1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who likes Dostoevsky?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ukraineboy, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Ukraineboy

Ukraineboy Warlord

I just finished Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, and it was an amazing book.. Im not too much of a Dostoevsky fan yet, but I have started reading "The Idiot"... so far it is getting interesting.

Who else loves Dostoevsky books?

2. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

I do!
    The Possessed is my favorite. You have to read all his novels. All are good... even less known things like Gambler, Notes from Underground.

The question is: is he believer, or atheist?

3. Ukraineboy

Ukraineboy Warlord

I believe he is a believer.. especially from Crime and Punishment... Everything about atonement through suffering..

but who knows

4. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

I think he is debating belief in his books.

5. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle Supporter

I've read "The Brothers Karamazov," which was fantastic. The Inquisition story that Ivan tells Alexey paints another side to Dostoyevksy's belief. The basic premise has Jesus himself facing the Inquisition, with the church insisting that he be burned as a hereitc.
    I do think that Dostoyevsky was a believer, but that really wasn't until he got out of prison. The experience changed him, no doubt.
    I've also read some of his short stories, which I highly reccomend.

6. lord_byron_nz

lord_byron_nz Gimme some money

I lurve C&P.

The way Dostoevsky portrays the frantic mind of Raskalnikoff is brilliant, especially as the net tightens and his doom (or salvation?) becomes more certain. The Appendix kind of ruins it though.

7. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

I read the idiot and Crime and Punishment is on my to read list but never really come up. the idiot was great, i enjoyed it a lot.

8. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

Nothing like a Dostoyevsky prison novel to warm up a cold winter day

9. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

"The Brothers Karamazov" is the best story I have ever read. It is not for those with short attention spans, however. ;)

10. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

"Notes From the Underground" is the only Dostoevsky I have read but I definitely enjoyed it. I have a bit of a fetish for old literature: Dickens, Kafka, Tacitus and Nathaniel Hawthorne are other personal favorites.

11. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Brothers Karamazov is the best book ever.

12. RoddyVR

RoddyVR Veteran Board NESer

I didnt like Brothers Karamazov all that much.
    i did like Crime and punishment, but that might be cause i had to, i'm named for the main character.
    didnt read The Idiot, but did watch a 8+ hour movie made of it. if i hadnt seen the movie, i might have read the book.

i'm prety sure i've read a bunch of his other stuff, but not sure which of it was actualy him (dont remember writers just like i dont remember actors and directors in movies)

13. jpowers

jpowers Emperor

Why is it that they force 14-year-olds to read this in school, long before they have enough life experience to get anything of value out of it? Dostoevsky is a wonderful writer, but a High School student is exactly the opposite of the right audience.

14. RoddyVR

RoddyVR Veteran Board NESer

because they know that there's no way to force them to read it after highschool. atleast those that wont read it on their own.

15. andvruss

andvruss Deity

I've read The Brothers Karamavoz and Crime and Punishment. I found the Brother Karamazov to be much more interesting.

16. Laughing Gull

Laughing Gull charts, graphs, databases

Dostoevsky?

It's a little bit too bitter for my taste. As I have said before, I prefer Coors or Coors light.

17. Zcylen

Zcylen Moonlight Rambler

that guy has a great style, I really like the way he writes, altough I've read only one book, Im looking for more :D

18. toh6wy

toh6wy Emperor

I haven't been required to read any Dostoevsky in high school yet - even in my Russian class. (Though I have had to read some Tolstoy.)

19. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Believer. His books, are in large part, about faith during persecution. Consider the Devil's eulogy, during the court scene in TBK. In Notes from the Underground his faith is a lot more clear.

In heaven, he is the first person that my wife wants to meet. I am told they lose a lot in translation, amazing as that may sound.

J

20. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

Depends who translated it.. Usually it looks as good as original if it is done by another good writer.