Who is the most likely 2012 Republican Nominee?

Who is the most likely 2012 Republican Nominee?

• Newt Gingrich

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Rick Santorum

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • Mike Huckabee

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Tim Pawlenty

• Sarah Palin

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Mitch Daniels

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Haley Barbour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michele Bachmann

• Ron Paul

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • John Huntsman

• John Bolton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Radioactive Monkeys/No One/Don't Care

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelosi was the only one pushing the Democratic agenda, not proposing silly compromises. She may not be the be public speaker, but she was passionate in supporting all of the Democratic objectives. Without her, we wouldn't even have the watered-down compromises that we have. We need more politicians like her.

Actually, I now kind of like Donald Trump. (No, I'm serious. Really. I am. :)) Part of it comes from this article. He speaks clearly and in plain terms. He speaks the language of the common people. His one-line assessments of each presidential wannabe is to the point, and in my opinion, correct. Trump for president! And, I would love to see him say, "Your fired" to Obama. :mischief:

So Trump is so incredibly stupid that he doubts Obama was born in the US and that qualifies him to be president? After Reagan and Bush, don't you think it's time the GOPers nominated a man with a 3 digit IQ?

Donald "Mr Bankrupcy" Trump? Good God, man, why is he any better, fiscally, than Obama or Bush were?

Being against gay rights is quickly becoming a political liability. Besides, the economy is the most important issue now. It would be a convenient way to appeal to independents, if only by omission.

But do the Repubs ever care about that?

Huckabee or Romney. All the others are probably just doing America's version of a preferred choice voting system(i.e. people support them and then they throw their bid in for another candidate, folding most of their base into the other person's) and Trump is, well, Trump.

I'm inclined to trust Romney a bit more since he's not as much of a big government conservative like Huckabee with his "WE MUST HIKE MILITARY SPENDING 50%!!!" :rolleyes:

On review, yeah, Romney's better, even if there's lots of things I'd dislike about his policies. But I agree with him a lot more and hope he wins the nomination, though all signs seem top point to Huckabee... :(

Huckabee's also pro-religion in the schools(at least far more visibly than Romney), anti-abortion(even in cases of rape and incest!), doesn't show any support for stem cells like Romney(who tends to vary).

Huckabee at least is very pro-renewable energy though, and seems to be somewhat conservationist, but he still sucks. I'll reluctantly support Romney as the least of the numerous evils.

Saying "Romney varies" is like saying the wind varies. He goes where it blows. Which means he'd go whole hog for the Tea Party.

After Reagan and Bush, don't you think it's time the GOPers nominated a man with a 3 digit IQ?
Why would they nominate a democrat? :confused:

Saying "Romney varies" is like saying the wind varies. He goes where it blows. Which means he'd go whole hog for the Tea Party.

He's changed on some issues but who hasn't? :p

Something admirable about him is he can also keep his personal beliefs separate from legality, unlike most of his fellow party members.

To the GOP, that is.

Not really, that's more like the opposite of the situation right now. Giuliani would probably perform fine in a general election, but he has no chance in the GOP primary. He managed to implode his 2008 campaign by effectively refusing to campaign in any of the early states. He based his whole strategy on one state, Florida, and spent most of the campaign concentrating on it, and he still only came in third in that primary. Of course, he also kept a pro-choice position that worked in NYC by wasn't acceptable to major conservative power brokers.

In particular, 2008 was about as friendly toward Giuliani as it could be, since there was a major faction of the GOP that thought they should moderate their stances after the Bush disaster, which is part of why McCain won. 2010 on the other hand looks to be more like the 1964, when the GOP banked hard right and slightly libertarian in response to the election of a popular Democrat.

Either Trump is extremely stupid in publicly declaring that he believes in a completely discredited conspiracy theory or he's a soulless scumbag, saying whatever he thinks will pander him to the far right. I'm not surprised you like him, NickyJ.

You know who I'd like to see run for US President?

Ron Jeremy

Highest voter turnout ever (and you know you'd vote for him, too).

He's changed on some issues but who hasn't? :p

Something admirable about him is he can also keep his personal beliefs separate from legality, unlike most of his fellow party members.

It's perfectly acceptable, even good to have opinions that evolve with the facts. It is not good to have opinions that change depending on the audience you are pandering to at the moment.

It's perfectly acceptable, even good to have opinions that evolve with the facts. It is not good to have opinions that change depending on the audience you are pandering to at the moment.

Yeah, I think one of the most flagrant examples of that was Romney joining the NRA and trying to cast himself as some sort of hunter.

@Miles, yeah, I think Romney is certainly a very formidable candidate, and typically the Republicans go for the 'next in line' guy. I just think he's burned enough bridges that the establishment is going to bring out an Anti-Romney.

Donald "Mr Bankrupcy" Trump? Good God, man, why is he any better, fiscally, than Obama or Bush were?
$3 billion dollars made on his own is now bankruptcy? Really? Being able to make $3 billion dollars is really worse than increasing the deficit by about a trillion dollars? Huh. Never knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom