Who makes the rules here, anyway?

Pellaken

The one and only.
earlier, responding to yet enother acient thread, bumped only to insert a wise-arse comment, Ot forum mod, AoA, commented that he would have to make a policy on the issue. the exact quote is:
"I will soon annouce a policy for this."
in this thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4620

I was wondering what the procedure is here at CFC on this issue. Can Moderators make thier own policies in the forums which they mod, or must all decisions be cleared by the Administrator(s) first?

also, in another thread conserned:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4750

AoA refered to posting this about anyone banned, again a quote:
"And if it's someone that's been banned withen the last 30 days, it will be two weeks."

is there a list of everyone banned that one can follow?

~Pellaken, conserned poster

edit, upon closer inspection, in the first thread, about napster http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4620 where the idea of a possible policy was announced, that post was made at:
Jun 19, 2002 02:12 PM
and the bump, at
Jun 19, 2002 01:45 PM

in the second thread, "tell me" http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4750
what I belive to be the policy he talked about announcing, was announced at
Jun 19, 2002 04:05 PM
yet the bump was made at
Jun 19, 2002 01:35 PM
before the first warning, and, in fact, before the other bump in question.

am I, and other posters, to expect retroactive laws? that if 3 offences are commited, the later ones found, weather posted first or not, are more likeley to be punished? is there a set of established guidelines on this? would someone, who posted a bump at Jun 19, 2002 01:25 PM, who will now be banned due to the new policy, have an avenue for appeal?

I am slightley confused, can you help me out at all on this issue?
any help would be greatley appreicated

thank you in advance

~Pellaken

It's my understanding that CFC works like the army. AoA, in this case, is the regimental sergeant major. We are his master corporals, corporals, warrant officers, privates and gunners.

If you need further details, please join the army. :D

I was wondering what the procedure is here at CFC on this issue. Can Moderators make thier own policies in the forums which they mod, or must all decisions be cleared by the Administrator(s) first?
Unless the "policy" is silly, stupid, too arbitrary, or unpopular, I usually just let mods decide the "policies" for particular forums to handle specific problems because they know their forums better.

Of course, I reserve the right to reject any policies that I don't like. ;)

^--- That is the way it has seemed to work, and it has worked well, overall. :)

Whenever someone suggests that the UK becomes a democratic republic then the response will often be "Who would you want instead of the Queen then? Margaret Thatcher?", which is a preposterous idea but I will nevertheless use it here. :D
If you don't like the rules then think on this: the alternative to the status quo is having floppa run everything. And who (apart from floppa) wants that?

As TF says, the forum mods regulate their areas as they see fit, unless he doesn't like it, then we change it, becuase what he says goes.

TF is the ultimate power here, make no mistake, but he gives us the room to do our jobs properly so as to insure the site works well, is fair to all and is free of BS.

Cross the boss, and it is death. :slay:

I was wondering if there is a central location where Forum specific rules are posted. I looked around, and didn't find anything. Maybe in the FAQ would be a good link to it, or something that stuck as the #1 post in each Forum. That way everyone could find it easily & keep up to date :).

BTW, I for one find most of those old threads bump the current topics off the the first page in OT, which is unnecessary. So I hope people will quit doing that, or just reference the old thread in a hyperlink within a current post if at all possible :eek: ....

There is nothing wrong with bumping an old thread for a valid reason, there was a run of stupid posting, which I recieved complaints about.

That being the case, I asked people to stop, they didn't so that meant is was gettin tough time. ;)

What would happen to a "bumped" thread if the "bump" post was simply deleted? That is, assuming the Mod decides the "bumped" thread was not appropriate to get bumped in the first place? Would the thead return to its place way back in history? I am thinking that it would. So maybe just axe the spam that brought it up to the forefront, and back it should go :)....

Also, AoA or TF or whoever, is there a place where regular users can look to see each individual Forum's rules (e.g., what the mods consider appropriate, what the discipline will be, etc.)? I'm thinking maybe it should be the very top thread with a title like "xxxxxxx FORUM RULES". This way, there could be no mistaking by some of just what the mod will permit, or emphasize, etc. In places like OT, I doubt most people read all threads and posts, esp. as the posts fade into the past....

?

i think the system now is good:1st and only warning,then probably a pm from a mod.then if you refuse or do really bad stuff 3 days ban,then 1 week ban than 1 month ban and if you still doesnt listen,well you are screwed then:)

Forget 24 hours, many are lucky we bother with 3 day bans, it used to be a week minimum.

Starlifter, the rule of thumb is common sense, posting just to see your name is a waste of time, but people do it, I'm tolerent to a point, but my patience has limits.
I don't delete posts or threads normally, unless they are very offensive or inappropreate, I will usually lock old threads that are bumped for no reason.

I can tell you my rules for OT, talk about anything you like, as long as you don't try to insult or inflame others, and I'll be fine with it.
Unfortunatly, a lot of people have a problem with that, they can't understand why I won't allow "trolling" or "flaming", since this is common on other sites.
The reason is easy, I don't like it, and it serves no purpose other then to get the idiot that wants it some sick thrill.
It spreads hard feelings, and they last a LONG time.

I find it is a lack of intellectual ability to be unable to talk about a subject without some rediculous bombastic insult, or outragious statement as a lead in for a point, valid or not.

CFC under TF's command has always been a game site dedicated to it's members, where like minded gamers can come and talk about all kinds of things in a friendly atmosphere, and I will do EVERYTHING in my power to maintain this.

If that means I have to get rough some times, so be it.

I can tell you my rules for OT, talk about anything you like, as long as you don't try to insult or inflame others, and I'll be fine with it.

The thrust of my question about having a specific place with a listing of a particular Forum's rules is not so much for myself, as it is a place for anyone to refer to, and standardize their knowledge. The mod could instantly communicate changing requitements & rules, and there would be no excuse and whining from people, because everyone could see the date on the subject line, and they should then read whatever is changed.

Example would be the spammy thread. Or the resurrection of old threads. Or the necessity to increase certain punishments. Or to tell people not to post in a certain way. Really, just about anything the Mod wants to get out from that moment forward.

Of course, the responsibility for posters is to read before posting, or not post at all. And if they read, and violate the Mod's rules, wellllll :hammer: :)

This idea probably applies mostly to the wilder forums like OT, but would be good for the mod of any Forum to do, even if their individual rules are short. Standardization of location of Forum rules makes it easier on the Mod's workload, particularly in busy forums like Civ 3 and OT. :eek:

Originally posted by starlifter

The thrust of my question about having a specific place with a listing of a particular Forum's rules is not so much for myself, as it is a place for anyone to refer to, and standardize their knowledge. The mod could instantly communicate changing requitements & rules, and there would be no excuse and whining from people, because everyone could see the date on the subject line, and they should then read whatever is changed.
Most of the different fora mini-rules are only temporary and if someone was to break it without knowing that they did they wouldn't be punished but get warned instead. Don't really think the temporary rules need to be posted but if TF wanted something like that I am sure we could do it. If we were to do it I hope we don't sticky a thread because some fora, like Civ3 - Gen, cannot handle any more sticky threads.

Top Bottom