Who is your favorite historical person?

Gaius Julius Caesar.

Cliché? Maybe so, but still. Was there ever a man with a greater self confidence?

Can i say more than one :mischief:

Julius Caesar
Alexander the Great
George Washington
Hannibal
Napolean

1. Hannibal Barca: finally stood up and delivered a powerful punch to Rome. Hannibal crossed 3 mountain ranges to finally get to Italy, and I admire his taste for having used horses and employed large bands of guerrillas to wear down the Roman armies.
2. Oliver Cromwell: Just because, no particular reason for liking him, although he did make a good general
3. Salah-Adin: amazing diplomatic skills, a very brilliant person as far as knowledge, and above average as a general
4. Elizabeth I: Badass Queen who wouldn't take crap from nobody, she was VERY smart and knowledgeable, very good diplomatic skills, and I love how she rewarded good people such as Drake, despite his being employed by her as a pirate. I admire her for standing up to Phillip II and his worthless threats of military force. Even most kings might have tried to work it out with Phillip instead of actually choosing to fight.

Basil II, the Bulgar-killer. He was a byzantine emperor that simply knew where to put his forces at best use. He increased byzantine prestige incredibly, and was the first emperor to actually reconquer territory from the Arabs: Syria, the whole of Armenia, etc...

Atlas14 said:
4. Elizabeth I: Badass Queen who wouldn't take crap from nobody, she was VERY smart and knowledgeable, very good diplomatic skills, and I love how she rewarded good people such as Drake, despite his being employed by her as a pirate. I admire her for standing up to Phillip II and his worthless threats of military force. Even most kings might have tried to work it out with Phillip instead of actually choosing to fight.

Had not been storms and an incompent general, England would be speaking spanish as now :p

HolyEmperor said:
Basil II, the Bulgar-killer. He was a byzantine emperor that simply knew where to put his forces at best use. He increased byzantine prestige incredibly, and was the first emperor to actually reconquer territory from the Arabs: Syria, the whole of Armenia, etc...

Yes, indeed, he was a rather good emperor, if cruel (that thing of blinding captured enemy soldier and sent them back to home in order to distroy economy and moral of Bulgary was, well, amazing...)

Had not been storms and an incompent general, England would be speaking spanish as now

One hates to be dreadfully pedantic, but it was the English fleet that drove the Spanish into that course of action and by extension the storms. The storms may have wrecked the armarda, but the English made it possible.

privatehudson said:
One hates to be dreadfully pedantic, but it was the English fleet that drove the Spanish into that course of action and by extension the storms. The storms may have wrecked the armarda, but the English made it possible.

I actually agree with Yaroslav, it wasn't the british fleet who drove the Spanish. However, the british fleet was numarically superior and took great advantage out of those storms... In my opinion, Britain is not speaking spanish now because of the problems the Habsburg empire was facing in continental Europe.

It was the English fleet's action tht drove the Spanish away from Parma's army at Calais and forced them to scatter. It was the English fleet that drove the Armarda eastwards after Gravelines, and it was the same fleet that harassed the armarda and prevented it from returning down the Channel to either retreat or attempt another link with Parma. Ultimately, it was not a storm that drove Medina Sedonia to choose to sail right round the British Isles rather than return from whence he came.

Weather was a vital factor in beating the Amarda, but to suggest that the English Fleet was just there for the fun of it and had no effect doesn't tell the whole story.

Why would we be speaking Spanish now even if the Armada had won? They don't speak Spanish in the Netherlands. I suspect it would take more than foreign occupation to make the English master another language...

Top Bottom