Who is working?

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
I have been working all along, but I am probably not the norm. Who else is in an essential position?

Home workers, how has that worked for you? Are any of you back at the office or plant?

Who has been on part time? Who has make work to fill the hours? Who has been laid off? Whose job is gone gone?

J

Sometime going out sometime at home, 1 hour from now I will go out.

edit: You should make a poll.

I am working. I was permanently work from home before this and that didn't change. My sector of the economy was also classified as essential so if I had an office to go to, my bosses could have forced me to had they wished. I have a lot of friends in that boat right now, though many of them are working from home when they can. I have not been able to make my regular pilgrimage up the coast to my company's HQ though and I'm unsure when it will be safe to do that.

Been working from home for about two months. Workload is about the same

I'm not working (furloughed on 80% of pay) and I'm not likely to be until schools go back fully (so September I'd guess).
My sister has been going in to work 1 day per week instead of her usual 3 and her husband has been working from home (he worked from home before the virus but also visited clients which he isn't doing atm).
My brother and sister-in-law are also working from home atm.

I am retired.

My wife is a care worker and I drive her to work and back each working day.

Our two children are staying at home, doing some online study the school has set up.

Just been from recycling centre.

Home working.

Slightly reduced workload (as a lot of what I do is IT support for people who support schools) but have been able to take the opportunity to catch up on all those jobs that you put off for a time "when things are quieter"!

Not as efficient being at home - especially as doing home schooling for a nine year old, but at least I'm contributing in some way.

Essential worker. My work schedule hasn't changed much. Just a little more OT from time to time. And the work has been rearranged somewhat to have fewer people in contact with one another.

I've been working all the time (post office) . If it weren't for the masks I wouldn't have noticed the pandemic at all to be honest.

I've continued working pretty much as normal throughout.

Not because my job is 'essential' (I mean, yes, sort of, at least to the scientists who want to publish with us, but not to society in general — and a lot of researchers/ academics have had their activities curtailed as well), but because my work is (now) entirely screen-based, and the company offices are converted houses, where I have a room to myself (and right now even a building to myself). So I can go an entire working day without any face-to-face interaction required with anyone (sounds like heaven, right? Nope).

The only reason I'm not already doing home-office like a lot of my colleagues (including my 3 former housemates) — and my wife — is that there's something about our home-ISP which prevents me from accessing the company-intranet directly from home (whether from my PC, or from a Mac-notebook supplied by the company, which we tested during the first week of the lockdown). So someone in-house would have to mail the needed files out to me, and then upload them to our server once I'd mailed them back, i.e. they'd be interrupting their own work to facilitate mine. So I might as well be in-house, and do it myself.

Also, I use a Mac at work, and the latest version of Adobe Reader (for Mac?) allows me to add annotations to article-PDFs for our typesetters to implement in Quark. Conversely, my PC OS is Win8.1, and seems to have only an extremely limited — MS Metro-compatible :vomit: — version of Reader installed (or it's possibly even Cloud-based: I haven't yet been able to find the install-location on my C-drive), which doesn't allow this.

(We're using this rather outdated/clunky system because, to date, no-one has managed to persuade the boss to allow us to switch to a more modern desktop publishing/design package)

Lost all private lessons due to restrictions. Been doing some work over skype.

I can teach math in English, Latvian so if I marketed myself in some international market maybe I could do better.

Working from home: my company is a subcontractor on the project I'm currently working, so for the last few years I've been doing a lot of remote telecon work anyways. Now its just remotely dialing in from home instead of from the office.

D

Wal-Mart warehouse, so essential. Wife works at factory making car mufflers, so while it's 'manufacturing', they could have kept her, they laid her off after a week of the shutdown (some with more seniority still worked). She goes back Monday.

Computer scientist, not essential at all, but can do nearly everything from home.
This is not working out well, since I can't focus at home, and I get really little done :/.
Yes, this.

I need to be in a distinct "this-is-a-place-to-work" environment, otherwise my focus is terrible and I spend the day oscillating between productivity and browsing Reddit/CFC, taking naps, watching TV, drinking beer, and so on. I compensate for the idle periods by working until late in the evening, so the entire day blends together into a slurry of work and personal time.

Switched from busboy at a rodizio (buffet steakhouse) + part time online student to full time online student.

Top Bottom