Who is your least favourite AI opponent?

Austria.

I dunno why, but I have a severe knee jerk reaction of total contempt and hatred for that fat wench. I don't like looking at her, I don't like talking to her, and I don't wanna see her any longer than I have to.

She dies first, every time.
the first 4 games of Civ V I played each had her and she started next to me every time, I totally agree.

^^Also agree on Austria.

Though Venice ranks up there as well. Was playing a game last night and Venice was my neighbor (I was playing as China).

There were four city states near us, and didn't Venice puppet them all?

Ticked me off and I wiped him off the map.

Speaking of Venice, is it just me, or does the voice sound like someone trying to feign old age and just coming out whiney and grating?

George Washington always takes an instant dislike to me, even tho' he pretends to be friendly. If America spawns within about 10 or 12 tiles of me at higher difficulties, I know to start preparing for war.

I hate Austria the most....just for existing. Their UA is bogus.

In terms of which leader irritates me the most that has to be Hiawatha. He is always a nice guy right up until he stabs you in the back and declares war on you. Before he inevitably stabs you in the back he will settle every tile of available space around you...cause thats not hugely passive aggressive or anything.

I hate him bc he is like a Romulan. Romulans rarely declare war. They just steal from you, assassinate your leaders and buildup military forces on your border until you attack...then they tell everyone you started it.

I hate Austria the most....just for existing. Their UA is bogus.

In terms of which leader irritates me the most that has to be Hiawatha. He is always a nice guy right up until he stabs you in the back and declares war on you. Before he inevitably stabs you in the back he will settle every tile of available space around you...cause thats not hugely passive aggressive or anything.

I hate him bc he is like a Romulan. Romulans rarely declare war. They just steal from you, assassinate your leaders and buildup military forces on your border until you attack...then they tell everyone you started it.

That's exactly what Washington does to me.

Favorite AI opponent? Personally I'm gonna have to go with a warlike guy as I like fighting. :p

My choice is the Mongols. They are an interesting warmonger in that they tend to DOW at least one city state BEFORE they attack a neighbor. So as far as early-rushes goes theirs often comes about 20 turns later. You have a nice warning that they are beginning to get restless when the first CS gets attacked, and can build up and repulse them for good xp. I love chewing through anient era units, it's fun! :D

Plus because they conquered a CS first people dislike them and no one cares if you steal a few of their cities. It's also easy to bribe others to join you against them! ;) Plus they are one of the few early warmongers that don't get their specialty when they first start to war so they aren't a serious threat. It's so sad seeing them get Keshiks right after I've kicked their butt at war. haha!

I hate having Hiawatha around like many other noticed. His constant land grab and high expansion favor negates my typical wide liberty play since he will DoW sooner or later. Also in this category would be Pocatello. I actually don't mind Shaka that much since him being neighbor means that he will die to my CB rush so he isn't much of a concern, and if he's further away, he's always my attack dog since it's easy to bribe him.

I also hate having Alex, Venice, Austra around due to their CS problems. If Venice is my immediate neighbor, then it doesn't really bother me since he'll die eventually and I'll either capture his city or liberate him.

alex is also a total nuisance. i tend to favour allying CS whenever i can manage it but this guy just makes it doubly hard, on top of the fact that he's a warmonger and peace blocks CS nonstop

alex is also a total nuisance. i tend to favour allying CS whenever i can manage it but this guy just makes it doubly hard, on top of the fact that he's a warmonger and peace blocks CS nonstop

He's in my game now, and he built the Great Wall and Himeji Castle. He is being his usual self, spamming useless cities, buying-out all the CS's, and also slowly taking juicy AI cities like Delhi.

He must have a coastal city somewhere but I haven't found it, so even tho' I dominate the seas that won't help much (except to defend against all his CS allies.) I'm sending a submarine around to the only spot on the map I haven't explored yet.

I think he's at war with everybody right now -- we dogpiled him, and the other AI's proposed it -- but nobody else is doing much. He *just* researched rifling and I saw him rush-buy one and kill my Tercio with it in the same turn. I'll have cavalry in about 2 turns (I hate that I won't be able to train any more conquistadors), then I may burn my GS for artillery or use Oxford for it. He also has marshes and forested-hills and a narrow mountain pass that I'll have to fight through to get to Athens. This is going to be an expensive war, but it's the one that decides this game.

Alexander drives me nutz. Also sometimes Shaka but mainly because it just changes the way I "want" to play by forcing hammers into units...

You know what: Oda. Forget him :). Such a guaranteed early rush.

I just has a Troll game as Spain on Immortal (with Mods), and got Mt. Kalish... but stuck next to Japan. My dreams of going wide with lovely super happy religion were dashed when after 3 cities Oda did his thing of offering a DOF and then promptly going full war and sending 12 units at my Kalish city while I was building NC in Capital. Was somewhat lucky to keep Kalish city (core 2 would have been safe).

But man.... so annoying. I ended up Comp Bowing one of his cities and getting a fast core-4 into Industrialization, but that's not how I wanted to play this game!

Darius for me. Persia always seems to be a beast in my games--strong, rich, tech, golden ages out the wazoo...

I added the advanced setup mod and deactivated Venice and Austria, removing them from the game. Firaxis wasn't thinking clearly when they decided that city states could not be liberated from acquisition, in my opinion.

If Venice or Austria are in the game, and especially if they are far from your starting position, they basically remove CS from the game entirely, which is game-breaking. It's terrible design and I'm so glad I was able to just completely remove those civs from the game entirely. I enjoy the game more now, because of it.

Civs like Greece and Mongolia still give me trouble if I'm trying to get CS allies (for example, if I'm playing Siam) but Greece and Mongolia don't break the game. I can liberate CS from the Mongols, and I can beat Greece at the ally game. It's challenging, but not broken. That's how it should be.

Firaxis wasn't thinking clearly when they decided that city states could not be liberated from acquisition, in my opinion.
I agree with you on this point! With Austria, the player at least gets some advance notice — since Austria cannot marry off until allied for a number of turns.

Venice is double bad since he is weak. Either the player or AI neighbor to Venice gets an undeserved buff.

Top Bottom