progress towards a religious victory and the Aztecs - leading the science race - have already reached the Information Era. War with the Aztecs may loom, but a briefly declared joint war by Norway ended without any contact as they're a long way away. Ship movement really should be faster and ships should be able to stack with multiple units to accelerate sea crossings.

I may yet go back to war with India, but at this stage it seems largely irrelevant - Egypt overtook them in the religious victory stakes so they don't seem to be a significant threat.

The only crash I experienced was when leaving the game at the end of my session last night, which forced me to restart the computer.

7. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Prince

I'm playing a Huge map with 15 AI opponents, no crashes or slowdown after 350 turns on Epic.

As bad as the AI and UI is, at least the game is more stable this time.

8. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I would love to play a huge map but I'm wrapping up a large map game and in the modern Era the time between turns is about 2-3 minutes which is agonizing when these space missions take so long. Might just be my computer so I'll have to wait until I get my new machine at the end of the year to try huge

9. dewbak75

dewbak75 Chieftain

I started having trouble with load times for savegames as soon as I switched from fullscreen to windowed mode. I saw this Windows Defender tweak on another website and my load times were back to full speed.

10. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I will definitely try the Windows Defender trick.

How are you folks on pacing on the huge map? I see several good players breezing thru a game in like 6-7 hours but that HAS to be on a medium map.

Also is there a way to adjust pacing. For example I dont mind an epic setting BUT I want production to be like it is on Standard but research set back like on Epic. Thus I can have wars and tech last LOONGER but building and enjoying ones empire take longer.

Again I want my production to be at standard pacing but teching & civics slowed down to Epic or Marathon would be ideal!

11. Eagle Pursuit

Like-minded people are working on mods to do exactly that.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

My windows defender is disabled and I still get long load times, I will still look into it.

I will do one huge map for the achievement, can't bring myself to do more than one. Even standard sized maps seem plenty big, and bigger than huge maps I remember back in Civ2 days.

13. SassyPiplup

SassyPiplup Chieftain

I did a vanilla huge map game on Continents with the full roster, and there was nowhere left to settle by the Renaissance era.

How do you guys not run out of room without changing the default map sizes?

14. Eagle Pursuit

You only do the default 12 civs instead of the maximum.

Although, a reduction in available space always increased conflict in Civ V. I found the sweetspot is 16 civs on a huge map.

15. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

I imagine that playing on a huge map even on later stages it's plenty of unoccupied tiles, am I right ?

16. Eagle Pursuit

Not as bad as it was in Civ V.

17. Larsenex

Larsenex King

In my game with Rome on HUGE I played with me and 10 other civs. This seemed to give a good amount of space to expand a bit in. However I am going to start another game (as Rome) using the ini trick to push the other ai 20 tiles out from you rather than the default 9. I dislike that they start out so damn close but this is my first game and I am learning SO much like ..

NEVER EVER FORM A CORP WITH TWO PROMOTED TROOPS, ALWAYS GET ONE PROMOTED AND ONE GREEN!

FIELD CANNONS DO NOT UPGRADE TO ARTILLERY THEY BECOME MACHINE GUNS!

BUILDING 4 BOMBARDS AND UPGRADING THEM IS FASTER AND CHEAPER THAN BUILDING 4 ARTILLERY!

18. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

I finished a game with America, with huge continents map,12 civs and epic speed.

No big performance issues nor crashes. The only noticeable thing is the huge amount of intelligence reports at the beginning of every turn, and that it takes some time to process the AI movements at the final eras.

19. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

Finished a marathon game on a huge map at around turn 1150something. Had a few bluescreens, Im blaming my cooling paste. Other than that, I feel the huge maps are much smaller than their civ5 counterparts, but the turns take shorter time. I think I was at around 30sec for a turn to complete. Took a few minutes to load the game though, even on an ssd.

20. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

MadDjinns Tech tree (mod)
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/maddjinns-tech-tree-mod.600302/