Who is/was the best James Bond actor?

Who is/was the best James Bond actor?

• Sean Connery

Votes: 58 58.0%
  • George Lazenby (Possibly a Joke option)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Roger Moore

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Timothy Dalton

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Pierce Brosnan

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Daniel Craig

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
Masquerouge said:
I'm very partial to Brosnan especially in his last Bond movie. He had the necessary class, but also showed a dark side to Bond that Connery lacked.

Daniel Craig looks even more badboy, he better be careful that Pomerania and their allies don't declare war on him.

Masquerouge said:
I'm very partial to Brosnan especially in his last Bond movie. He had the necessary class, but also showed a dark side to Bond that Connery lacked.
Tha's more of script issue than actior issue really.

Or what do you exactly mean?

IMO Bond has to be also kind of tragic figure.

chrisrossi said:
Daniel Craig looks even more badboy, he better be careful that Pomerania and their allies don't declare war on him.
Cannot agree with you.
Brosnan looked like softie and so does Craig in that photo.
But look Connery and just how he holds that gun along with that determined stare.

I guess I'm getting bit off too analytical for some. ;)

C~G said:
Cannot agree with you.
Brosnan looked like softie and so does Craig in that photo.
But look Connery and just how he holds that gun along with that determined stare.

I guess I'm getting bit off too analytical for some. ;)

Have you seen him in Layer Cake?

My problem with Lazenby: he had grayish hair and was a fistfighter. Bond should never be a fistfighter. That, and he wore a cardigan - inexcusable. Did I mention the bit where Telly Savalas plays Blofeld...:lol:

chrisrossi said:
Have you seen him in Layer Cake?
I have seen part of Layer Cake and have seen him in other films as well but that is like saying that have you seen Connery in Indiana Jones.

It's not about other roles, it's about being Bond.
Then again I will say that my opinion might change after I have seen Craigi actually in Bond film. But what I have seen this far...the word that comes to my mind is: fake Bond.

C~G said:
I have seen part of Layer Cake and have seen him in other films as well but that is like saying that have you seen Connery in Indiana Jones.

No, I can't really agree with you there. Although there is an obvious character difference, Daniel Craig is still playing the antagonist, who is the hero of the film. He has his dark sides, he gets things done, both characters are reliable, and other similarities.

chrisrossi said:
No, I can't really agree with you there. Although there is an obvious character difference, Daniel Craig is still playing the antagonist, who is the hero of the film. He has his dark sides, he gets things done, both characters are reliable, and other similarities.
I think the problem lies in the thing that I see different kind of prototype for Bond and Connery just doesn't only act according to it but ends up being the prototype. I don't see Craig being more than trying to be 21st century Bond which probably fails horribly when even compared to bit naiive older Bond films that starred Moore.
Bond cannot be in my mind compared to other action heroes as Bond has to have special characteristics which only Connery has been closest to have. Craig is quite far from this.

Example Craig has certain amount of "cold characteristics" as basis while Connery doesn't. This creates greater contrast between the more humane Bond by Connery and the dangerous Bond by Connery. Craig cannot ever achieve that unless he tries to fake it.
Connery as Bond is almost the same as seeing Henry Fonda playing the good and the bad in the same western.

In short Connery believe into his role more. You can read it from his eyes. Craig looks like any other action movie character who might try to be pretending to be Bond.

But of course this is just my personal perception, nothing else.

C~G said:
Craig cannot ever achieve that unless he tries to fake it.

But isn't acting "faking"? ;)

chrisrossi said:
But isn't acting "faking"? ;)
Yes of course. It's matter of degree really between acting and faking.

Like 2 metres tall white man playing to be 1 metre tall black man.

Sure, he can try, but don't ever expect anyone to believe it's true.

For me Bond is always Connery as much as of Indiana Jones being Harrison Ford. These characters and their actors are almost inseparable.

Connery
Dalton
Bronson
Moore

I cannot place Lazenby or this new fellow because one movie isn't enough to assess their "Bondness".

Oh, yeah. I've always liked him and never cared much for Brosnan (apologies for "Bronson" above) or Moore, be it in Bond movies or in others.

Dalton didn't play the role as what audiences expect of James Bond, but as more of a thriller actor. Licence to Kill was not a Bond movie by any stretch of the imagination.

That, and I, personally, can't stand the Bond girls of those two movies...

VRWCAgent said:
never cared much for Brosnan (apologies for "Bronson" above)

Haha, Bronson sounds more like a name than Brosnan does. What I'm wondering is whether their family name should be that, but some guy made a mistake when he was writing their name one day, or something...

chrisrossi said:
Haha, Bronson sounds more like a name than Brosnan does. What I'm wondering is whether their family name should be that, but some guy made a mistake when he was writing their name one day, or something...
Errrr....Charles Bronson?

nonconformist said:
Errrr....Charles Bronson?

:sad: His real last name was Buchinsky.

chrisrossi said:
It only sounds that way because you discounted Irish.

Panzeh said:
Dalton didn't have the charisma of Connery, but he seemed much more serious than either him or Moore.

I thought Dalton was plagued by being in mediocre movies, though.

Moore turned Bond into comedy hour. Connery dominated with his presence, but he also got the better movies.

I agree, Connery had some of the best films, Moore was too cheesy, but he had his moments and a few good films. Dalton was dragged into the mire with medicocre plots, given half a chance he could of made a half decent Bond, and for a while it looked like Pierce Brosnan(Goldeneye easilly his best outing, it had all I wanted from a Bond Movie) was going the same way, I mean those last two outings weren't great by any stretch of the imagination, it was starting to become a little unreal and farcicle and not in the good Bond way. I kinda liked David Niven, but one movie was enough really. Lazenby was a bit of a joke, the movie sucked and so did his acting, and the fight scenes were bizzarely unreal for me. Mind you his film was the inspirtation for fembots, that at least makes the outing beyond dismal.:)

All in all I'd say Connery, haven't seen the new guy but I hear he does stirling work, I hope they can keep the genre alive.

Top Bottom