1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who personifies [Ireland] to you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RedRalph, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

nonsense

2. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Spoiler :
    Sweden

Germany

Ireland

USA

England

3. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Scotland

England

4. Cashie

Cashie King

[Mexico] = [Salma Hayek]

Ahhh...

[South Korea] = [Roh Mu-hyun]

RIP you corrupt, beautifully goofy man

[Japan] = [Junichiro Koizumi]

[USA] = [Dr. Phil]

[England] = [Dave Lister/Craig Charles... OK maybe just Liverpool]

[Afghanistan] = [Sharbat Gula]

5. Whiskey_Lord

Whiskey_Lord Deity

Dr. Phil for the USA? Embarrassing, if only because it's so accurate.

6. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Germany:

USA:

7. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Finland:
    Spoiler :

But as they're characters from a movie then let's include THE person I think of about Finland if those two don't count:
    Spoiler :

Bernardo de O'Higgins! I used to live at O'Higgins Street in Buenos Aires a long time ago! (now it's still on my way from uni every single day)

8. Snoopy

Snoopy Prince

At first I was thinking it's impossible for one person to personify an entire country of people, but as I started thinking what Kiwi could personify New Zealand, a bunch of names starting running through my head, Ernest Rutherford, Richard Hadlee, Russell Coutts, but then I remembered this guy:

Sir Edmund Hillary

Yeah, he definitely sums up the personality and drive of the entire country. :goodjob:

9. The Dragon

The Dragon Chieftain

First names to pop into mind:
    The UK- Churchill
    Canada- Gretzky
    France- Joan of Arc
    Germany- Hitler
    Brazil- Gisele Bundchen
    Russia- Stalin
    Iceland- Bjork
    Mexico- Vicente Fox
    Australia- Crocodile Dundee. Or Steve Irwin
    Italy- Marcello what's his face who was in City of Women
    Ireland- St Patrick
    Greece- Pericles
    China- Mao
    Philippines- Corazon Aquino
    Netherlands- that little bald guy that scored 5 goals at the World Cup
    Chile- Neruda
    Colombia- Garcia Marquez
    Venezuela- Chavez
    Indonesia- Sukarno
    Belgium- Hercule Poirot
    Japan- Kissy Suzuki
    Poland- Lech Walesa

10. west india man

west india man Immortal

For me:

Spoiler :
    First names to pop into mind:
    The UK- Gordon Brown
    Canada- King
    France- Napoleon
    Germany- Bismark
    Brazil- Myself :smug:
    Russia- Peter I
    Iceland- Bjork
    Mexico- Montezuma II
    Australia- Julia Gillard
    Italy- Julius Caesar
    Ireland- St Patrick
    Greece- Leonidas
    China- Qin Shi Huang
    Netherlands- Willem van Oranj
    Colombia- Simón Bolivár
    Venezuela- Chavez
    Indonesia- Sukarno
    Belgium- Jean-Claude Van-Damme
    Japan- Tokugawa Iesayu
    Poland- Nobody

11. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Vicente Fox? Really? I mean, I know he was the first non-PRI president in 70 years, but, REALLY? Fox?

12. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Canada - Justin Bieber
    Ireland - U2

No one come to mind for the rest of the world.

Now I'll do the States!

Spoiler :
    New England in general - Brian Griffin
    Ohio - Satan
    Maryland -

Link to video.
    Virginia - Edgar Allan Poe
    North Carolina - Clay Aiken
    Georgia - MLK
    Mississippi - Bobby Gentry
    Texas - Beyonce
    Tennessee - Miley Cyrus
    New York - Snooki
    New Jersey - Deena
    Arizona - Hank's mom
    Missouri - Huck Finn
    Florida - Flo-rida
    Pennsylvannia - That one dude from that one season of the Real World (the D.C. one)
    Colorado - That other dude from the Real World D.C.
    California - Katy Perry
    Washington - Carly from iCarly

13. west india man

west india man Immortal

I thought he was from New Jersey?

14. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

New Jersey, Ohio, Florida, they're all the same.

or at least that's what I hear. >.>

15. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

You need to start hearing different people. We may be a bit dull, but we are NOT evil.

16. metatron

metatron unperson

Ok, hand me a list of statesmen who became famous by being nice and decent people then.
    (Again: I'm talking becoming famous as a statesmen here. Not becoming famous first and then becoming a statesman.
    Oh and by "famous" i mean "an average American high school student might actually know them".)

17. Dachs

So every statesman must have been a total d-bag or a nice and decent person? Really?

Seriously, though, um: Gladstone? Castlereagh? Both on a standard sophomore-level world-history class curriculum when I went through high school...

18. metatron

metatron unperson

*sigh*
    Erm, no.
    1. I didn't write that at all.
    2. What i did write i qualified with "usually".

I may rephrase to make the whole thing more clear if that helps you:
    Warfare and societal conflict usually go a long way to making a statesman reknowned and usually have a bigger impact on their name recognition than merits or character.
    I admit that you have caught me somewhat off guard since i believed this was mostly about statesmen in....the age of electricity?*
    Well Bismark should have tipped me off. And since the AP history equivalent i took actually reached "C" in the alphabet my knowledge regarding both figures is negligibly small. I'm just disclaiming that instead of entering some futile discussion regarding their merits. I am ready to admit that you - in all likelyhood - know more about (historic) statesmen than i do. Which in itself doesn't discredit my (rather vague) theory.
    Anyway...
    They wouldn't have topped my list of people representing Great Britain. They wouldn't have topped my list of British statesmen either. And i dare say i suspect i'm with a majority here. And i guess most people would be able to sum up Bismark's achievements (or Oda Nobunaga's) in fewer words than Gladstone's or Castlereagh's.

So to turn this post of yours into any real argument, you have to tell me in your words what makes the two significant enough (more significant than other British statesmen) to qualify, explain why nobody has brought them up in this thread and convince me that at least 1 in 1,000 Americans (let alone people outside the Anglosphere) would utter their names in response to the question: "Who personifies Great Britain to you?"

Despite the little i know about them offering some indication to the contrary i trust you that they are both of excellent character. ;)

*This is a joke. Please don't get back at me with a definition or timeframes.

But i concede that...
    "...by 'famous' i mean 'an average American high school student might actually know them'."
    ...was a rather unwise definition.
    Touché.

19. Dachs

Well, the point of the thread wasn't to have an argument, the point of the thread was to post people you thought of when a given country came up. And although I certainly am interested in both Gladstone and Castlereagh (more so the latter than the former), I wouldn't say "FAVORITIST BRITISHERS OF ALL TIEM!!!!11" (much less "favorite politicians" or "statesmen" or anything like that). That'd have to go to Malcolm Tucker, who is fictional, and already posted in this thread. There is no particular reason for this (according to the OP, there shouldn't have to be!) other than my enjoyment of The Thick of It in general and the Tucker character specifically.

So yeah, I mean, providing objective criteria goes against the whole spirit of the thread. I realized this earlier when I whined that Justinian has nothing to do with Serbia. Well, sure, but wim claimed that that's who he thought of first, so who am I to say he's wrong? :dunno:

Anyway, Castlereagh is easy. Inaugurated forty years of Great Power peace in Europe, which is pretty good for a guy who died seven years after it started. And yeah, it was mostly his doing, both in the 1813 and 1814 conferences and at Vienna itself. Peace is objectively a good thing, I'm pretty sure everyone can agree.

Gladstone is kind of harder, because he was one of those guys that was an extremely nice, moral dude (not just in terms of foreign policy, where he was all "stand up for the little man" depending on who the little man was at the moment) and whose foreign and domestic policy was almost certainly motivated by his personal morality. It just so happened that his morality was coincident with things that seemed to work in Britain's best interests. He was totally consistent, even over the Egyptian imbroglio (Brits invade Egypt to 'fix its finances'). Specific, objective things? Extending the franchise, helping out the Egyptians, championing the cause of Oppressed Nationalities (tm) everywhere, and so on, but I mean, Gladstone is probably most famous for, well, being that nice guy. And for switching on and off with Disraeli for the premiership.

20. metatron

metatron unperson

See, i devised that little theory without objective criteria in mind and for the most part with the motivation of cheering up Shekwan.
    But you do agree, that - your personal preference aside - they have rather bad name recognition compared to the statesmen that were posted in the thread?
    (Even a moron who can't find Russia on a map knows Stalin, i guess.)